Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    I´m really wondering if you are talking seriously or not. I respect your opinion and your wishes but MCU is not the Comics, MCU exists because of the comics, without them, it is just nothing.

Your opinions and wishes are not mine, respect the wishes and opinions of other people if they don´t want what you wants.
    I'm dead serious. And if Marvel Comics know one thing or two about strengthening their brand instead of diluting it creating several versions of the same character, they should change Brunnhilde's likeness to Tessa's if she is really playing that character. It's way better than creating other character and ignoring Brunnhilde. If Tessa is playing other Valkyrie tho, then she should be the one getting prominence. Comics and movies should walk together. Just look like D.C. is successfully doing it. I wish they'd make Deadshot look like Will Smith, but other than that they made Harley very close to the film version, and the main characters are all the main characters from the films. Which makes sense, since enhances the brand.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    Yes because if we were going to demand fidelity to the mythology NONE OF THEM would look like they do in the comics. It makes sense that she is black because this is fiction. It's Marvel Nordic version of the mythology, and I'd love to see the change happening. Hopefully Marvel has the change already planned at this point. When I think of Heimdall, I don't think about a white dude and I don't think there's literal any problem with that.
    Marvel has African pantheons. Would you feel just as okay with an Asian or Norwegian being cast in a similar role?

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

You're out of luck because since Tony Stark became Tony Stark, I mean since RDJ started playing him, it's noticeable how much every single writer tries to emulate his voice, to varying degrees of success. Superman's portrays, demeanor and likeness was changed by Christopher Reeve's performance. We can see that until this very day. It was only fair that the same happened with Iron Man, and the same goes for Tessa's Brunnhilde.
    I don't see it sorry but hey that's me I don't see any of Robert Downey Jr.s potrayal in how he's written in the comics but again that's my opinion I just don't see it.

And no I don't think they need to have Valkyrie/brunnhilde in anyway resemble the film version.

Quote Originally Posted by KingsLeadHat View Post
    Marvel has African pantheons. Would you feel just as okay with an Asian or Norwegian being cast in a similar role?
    If it made sense, yes. Changing Heimdall and Brunnhilde makes sense since it doesn't change the core of the character at all. So I'm completely cool with that. If Marvel made Nightrasher white, and it made sense, I wouldn't be bothering the slightest. Same for let's say making Triathlon white. Why? These are obscure characters, and as long as it makes sense, I'm fine with they casting and changing characters likenesses.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    I don't see it sorry but hey that's me I don't see any of Robert Downey Jr.s potrayal in how he's written in the comics but again that's my opinion I just don't see it.

And no I don't think they need to have Valkyrie/brunnhilde in anyway resemble the film version.
    Both Gillen and Bendis have gone on record that when they write Iron Man, they do it with RDJ's voice in mind. Both praised his performance saying that it's impossible to not have him in mind while writing for Iron Man. So there you go.
    Pull list:

If it made sense, yes. Changing Heimdall and Brunnhilde makes sense since it doesn't change the core of the character at all. So I'm completely cool with that. If Marvel made Nightrasher white, and it made sense, I wouldn't be bothering the slightest. Same for let's say making Triathlon white. Why? These are obscure characters, and as long as it makes sense, I'm fine with they casting and changing characters likenesses.
    Ah, they're obscure. So it's partially a cynical move based around economics. So, technically, Thor could be a black woman? Why not? Personally, I'd throw a fit if someone made Black Panther a white South African but that's just me.

I'm not a fan of changing the comics to look like the movies in general, so no, especially since it never really encourages these apparent new readers to support movie characters anyways.

If they want to include a new Valkyrie to the order who looks like her in the books, then fine, but don't fix what isn't broken.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Ah, they're obscure. So it's partially a cynical move based around economics. So, technically, Thor could be a black woman? Why not? Personally, I'd throw a fit if someone made Black Panther a white South African but that's just me.
    Neither Thor or Black Panther are obscure. Valkyrie, Heimdall, Nightrasher and Triathlon are. Also, it wouldn't make sense to make Black Panther a white South African because he is a Wakanda heir from a black Wakandan dynasty. Now Brunnhilde is a Valkyrie, it's not set in stone she needs to be white, since the Asgard in the comics is very different than the Nordic Asgard mythology. Also, did you know that Colleen Wing used to be white in the comics?

Now when I think of her I don't see Byrne's character, but Jessica Henwick's likeness. Things change, and I'm cool with that.
    Pull list:

Because it's meaningless to who the character is and it's good for the brand that more diverse characters show up, especially when they become the most well known version of the character.
    Its not me meaningless for who the character is. You would be saying this if the character in question was a minority character like Sunfire. The version in the trailer isn't the most well known version. The comic book version is. Also lets talk well known Hulk is in the trailer also. That isn't Cho. Bruce is the most well known version. The movies are vastly inferior to the comics. Look at Guardians. Why would we want that for every title.

I don't personally lose sleep over race bending, but judging from Last Air Bender and the Gods of Egypt thing that can in theory be an issue with SOME people.

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    Its not me meaningless for who the character is. You would be saying this if the character in question was a minority character like Sunfire. The version in the trailer isn't the most well known version. The comic book version is. Also lets talk well known Hulk is in the trailer also. That isn't Cho. Bruce is the most well known version. The movies are vastly inferior to the comics. Look at Guardians. Why would we want that for every title.
    Actually, no. The version in the trailer already is the most famous version. Most people don't even read comics. And I'd strongly disagree about the films been inferior to the comics. Marvel Comics has been a mess lately, while the MCU is on fire. And I agree, Bruce Banner is Hulk, and I don't think Amadeus Cho should be Hulk either. But I don't see nothing wrong in changing Brunnhilde to look like in the film. Same for Heimdall. If anything, it makes sense.
    Pull list:

Neither Thor or Black Panther are obscure. Valkyrie, Heimdall, Nightrasher and Triathlon are. Also, it wouldn't make sense to make Black Panther a white South African because he is a Wakanda heir from a black Wakandan dynasty. Now Brunnhilde is a Valkyrie, it's not set in stone she needs to be white, since the Asgard in the comics is very different than the Nordic Asgard mythology. Also, did you know that Colleen Wing used to be white in the comics?

Now when I think of her I don't see Byrne's character, but Jessica Henwick's likeness. Things change, and I'm cool with that.
    Actually, it was established early on she was part Japanese (like an issue or two after the one you just referenced.) her character design just never reflected her genealogy.
    Last edited by Nazrel; 04-11-2017 at 06:11 AM.

I'm dead serious. And if Marvel Comics know one thing or two about strengthening their brand instead of diluting it creating several versions of the same character, they should change Brunnhilde's likeness to Tessa's if she is really playing that character. It's way better than creating other character and ignoring Brunnhilde. If Tessa is playing other Valkyrie tho, then she should be the one getting prominence. Comics and movies should walk together. Just look like D.C. is successfully doing it. I wish they'd make Deadshot look like Will Smith, but other than that they made Harley very close to the film version, and the main characters are all the main characters from the films. Which makes sense, since enhances the brand.
    Nope, The comics move at a faster pace and a wider scope than the movies, that would mean that it would that the movies will need to reflect the comics and not the comics reflect the movies (no one wants that). If it were the other way around it would be a recon nightmare. And the Harley concept was most likely a one time deal, Batman is not like the movies, Aquaman ain't changing, Superman's does not look like the his movie counterpart and on and on and on. There is no other reason to "race change" Valkyrie other than the movie and that is not a good reason. That and we don't know the back story of the movie Valkyrie yet it may be totally different from the comics.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    Actually, it was established early on she was part Japanese (like an issue or two after the one you just referenced actually.) her character design just never reflected her genealogy.
    I'm aware of that and this is implied since her last name is Wing. But my point still stands, changing Brunnhilde and Heimdall to look like they do in the MCU could be explained way lot easier than Nick Fury, and it makes loads of sense to make these characters look like the most famous versions of them. It's good to the brand and also adds diversity to the Thor's comic book mythology. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that when he thinks of Heimdall, sees Idris Elba. Same will happen with Valkyrie.
    Pull list:

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Nope, The comics move at a faster pace and a wider scope than the movies, that would mean that it would that the movies will need to reflect the comics and not the comics reflect the movies (no one wants that). If it were the other way around it would be a recon nightmare. And the Harley concept was most likely a one time deal, Batman is not like the movies, Aquaman ain't changing, Superman's does not look like the his movie counterpart and on and on and on. There is no other reason to "race change" Valkyrie other than the movie and that is not a good reason. That and we don't know the back story of the movie Valkyrie yet it may be totally different from the comics.
    Who do you think when you think of Heimdall? If Tessa is playing Brunnhilde and she becomes popular and the trailer indicates she will, it makes loads of sense to bring her to the comics imho. Same for Heimdall.
    Pull list: