Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    Who do you think when you think of Heimdall? If Tessa is playing Brunnhilde and she becomes popular and the trailer indicates she will, it makes loads of sense to bring her to the comics imho. Same for Heimdall.
    Heimdall.jpg

I love Idris Elba, He is probably my favorite actor today and can't wait for the Dark Tower to come out because I know he is going to be awesome in it but, the Marvel comic book Heimdall is not the MCU one they are separate. There should definitely be a line between the comics and the movies allowing each to be creative on its own with out being tied down by the other. Should Peter Parker go back to being a high school kid because that is what is going on in the movies? Should they kill Janet van Dyne becasue she sort of died and bring Hank back as an old man because that is what is going on in the movies? No not at all

Also, Hope van Dyne does not exist in Marvel cannon yet is a big part of the MCU in Antman, that one move would make one big recon to make the comics follow the movies.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 04-11-2017 at 06:53 AM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Fantastic Member

Also, did you know that Colleen Wing used to be white in the comics?

Now when I think of her I don't see Byrne's character, but Jessica Henwick's likeness. Things change, and I'm cool with that.
    No, Colleen was always of mixed race, just like Jessica Henwick.

Quote Originally Posted by KingsLeadHat View Post
    Ah, they're obscure. So it's partially a cynical move based around economics. So, technically, Thor could be a black woman? Why not? Personally, I'd throw a fit if someone made Black Panther a white South African but that's just me.
    I doubt it, but your concern trolling is noted.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Reasons

1. Tessa Thompson is amazing and looks iconic
    2. It's great for new fans, most of whom will be confused by a blonde, white Valkyrie in the comics
    3. Marvel's independent films don't really have an iconic black woman since storm is with fox.

Has Valkyrie even been seen since the Hickman run of the avengers? Since the universe hiccuped you could just have the new Valkyrie appear and no-one in the comic book would need to bat an eye
    As a person of color I say that would just feel weird to me. I would probably be strongly opposed to it. I don't mind it in the movie though because I don't think this is truly the same character from the comics. So in Thor-speak, I say thee nay!

iMan 42s

Both Gillen and Bendis have gone on record that when they write Iron Man, they do it with RDJ's voice in mind. Both praised his performance saying that it's impossible to not have him in mind while writing for Iron Man. So there you go.
    Yeah but multiple writers are using Tony right now, or have been recently independent of Gillen or Bendis and I hate to break it to you but the portrayal isn't all that consistent (see; Superior Iron man, New Avengers, ANAD Avengers, even his appearances in Spider-man which was also written by Bendis). Tony also acted that way pre-MCU which was why it was more accepted than other post-MCU revisions. MCU Tony and Comic Tony are not really all that different in personality and Tony already acted enough like RDJ beforehand.

A better comparison is Tony using MCU elements in his armors as that's something you could point to the MCU actually influencing. Otherwise Tony is just more prominent now than he has been in previous decades which is why it's that more noticeable.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

I've always seen the MCU as another universe within the larger MU so when (some) race, origin or character changes happen, it doesn't bother me (or maybe it's because I actually started reading comics because of the MCU).

However, I don't agree with the OP. We don't know who exactly(the very lovely and talented) Tessa Thompson is playing so I don't think it is a needed change.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the MCU Avengers are based on the Ultimate versions, yes? Isn't Ultimate Nick Fury black and wasn't he later based on Samuel Jackson's appearance when he was redesigned in 2002? Why do people always bring him up whenever they accuse the MCU of racebending? I mean if you're making a cinematic universe that takes inspiration from the Ultimate comics, who else would you cast as Nick Fury? The character himself said he would want SJ to play him in a hypothetical movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I've always seen the MCU as another universe within the larger MU so when (some) race, origin or character changes happen, it doesn't bother me (or maybe it's because I actually started reading comics because of the MCU).
    The earth in the MCU is listed as Earth-199999, and one in the comic universe is listed as Earth-616. So you're right to look at it as two different universes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiv...Marvel_Comics) this explains where the likes of Ultimates is set.

And I've no problem with Tessa playing Valkyrie, just as I had no problem with Scarlett playing Major.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Well, no.
    I am. on board if Marvel decides to add another member to the Valkyrior. But changing Brunhilde's look in comics is just pointless and unnecessary. Also I am not even sure Tessa is playing Brunnhilde.
    I highly doubt she's playing Brunnhilde simply because they've only referred to her as Valkyrie thus far. There's no reason to hide her name as the character isn't big enough for a reveal to be some kind of reward.

Extraordinary Member

Actually Silvermoth has given the perfect explanation for that. Since it's quite certain that she wasn't even seen after Secret Wars, when the world restarted she now just isn't white anymore. Not sure if Heimdall has shown up, but if he didn't, they should do the same with him.
    Heimdall is still around in Mighty Thor.

Extraordinary Member

Did Logan get any taller because of Hugh Jackman? No, he is still a short bub.
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 04-11-2017 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Also, Hope van Dyne does not exist in Marvel cannon yet is a big part of the MCU in Antman, that one move would make one big recon to make the comics follow the movies.
    Hope's comics counterpart is Nadia Pym. She was de-aged and had her mother changed because of Hank being younger and the fact Janet being her Mom definitely wouldn't fit in continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Hope's comics counterpart is Nadia Pym. She was de-aged and had her mother changed because of Hank being younger and the fact Janet being her Mom definitely wouldn't fit in continuity.
    There is no similarity between Evangeline Lilly's Hope in the movies and Nadia's Wasp other than Pym as the father. Hope's actual comic counterpart is an out off cannon universe (MC2) that was set off of a What If book in the late 90s. She was a villain in those books though and has no similarity with the movies other than the name and her parents.

And if it is a case of the comics trying to reflect the movies it is a case and point of why it shouldn't. Nadia was not that well received and most likely will not be seen much in the future.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 04-11-2017 at 08:31 AM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Actually, no. The version in the trailer already is the most famous version. Most people don't even read comics. And I'd strongly disagree about the films been inferior to the comics. Marvel Comics has been a mess lately, while the MCU is on fire. And I agree, Bruce Banner is Hulk, and I don't think Amadeus Cho should be Hulk either. But I don't see nothing wrong in changing Brunnhilde to look like in the film. Same for Heimdall. If anything, it makes sense.

What has been a mess about Marvel Comics? So should Laura Kinny be a little girl now? If you ask anyone that isn't a comic fan who are the characters in the trailer are just about everyone you ask is only going to get two correct. Thor and Hulk. Changing a characters race just to do it shouldn't be acceptable. Also would you like Tony Stark appearing in every title as he seems to in the movies. I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Did Logan get any taller because of Hugh Jackman? No, he is still a short bub.
    Yes and it has annoyed me sense they did it.

I don't think they should do that. If anything they can do something like with Fury were the new one has the same name as the old one but looks different.

The comics are their own beast and should remain like that. For example: I am still not a fan of the fact that Barton doesn't wear a custome anymore either just because he had SHIELD clothes in the movies.
    It doesn't have to be the same all the time.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter