Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I don't personally lose sleep over race bending, but judging from Last Air Bender and the Gods of Egypt thing that can in theory be an issue with SOME people.
    I'm a white male and I think the casting of Gods of Egypt was just as absurd, if not more so, than the Thor casting issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    Neither Thor or Black Panther are obscure. Valkyrie, Heimdall, Nightrasher and Triathlon are. Also, it wouldn't make sense to make Black Panther a white South African because he is a Wakanda heir from a black Wakandan dynasty. Now Brunnhilde is a Valkyrie, it's not set in stone she needs to be white, since the Asgard in the comics is very different than the Nordic Asgard mythology. Also, did you know that Colleen Wing used to be white in the comics?

Now when I think of her I don't see Byrne's character, but Jessica Henwick's likeness. Things change, and I'm cool with that.
    It's entirely possible to re-frame Black Panther as a white South African and heir to some secret white empire based in Africa. Wouldn't take much work. It would be colossally stupid and would totally miss the purpose of Lee and Kirby's original creation, but it technically could be done.

You keep saying that the Asgard of comics is very different from mythology, but that's not really the case in terms of the overall framework. Sure, Kirby introduce some sci-fi themes into the mix, but save for the slight Mongolian look of Hogun the Grim, all the Asgardian's we see are beings that the ancient Vikings would have recognized as idealized versions of themselves.

I think the movie Valkyrie is a composite character of Thor's Val and the Blue woman who had Hulk's baby. Making the colour of her skin not that important when casting, because she's not the same exact person from the comics.

BANNED

Valkyrie is usually Brunnhilde's soul in another woman's body, so yes changing her to look like Tessa Thompson could work. Or she could simply be another Valkyrie. Marvel changes it's comics to follow the movies not to generate a whole new audience of comic book fans. Comic books, a Marvel CEO once said, are there research and development. Ideas that work out in the comics make it to the films. Big elements of unworthy Thor and WW2 Hulk made it into Thor: Ragnarok.

BANNED

I love Hela. She's so awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Reasons

1. Tessa Thompson is amazing and looks iconic
    2. It's great for new fans, most of whom will be confused by a blonde, white Valkyrie in the comics
    3. Marvel's independent films don't really have an iconic black woman since storm is with fox.

Has Valkyrie even been seen since the Hickman run of the avengers? Since the universe hiccuped you could just have the new Valkyrie appear and no-one in the comic book would need to bat an eye
    While I would have loved to see Valkyrie look (more) like the comics, I understand they change most likely to some degree.

However, I do want to see a long, golden, dragon-head hilt on Dragonfang!!

Quote Originally Posted by KingsLeadHat View Post
    I'm a white male and I think the casting of Gods of Egypt was just as absurd, if not more so, than the Thor casting issues.
    The casting of GoE was fine if you bother to know the mythology and see that their gods have all sorts of skin colors that include green, gold, and white. Like THE color white not a white person. On the other hand, Heimdall is described as actually being white. Some Valkyries have also being described as having white skin.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I have never read anything with Valk but the movie version makes her look like a typical side character. Comic version looks way better. Instead why not just introduce her as a different valk like they are doing for the other heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Or Nadia as the Hope Van Dyne stand-in in the comics.
    That was even worse. They don't even have the same name, she can't get together with Scott cause she's a teenager, and she has a red suit while Hope has a yellow one...

i actually agree and feel the same about aquaman in the dc books.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i actually agree and feel the same about aquaman in the dc books.
    Wow. While I can see the reasoning behind this one even more than with Valkyrie, taking a character so well known in popular culture and race bending him would be almost... dare I say, crazy. o.o;

Mighty Member

Strictly in regards to the OP:

You're saying that you want to race change the character soley because:

1. Tessa Thompson is cool and
    2. To add another black female to the Marvel character stable

Considering we're making this change to appease the equal representation crowd, whether or not you believe in that or not, this decision will please no one.

Fans of the Scandinavian look will be upset that she was changed, and people who are wanting more diversity will be upset at the tokenism of it, that is to say, making a character [insert minority identifier] just so you can put a button on your lapel saying 'look how diverse I am' without actually doing any work to be diverse other than coloring a character a dark color.

Now, if you're referring to rebooting the character overall, that's a different situation. But if you're referring to a coloring change? yeah, bad move.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Valkyrie is usually Brunnhilde's soul in another woman's body, so yes changing her to look like Tessa Thompson could work. Or she could simply be another Valkyrie. Marvel changes it's comics to follow the movies not to generate a whole new audience of comic book fans. Comic books, a Marvel CEO once said, are there research and development. Ideas that work out in the comics make it to the films. Big elements of unworthy Thor and WW2 Hulk made it into Thor: Ragnarok.
    Not ture, she body jumped with Dr Strange's help many years ago in the Defenders but Brubaker retconned all of that with the Secret Avengers what the return of who he said was the " original Brunnhilde". The next time was when Clea merged the life forces of her and Annabelle (they co-habitat one body) . Valkyrie has show up once that I know of after Secret Wars and I don't think it addressed the Annabelle issue which may have been retconned out. Valkyrie is not a body hopper and as far as I can tell is in her original body according to cannon.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    That was even worse. They don't even have the same name, she can't get together with Scott cause she's a teenager, and she has a red suit while Hope has a yellow one...
    Nadia translates to hope.... but that does not make it better, all of the contrast between the two are to great to be any where near the same person.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Astonishing Member

I'd be cool with a new valkyrie based on her

She looks fantastic and a new valkyrie would be cool

Although if I recall didn't the spirit of the original valkyrie inhabit a human so that could work too to accommodate a new update