Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Six pages in, and what's this nonsense about Valkyrie being obscure? Are you all about 20 years old? Valkyrie was for long enough in The Defenders, even in The Ultimates world she was blonde and white, she then appeared in Fear Itself...and then I lost track...ok this was all a while ago but nevertheless, she's been "front and centre" enough not to be obscure...so making her otherwise for me counts as messing round with a long established character, like what's happened with Thor, Cap, Hulk etc..and apparently there's a reversal coming on this isn't there?

Fine in the film, change things around a bit, artistic licence in that medium, but not in the comics...I'm fine with Marvel's diversity moves by the way, but the films and the comics don't have to be symbiotic.

Jon

That was suppose to be Valkyrie?

I like her standard look. I'm not just a big fan of the actress that they chose to play her in Ragnarok.

Yes.......

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    Because it's meaningless to who the character is and it's good for the brand that more diverse characters show up, especially when they become the most well known version of the character.
    Why not make a brand new character? And appearance does actually matter in a race obsessed society.

I want Tesa Thompson's new character to be her own not just a diverse replacement who will likely keep the same personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I think they should simply create another Valkyrie based on Tessa Thompson and give her prominence.
    agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by majormcmeat View Post
    Yeah, that's what Marvel needs, more constant pandering to the movie audience as if that's going to bring in new customers.
    word.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SplinteringHeart View Post
    Six pages in, and what's this nonsense about Valkyrie being obscure? Are you all about 20 years old? Valkyrie was for long enough in The Defenders, even in The Ultimates world she was blonde and white, she then appeared in Fear Itself...and then I lost track...ok this was all a while ago but nevertheless, she's been "front and centre" enough not to be obscure...so making her otherwise for me counts as messing round with a long established character, like what's happened with Thor, Cap, Hulk etc..and apparently there's a reversal coming on this isn't there?

Fine in the film, change things around a bit, artistic licence in that medium, but not in the comics...I'm fine with Marvel's diversity moves by the way, but the films and the comics don't have to be symbiotic.

Jon
    I consider any character that has not been in multiple mediums obscure. Valkyrie has not to my knowledge appeared in any cartoons or live action properties.

The nature of the character implies for different versions no reason why she has to body jump to a blonde woman Everytime.

As for Heimdall I thought he was like a call back to the Moors the same way Hogun is a call back to the Huns

Quote Originally Posted by C_haos View Post
    I consider any character that has not been in multiple mediums obscure. Valkyrie has not to my knowledge appeared in any cartoons or live action properties.

The nature of the character implies for different versions no reason why she has to body jump to a blonde woman Everytime.

As for Heimdall I thought he was like a call back to the Moors the same way Hogun is a call back to the Huns
    She's appeared pretty consistently anytime a cartoon or animated movie have featured Asgard, and I also think she's appeared in a few games.

Quote Originally Posted by C_haos View Post

Per wikipedia.

Television

Valkyrie appears in The Super Hero Squad Show episode "Mental Organism Designed Only for Kissing" voiced by Michelle Trachtenberg.[52] Thor falls in love with her when she helps Ms. Marvel, Thor, and Iron Man fight Abomination, Fin Fang Foom, and MODOK. When Iron Man tries to invite Valkyrie out to a "Ride of the Valkyries" performance, Valkyrie declines noting Iron Man's failure to gather the Infinity Sword Fractals.
    Valkyrie appears in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes episode "The Fall of Asgard", voiced by Colleen O'Shaughnessey. She, Sif, and the other Valkyries rescue Ant-Man and an unconscious Wasp from Ymir and the Frost Giants.

Brunnhilde appears in the Hulk vs. Thor segment of the Hulk Vs DVD, voiced by an uncredited Nicole Oliver. She and her Valkyrior troops defend Asgard from an attack by the Hulk, who had separated from Bruce Banner by Loki. She is immediately swatted aside by Hulk when she attacks him.
    Brunnhilde appears in Thor: Tales of Asgard voiced by Cathy Weseluck.

Video games

Valkyrie appears as an NPC in the video game Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, voiced by Nika Futterman. Weasel has a crush on her, but she is annoyed by him and is instead attracted to Deadpool, though he does not reciprocate her feelings. Deadpool states to Valkyrie that Weasel has that way with women ever since he brought his cousin to the prom. During the quest to open Bifrost Bridge, Valkyrie will ask the heroes to recover her sword Dragonfang. If the player finds her sword Dragonfang, Asgard will be easily freed with her aid, Loki will be imprisoned in chains, and Ragnarok never comes to pass. If the player doesn't find Dragonfang, Valkyrie will fall in the battle to free Asgard, Balder will die trying to save her, and Asgard will refuse contact with Earth for a century. When Dragonfang is found, Valkyrie will use her abilities to call it to her. When Odin is freed from his dark magic confinement, he will be recalled to Asgard by Valkyrie to recover.
    Valkyrie is a playable character in Marvel Super Hero Squad Online, voiced by Grey DeLisle.
    Valkyrie appeared as an unlockable character in Marvel: Avengers Alliance, only accessible after completion of the tasks of Spec Ops 5. She would later become a permanent recruit.
    Valkyrie appears in Marvel Heroes voiced by Michelle Arthur.
    Valkyrie is a playable character in Lego Marvel's Avengers voiced by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn. She is found in the Asgard hub where she requests help from the player into finding female Asgardian warriors to join her Valkyrior army.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Per wikipedia.

Television

Valkyrie appears in The Super Hero Squad Show episode "Mental Organism Designed Only for Kissing" voiced by Michelle Trachtenberg.[52] Thor falls in love with her when she helps Ms. Marvel, Thor, and Iron Man fight Abomination, Fin Fang Foom, and MODOK. When Iron Man tries to invite Valkyrie out to a "Ride of the Valkyries" performance, Valkyrie declines noting Iron Man's failure to gather the Infinity Sword Fractals.
    Valkyrie appears in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes episode "The Fall of Asgard", voiced by Colleen O'Shaughnessey. She, Sif, and the other Valkyries rescue Ant-Man and an unconscious Wasp from Ymir and the Frost Giants.

Brunnhilde appears in the Hulk vs. Thor segment of the Hulk Vs DVD, voiced by an uncredited Nicole Oliver. She and her Valkyrior troops defend Asgard from an attack by the Hulk, who had separated from Bruce Banner by Loki. She is immediately swatted aside by Hulk when she attacks him.
    Brunnhilde appears in Thor: Tales of Asgard voiced by Cathy Weseluck.

Video games

Valkyrie appears as an NPC in the video game Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, voiced by Nika Futterman. Weasel has a crush on her, but she is annoyed by him and is instead attracted to Deadpool, though he does not reciprocate her feelings. Deadpool states to Valkyrie that Weasel has that way with women ever since he brought his cousin to the prom. During the quest to open Bifrost Bridge, Valkyrie will ask the heroes to recover her sword Dragonfang. If the player finds her sword Dragonfang, Asgard will be easily freed with her aid, Loki will be imprisoned in chains, and Ragnarok never comes to pass. If the player doesn't find Dragonfang, Valkyrie will fall in the battle to free Asgard, Balder will die trying to save her, and Asgard will refuse contact with Earth for a century. When Dragonfang is found, Valkyrie will use her abilities to call it to her. When Odin is freed from his dark magic confinement, he will be recalled to Asgard by Valkyrie to recover.
    Valkyrie is a playable character in Marvel Super Hero Squad Online, voiced by Grey DeLisle.
    Valkyrie appeared as an unlockable character in Marvel: Avengers Alliance, only accessible after completion of the tasks of Spec Ops 5. She would later become a permanent recruit.
    Valkyrie appears in Marvel Heroes voiced by Michelle Arthur.
    Valkyrie is a playable character in Lego Marvel's Avengers voiced by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn. She is found in the Asgard hub where she requests help from the player into finding female Asgardian warriors to join her Valkyrior army.
    Well, this about covers it .

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    The casting of GoE was fine if you bother to know the mythology and see that their gods have all sorts of skin colors that include green, gold, and white. Like THE color white not a white person. On the other hand, Heimdall is described as actually being white. Some Valkyries have also being described as having white skin.
    I'm versed in the basics of Egyptian mythology yet I've never seen a god that looks anything like Jamie Lannister in the hieroglyphs I've perused. Exotic skin colors, and of course human's with animal heads, were used, but my point is that even given these artistic touches, the vast majority of deities were made to look like idealized versions of the people who worshiped them. We all know this.

Hogun was an original character, and his people dwell in a far off land in Asgard and were never part of the Aesir or Vanir. He could be anything. But Heimdall is one of the most prominent Asgardian gods with many depictions over the years, in mythology and in the comics. Plus he's the sister of Sif...who's white in the movies. There was clearly little to no thought in making him black other than the PTB wanting Edris Elba in the movie. Why couldn't he have been one of the original Marvel Asgardians or a new character? This stuff isn't that hard to figure out.

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

They should look like the people that worshipped them as was intended. The suggestion makes about as much sense as a red headed freckled god for Wakanda.

Quote Originally Posted by KingsLeadHat View Post
    I'm versed in the basics of Egyptian mythology yet I've never seen a god that looks anything like Jamie Lannister in the hieroglyphs I've perused.
    Who claimed an Egyptian god looked like a character from game of thrones?

Exotic skin colors, and of course human's with animal heads, were used, but my point is that even given these artistic touches, the vast majority of deities were made to look like idealized versions of the people who worshiped them. We all know this.
    Given that the vast majority of egyptian gods have animal heads and all sorts of different skin colors. . .

BTW, half of the cast of GoE were not white people.

Like Thor, Val's Nordic qualities, physical and otherwise, are SO much a part of who she is and how she expresses herself. Why would anyone want to ruin that?

Let me suggest that her height, athleticism, pale skin, braided hair, unpretentious attitude and costume must be regarded as part of this lauded multicultural diversity so many of us want in our comics. I think that to suggest that Valkyrie, because of her race, is inherently oppressing to anybody is just wrong. It's the wrong message to send out to comic fans of Scandinavian heritage - especially, young ones. When diversity in the media (comics, TV, etc) becomes ham-handedly associated with anything or anyone, non-white, we are courting hypocrisy.

I could almost understand Tessa playing Barbara Noriss. I can even imagine that she, while looking like Tessa Thompson to the audience, looks to everyone else - all, but, Thor and a few Asgardians - like the tall, blond, athletic Valkyrie that we see in the comics. That would have been clever, but, that's not what we're getting, apparently.

Let me also suggest that the answer to diversity in our comic books is the imagination of a good, old-fashioned comic book writer. We need writers, who can invent some new, potentially classic superheroes, whose costumes and backgrounds reflect the magnificently diverse world that we're living in. We're not getting that, either. What we're getting too much of, in my opinion (especially, at DC) is legacy superheroes, who pass down their classic and not-so classic costumes and powers down to new characters, ..while what we need are new superheroes, altogether - new powers, origins, costumes and all! Giving us a Jamaican or Chinese Super-man doesn't change anything, because we all know who the real Superman is; so, we need new superheroes.

We also need to support comic books that offer cultural, racial, sexual and gender diversity, if that's what we're really interested in seeing. We need to tell the creators that character diversity is no substitute for good story and art, and that we don't need them to reinvent to comic book or the superhero adventure genre. In the end, all we want is classic comic book adventures that we can imagine ourselves leaping into!

Is everyone so sure she is playing Valkyrie and not some other character?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 04-12-2017 at 12:19 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Like Thor, Val's Nordic qualities, physical and otherwise, are SO much a part of who she is and how she expresses herself. Why would anyone want to ruin that?

Let me suggest that her height, athleticism, pale skin, braided hair, unpretentious attitude and costume must be regarded as part of this lauded multicultural diversity so many of us want in our comics. I think that to suggest that Valkyrie, because of her race, is inherently oppressing to anybody is just wrong. It's the wrong message to send out to comic fans of Scandinavian heritage - especially, young ones. When diversity in the media (comics, TV, etc) becomes ham-handedly associated with anything or anyone, non-white, we are courting hypocrisy

I could almost understand Tessa playing Barbara Noriss. I can even imagine that she, while looking like Tessa Thompson to the audience, looks to everyone else - all, but, Thor and a few Asgardians - like the tall, blond, athletic Valkyrie that we see in the comics. That would have been clever, but, that's not what we're getting, apparently.

Is everyone so sure she is playing Valkyrie and not some other character?
    She is playing Valkyrie. With that said, which Valkyrie we don't know yet. And I'd be completely fine if she's playing Brunnhilde and it turns out that Valkyries own mythology make that possible:

n Norse mythology, a valkyrie (from Old Norse valkyrja "chooser of the slain") is one of a host of female figures who choose those who may die in battle and those who may live. Selecting among half of those who die in battle (the other half go to the goddess Freyja's afterlife field Fólkvangr), the valkyries bring their chosen to the afterlife hall of the slain, Valhalla, ruled over by the god Odin. There, the deceased warriors become einherjar (Old Norse "single (or once) fighters"[1]). When the einherjar are not preparing for the events of Ragnarök, the valkyries bear them mead. Valkyries also appear as lovers of heroes and other mortals, where they are sometimes described as the daughters of royalty, sometimes accompanied by ravens and sometimes connected to swans or horses.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie

Basically if eventually Brunnhilde in the comics change appearence, it's basically explainable within Nordic mythology: her body is just a vessel, and when she "dies", she comes back as another woman warrior.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X