Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    She is playing Valkyrie. With that said, which Valkyrie we don't know yet. And I'd be completely fine if she's playing Brunnhilde and it turns out that Valkyries own mythology make that possible...if eventually Brunnhilde in the comics change appearence, it's basically explainable within Nordic mythology: her body is just a vessel, and when she "dies", she comes back as another woman warrior.
    I can indulge this diversity thing to a point, after which I am compelled to ask important questions. We can couch the race/culture issue, for a minute, and entertain the idea that the film-maker wants to redefine the look of a character, ..without making said character, unrecognizable to the audience. For Valkyrie, who is tall and athlethic-looking, why are we asked to suffer any short, thickly built woman of ANY race playing her? Should the Valkyrie not look somewhat like the Valkyrie in our comics, ..regardless of her race? Does Tessa Thompson really work as Valkyrie, in this way...

Especially, when standing next to a tall, Scandinavian-looking actor, playing Thor?

And before anyone goes there, ..you should know that Michael Keaton's 5′ 10″ Batman was strategically cast, next to a 5′ 10″ Jack Nicholson and a 5′ 7″ Kim Basinger, ..who, as if by magic, looks effortlessly tall and Germanic in almost every role she's ever played, onscreen. [How does she do that?] The most important characters in Batman (1989) were of average height, making Keaton's height, a perfect fit for the cast. I don't think this was a consideration for the people casting for Thor: Ragnavarok, who's asking us to accept a short, doll-like woman playing Valkyrie.

Will Valkyrie, as played by Tessa Thompson, be, in any way, recognizable ..as Valkyrie? Are we Defenders fans not owed that much?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 04-12-2017 at 12:55 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I can indulge this diversity thing to a point, after which I am compelled to ask important questions. We can couch the race/culture issue, for a minute. For Valkyrie, who is tall and athlethic-looking, why are we asked to suffer any short, thickly built woman of ANY race playing her? Should the Valkyrie not look somewhat like the Valkyrie in our comics, ..regardless of her race? Does Tessa Thompson really work as Valkyrie, in this way, especially, when standing next to a tall, Scandinavian-looking actor, playing Thor?
    Good point. A tall, athletic actress would have at least brought some verisimilitude to the casting choice, but they apparently think so little of the original source material when it comes to Valkyrie, that even that didn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by KingsLeadHat View Post
    Good point. A tall, athletic actress would have at least brought some verisimilitude to the casting choice, but they apparently think so little of the original source material when it comes to Valkyrie, that even that didn't matter.
    That casting choice will not come, without a price. Thompson is so superficially unacceptable, as Valkyrie - like a white Black Lightning ..or a short GALACTUS - that, if this was a Defenders movie, ..I don't think I would even entertain going to see it.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 04-12-2017 at 01:03 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Like some people have said already, I don't think it's wise to change the race of a character within the same universe. I don't mind Brunnhilde being black in other universes and other medias, but yeah, making a white chick just wake up one day as a black chick is just weird, not too mention WAY problematic. It'd be like Psylocke all over again and trust me: many, MANY people would have a problem with what would be perceived as blackface. So in an attempt at being more diverse, they would just be creating more racial conflict. Plus, it'd be so easy to just introduce a new Valkyrie who's black, since we know it's actually a title given to many women and we have had a POC Valkyrie before (Dani Moonstar). I just wouldn't want this new Valkyrie to be THE Valkyrie they care mainly about at the expense of the original character for MCU synergy's sake, kind of like they did with the Wasp. That would bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by KingsLeadHat View Post
    There is plenty of source material. You just have to go back a bit.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SplinteringHeart View Post
    Six pages in, and what's this nonsense about Valkyrie being obscure? Are you all about 20 years old? Valkyrie was for long enough in The Defenders, even in The Ultimates world she was blonde and white, she then appeared in Fear Itself...and then I lost track...ok this was all a while ago but nevertheless, she's been "front and centre" enough not to be obscure...so making her otherwise for me counts as messing round with a long established character, like what's happened with Thor, Cap, Hulk etc..and apparently there's a reversal coming on this isn't there?

Fine in the film, change things around a bit, artistic licence in that medium, but not in the comics...I'm fine with Marvel's diversity moves by the way, but the films and the comics don't have to be symbiotic.

Jon
    Well, Val has been used off and on for a long time, but that in no way makes her "popular".

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Like some people have said already, I don't think it's wise to change the race of a character within the same universe. I don't mind Brunnhilde being black in other universes and other medias, but yeah, making a white chick just wake up one day as a black chick is just weird, not too mention WAY problematic. It'd be like Psylocke all over again and trust me: many, MANY people would have a problem with what would be perceived as blackface. So in an attempt at being more diverse, they would just be creating more racial conflict. Plus, it'd be so easy to just introduce a new Valkyrie who's black, since we know it's actually a title given to many women and we have had a POC Valkyrie before (Dani Moonstar). I just wouldn't want this new Valkyrie to be THE Valkyrie they care mainly about at the expense of the original character for MCU synergy's sake, kind of like they did with the Wasp. That would bother me.
    If Marvel Comics establishes the IN MYTHOLOGY concept that valkyries use the body of fallen warriors like I've posted before, I don't see how anyone here can find that bad. Also, I'd argue that it makes for an expansion of the character's own mythology, something that actually might work when it comes to replacing a character from time to time. Eventually, she could be blonde. Another point, black. Another point, chinese. I very much like that idea.

The point that she should at least look tall doesn't make sense to me. Eventually, we could even get a blonde Valkyrie, both in film and comics. Eventually, another warrior. It's quite an interesting concept, I believe. Something to play with the whole Donald Blake/Thor personas that we haven't seen played in ages. Brunnhilde holds all her memories, but habits a different body. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me.
    Last edited by ijacksparrow; 04-12-2017 at 04:09 AM.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

BANNED

If Marvel Comics establishes the IN MYTHOLOGY concept that valkyries use the body of fallen warriors like I've posted before, I don't see how anyone here can find that bad. Also, I'd argue that it makes for an expansion of the character's own mythology, something that actually might work when it comes to replacing a character from time to time. Eventually, she could be blonde. Another point, black. Another point, chinese. I very much like that idea.
    Valkyrie is whoever houses the soul of Brunhilda and her powers.

So yes, she can change race.

There are some other reasons for MCU to change the race of Valkyrie. If you make an all race cast, you ultimately lower your audience potential and your sales. For people millennials, as in people under age 30, half the country already isn't white or is of two or more races. So it's easier to market the film if you go for a more diverse cast.

BANNED

In terms of Tessa not being tall and "athletic" looking, she looks like a warrior woman to me. In real life tall women are rare, and when you're casting films it's much more important to cast someone who can actually act than it is to try to find someone who looks just like the character.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Valkyrie is whoever houses the soul of Brunhilda and her powers.

So yes, she can change race.

There are some other reasons for MCU to change the race of Valkyrie. If you make an all race cast, you ultimately lower your audience potential and your sales. For people millennials, as in people under age 30, half the country already isn't white or is of two or more races. So it's easier to market the film if you go for a more diverse cast.
    My point exactly. Also, it adds to the whole mythology of the character, a complete new take on the character that goes within her own Nordic proper mythology: a warrior that can't die, in the vessel of a fallen warrior that was worthy enough to serve Asgard. Does she retains some of her host memories? Think Marvel Asgard meets a serious and tragic version of Dead Like Me.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

BANNED

Hmm...I could see Marvel try to do the same thing that made the original Thunderstrike and let Valkyrie's spirit come into someone that looks like the actress. That would be okay, right ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Hmm...I could see Marvel try to do the same thing that made the original Thunderstrike and let Valkyrie's spirit come into someone that looks like the actress. That would be okay, right ?
    Definitely. And AMAZING. It'd add to the whole tapestry of the mythos and actually make her more interesting, not really because of the race change, but because of the possibilities. Thor's weapon is the Mjolnir. Brunnhilde's weapon is her vessel itself. A writer knowing what he's doing with that concept could make for a crazy journey. A character that inhabits the bodies of fallen warriors. It's such a great concept that it writes itself.
    Pull list:

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Per wikipedia.

Television

Valkyrie appears in The Super Hero Squad Show episode "Mental Organism Designed Only for Kissing" voiced by Michelle Trachtenberg.[52] Thor falls in love with her when she helps Ms. Marvel, Thor, and Iron Man fight Abomination, Fin Fang Foom, and MODOK. When Iron Man tries to invite Valkyrie out to a "Ride of the Valkyries" performance, Valkyrie declines noting Iron Man's failure to gather the Infinity Sword Fractals.
    Valkyrie appears in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes episode "The Fall of Asgard", voiced by Colleen O'Shaughnessey. She, Sif, and the other Valkyries rescue Ant-Man and an unconscious Wasp from Ymir and the Frost Giants.

Brunnhilde appears in the Hulk vs. Thor segment of the Hulk Vs DVD, voiced by an uncredited Nicole Oliver. She and her Valkyrior troops defend Asgard from an attack by the Hulk, who had separated from Bruce Banner by Loki. She is immediately swatted aside by Hulk when she attacks him.
    Brunnhilde appears in Thor: Tales of Asgard voiced by Cathy Weseluck.

Video games

Valkyrie appears as an NPC in the video game Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, voiced by Nika Futterman. Weasel has a crush on her, but she is annoyed by him and is instead attracted to Deadpool, though he does not reciprocate her feelings. Deadpool states to Valkyrie that Weasel has that way with women ever since he brought his cousin to the prom. During the quest to open Bifrost Bridge, Valkyrie will ask the heroes to recover her sword Dragonfang. If the player finds her sword Dragonfang, Asgard will be easily freed with her aid, Loki will be imprisoned in chains, and Ragnarok never comes to pass. If the player doesn't find Dragonfang, Valkyrie will fall in the battle to free Asgard, Balder will die trying to save her, and Asgard will refuse contact with Earth for a century. When Dragonfang is found, Valkyrie will use her abilities to call it to her. When Odin is freed from his dark magic confinement, he will be recalled to Asgard by Valkyrie to recover.
    Valkyrie is a playable character in Marvel Super Hero Squad Online, voiced by Grey DeLisle.
    Valkyrie appeared as an unlockable character in Marvel: Avengers Alliance, only accessible after completion of the tasks of Spec Ops 5. She would later become a permanent recruit.
    Valkyrie appears in Marvel Heroes voiced by Michelle Arthur.
    Valkyrie is a playable character in Lego Marvel's Avengers voiced by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn. She is found in the Asgard hub where she requests help from the player into finding female Asgardian warriors to join her Valkyrior army.
    So she has appeared, but not consistently maybe the fault of Marvel animation.

Hell no. Blind casting at it's worst.

She is playing Valkyrie. With that said, which Valkyrie we don't know yet. And I'd be completely fine if she's playing Brunnhilde and it turns out that Valkyries own mythology make that possible:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie

Basically if eventually Brunnhilde in the comics change appearence, it's basically explainable within Nordic mythology: her body is just a vessel, and when she "dies", she comes back as another woman warrior.
    n Norse mythology, a valkyrie (from Old Norse valkyrja "chooser of the slain") is one of a host of female figures who choose those who may die in battle and those who may live. Selecting among half of those who die in battle (the other half go to the goddess Freyja's afterlife field Fólkvangr), the valkyries bring their chosen to the afterlife hall of the slain, Valhalla, ruled over by the god Odin. There, the deceased warriors become einherjar (Old Norse "single (or once) fighters"[1]). When the einherjar are not preparing for the events of Ragnarök, the valkyries bear them mead. Valkyries also appear as lovers of heroes and other mortals, where they are sometimes described as the daughters of royalty, sometimes accompanied by ravens and sometimes connected to swans or horses.
    You are using the wrong meaning of "host" when it precedes "of" the meaning is a "group of or many" such as There was a host of people at the party. Nowhere in Scandinavian or Germanic mythology does it say that they can inhabit another body. Also the Valkyrie in the comics can not "change appearance" the times she was in any other body it was not her own doing but was Enchantress, Dr. Strange, or Clea's power that did it. All superheros have "body swapped" at one point many more than once does and not mean they are all Mosaic, same with Valkyrie. There is no base in mythology or comic continuity that would back up spontaneous change in appearance.

That said there are many Valkyrjur (you might say there are a host of them), and there is no reason a new one can't be introduced and personally would love to see it happen in the Mighty Thor it would help Jane with a cast that is separate from the actual Thor (cause his name is Thor ain't calling him Odinson)

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Marvel has already done something to that effect when Clea had her and Annabelle Riggs co-habitat a body.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 04-12-2017 at 06:36 AM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting