Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Jackee is a new character. She'll probably go by "who's that woman?" for a while, like she did in her #965 debut, haha,

And yeah it was nice seeing Ron. Ron, Perry, Jackee, Jimmy, and Steve as a regular cast is a nice idea. Alice takes point in the closet.
    Ooooh, ok. Except for Reborn, I've been trade waiting since Rebirth started...so I hadn't seen Jackee yet. What does she do at the Planet?

Love the "Alice in the closet" reference, I laughed pretty good at that.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Jackee is a new character. She'll probably go by "who's that woman?" for a while, like she did in her #965 debut, haha,

And yeah it was nice seeing Ron. Ron, Perry, Jackee, Jimmy, and Steve as a regular cast is a nice idea. Alice takes point in the closet.
    I still think they should have just brought back Fran rather than create a new background character.

Extraordinary Member

I get the feeling that they're leaving all of it purposely vague so that people can assume whatever they want is in canon. His childhood, though, looks 100% Secret Origin. If that splash page from the end of Reborn is instructive, though, so too might his debut as Superman (Metallo looking 100% like his Secret Origin self).

I'm also wondering how this is supposedly going to conflict with the rest of the DCU, if Bleedingcool's reporting is to be trusted.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 04-12-2017 at 08:07 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeJP View Post
    It seems like his origin is 90% Secret Origin with slight tweaks here and there. However, Jurgens seems to skip from Smallville right into Superman. Does that mean no Superboy/Legion? As that was the whole second issue of SO.

Disapointed in this issue, didn't answer much.
    The latest Supergirl has Superman hint he was a Legionnaire.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Jurgens seems to imply not everything from SO is canon still: https://twitter.com/thedanjurgens/st...72035178598400

So I'm guessing we're gonna see small changes next issue.

Incredible Member

Also, I think the cleanest solution to Superman/boy in the Legion is if he doesn't remember it until adulthood, courtesy of Saturn Girl's memory wipes.

That allows Kara and even Jon to interact with Teen Clark.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    Also, I think the cleanest solution to Superman/boy in the Legion is if he doesn't remember it until adulthood, courtesy of Saturn Girl's memory wipes.

That allows Kara and even Jon to interact with Teen Clark.
    It'd be fun if Superman's memory restoration came about because he ended up in a conflict with a time-traveling Superboy!

Spectacular Member

Keep in mind, long time Superman fan but I dropped out early New 52 and came back for Lois and Clark.

Looks like this guy is still going to be more or less the Superman I like but with New 52 history folded in.

I like the blend of different eras of Krypton. I know they'd already done this some (even before New 52). But the variety pulls Krypton out of Planet of Hats territory and gives them a more believable variety.

I'm disappointed that Superman's memories of his prior existence are fading. I thought having him be the Superman from the previous boot was an interesting angle and they didn't do enough with it. Then again, it didn't seem like they really knew what to do with it. I wonder if they were afraid of angering fans by getting into comparisons. If so, thats a shame but it is what it is. Fandom is fandom.

They could have done more to use this Superman to acquaint fans like me with New 52/Rebirth. That was what was exciting to me. My Superman in a parallel universe, one that had 5 years of development. Then again, if they were planning on sweeping a lot of that detail under the rug, maybe they felt like it would confuse returning fans to get them used to New 52 only to get rid of a lot of it.

I'm confused about Jon being a known part of the Kent's past. How does that work? I thought in New 52 Superman has only been active for 5 or 6 years (with Batman being active for more like 10). And if you add in the time it took for Lois and Clark to fall in love, get married and get pregnant plus Jon's age (he's at least 10 right?) that means Reborn Superman has been around for at least 12 or 13 years or Clark started working at the Daily Planet years before he became Superman. Or Lois and Clark met and fell in love years before Clark started at the Daily Planet.

And minor quibble here, but really? Do we have to give everything to Lois? Now she's the faster typist? I thought the understanding was that she was the better investigative journalist but Clark had a niche as a fast typist who didn't need to be proofread.

Also, in this reality, apparently Pa Kent is a complete moron.

Also, I guess this means everyone has forgotten that New 52 Superman died and was replaced by another Superman.

What does this mean for Superwoman I wonder? If Lois is our Lois, does she have powers?

And it seems like new 52 Lois and Lana were friends from what little I've read. Now that Lois is Clark's wife, I wonder how the relationship with Clark's former lover will function.

And did Superman date Wonder Woman? Is that entire series now erased? Because Jon was born 10 years ago, so Wonder Woman and Supes can't be recent history. They'd better not be.

It seems like there's a lot of stuff here that just plain couldn't have happened.
    Last edited by KingDragonlord; 04-12-2017 at 09:06 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingDragonlord View Post
    I'm confused about Jon being a known part of the Kent's past. How does that work? I thought in New 52 Superman has only been active for 5 or 6 years (with Batman being active for more like 10). And if you add in the time it took for Lois and Clark to fall in love, get married and get pregnant plus Jon's age (he's at least 10 right?) that means Reborn Superman has been around for at least 12 or 13 years or Clark started working at the Daily Planet years before he became Superman. Or Lois and Clark met and fell in love years before Clark started at the Daily Planet.
    Pretty sure the whole 5-year thing is definitely out the window.

Astonishing Member

And minor quibble here, but really? Do we have to give everything to Lois? Now she's the faster typist? I thought the understanding was that she was the better investigative journalist but Clark had a niche as a fast typist who didn't need to be proofread.
    If you're the most powerful man on earth do you really care if you're the fastest typer or better investigative journalist?
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Fantastic Member

Obviously, this issue hearkens back to the facts of Secret Origins a lot. Structurally, though, it hearkens back to Action #500, in which Superman participated as a spectator/narrator of his own origin, which he was witnessing via technology, like here. That was the last summary of Superman's pre-Crisis origin, scripted by Marty Pasko. The structure here probably borrowed consciously from that, although it also resembles a couple of Jurgens-scripted stories that summed up the history of the whole DCU, including a ten-parter that appeared as the second feature in ten issues of "52" with Donna Troy as the witness/narrator.

One interesting tidbit in the art: The frame of young Lex beholding a chunk of kryptonite was exactly out of Secret Origins. I'm sure many other panels resemble past panels, but few of them that distinctive.

I'm glad that Secret Origins is still mainly canon. Superman has been re-origined to the point of nausea. I was hoping that S.O. would be the final word for a long time after, and here we are eight years later (!) and it's still fresh. My write-up of SO #1 says in a lot more detail why I think that Johns' synthesis of past origins was the right approach. And, for what it's worth, an inspiration in some ways for the current movie Superman with other directions from the 1978 movie Superman.

http://rikdad.blogspot.com/2009/09/s...-origin-1.html

A sum up of a past story, however, is not that momentous of a work. It's more interesting to see the future directions, and it seems likely that the holographic enemy who is rounding up other enemies is probably a short-term distraction while the Big Bad looms and is probably unrelated. And the stage that's being set is probably one in which Dr. Manhattan is the power who is greater even than Mxyzptlk while Mr. Oz appears to be a counterweight who is also formidable and is morally gray –*he is trying to achieve some sort of desirable final result, but as his enmity with Tim Drake reveals, he's not to be regarded altogether as "good." And given the little bits of fact we've seen so far, I suspect that we're going to see Mr. Oz unleash Doomsday on Dr. Manhattan and have that be totally futile, which will increase the drama for the heroes who have to stop Dr. Manhattan.

Spectacular Member

I just took that line to be Clark distracting from just HOW fast he can type to avoid suspicion
    I'm on Twitter! @alex_jamieson

BANNED

Also, I guess this means everyone has forgotten that New 52 Superman died and was replaced by another Superman.
    Exactly what Clark says to Kara in Supergirl this week. Nobody but the Kents remember there were two Supermen. Even the N52 Skeleton in New Superman this week was explained away as something else

And it seems like new 52 Lois and Lana were friends from what little I've read. Now that Lois is Clark's wife, I wonder how the relationship with Clark's former lover will function.
    Lana did have a conversation with the energies of N52 Lois and Clark before the reset, where she was assured by Clark that he owes his whole relationship to Lois to the fact Lana taught him how to love

Krypton was beautiful. It went back to Johns good idea of melding all past aesthetics, and actually included the New 52 look as well. So what do you know, that's one promise kept of being true to a merger.

A little irritating that they're still drawing out the fate of the Kents, but otherwise I had a lot of fun with this. The early years appear to be a situation as good as I could have hoped for, i.e., not straight up S.O, at least not the Krypton stuff. The Smallville stuff is very reminiscent, but then again Smallville was the only good part of SO so I'm cool with that. I knew it was always going to be probably the origin with the heaviest influence, but it needed to be done so much better so that's hopefully what happens here.

I'm glad they're going the route of the memories before Reborn fading, too. I guess I can somewhat see the appeal of Superman having knowledge that others don't in regards to timelines, but I prefer it that he's like everyone else in that he just recalls what is the current continuity of the day.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-12-2017 at 10:30 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar