Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Political Correctness Hurting Marvel Comics??

http://thefederalist.com/2017/04/12/...marvel-comics/

Found this article and it was an interesting read. I am wondering what other's on this board think of the comments of the author and if they agree,don't agree?

Rather surprised to learn about Chuck Dixon not being allowed to write for Marvel.

Are we seriously posting "The Federalist" links on CBR now? What is this, KotakuInAction? Not that I like radicals from any sides but c'mon. This is garbage. What's next, Breitbart? Trying to make an Anita Sarkeesian out of Sana Amanat?

Oh wait, it's already happening.
    Last edited by ijacksparrow; 04-12-2017 at 06:05 AM.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

That article is straight up trash. "Political Correctness" isn't hurting Marvel, constant events, relaunches, overpriced issues, and bad writing his what hurts Marvel (and even then it's not like Marvel is scrambling to save themselves right now, they'll be fine).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miracleman View Post
    Rather surprised to learn about Chuck Dixon not being allowed to write for Marvel.
    He's not allowed at DC either.

This has got nothing to do with his politics, and everything with his warm, loving personality and demeanor.
    Freelancers who drag their employers' name through the mud when their poorly selling book gets canceled tend to not be asked back.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post

This has got nothing to do with his politics, and everything with his warm, loving personality and demeanor.
    Freelancers who drag their employers' name through the mud when their poorly selling book gets canceled tend to not be asked back.
    Chuck Dixon has a Bane miniseries coming out from DC soon, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    He's writing a 12 issue Bane series for DC starting next month, so it seems someone decided to give him another chance I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    He's writing a 12 issue Bane series for DC starting next month, so it seems someone decided to give him another chance I suppose.
    Did not know this, adding to my pull list
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

BANNED

Time heals many wounds?

Invincible Member

I have to be careful about how I state this, but the rumor is that Chuck had a falling out with an editor who's got some pull at Marvel some years ago. Even if you believe this article, it's over ten years ago since he worked there, well before the supposed "diversity push".

And didn't Nathan Edmonson write the Black Widow run before Waid, and the recent Dethlock series? I thought he was conservative?

Also, no one returning your calls isn't evidence that no Christians work at Marvel.

Invincible Member

Also there's well known liberal writers at DC. Why aren't we seeing articles about how SJWs are killing that company?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Also there's well known liberal writers at DC. Why aren't we seeing articles about how SJWs are killing that company?
    Literally all their core books are written by progressive/liberal writers, just like DC. This is basically The Federalist trying to fish some very young / gullible minds just like Breitbart and these al-right vehicles did with Gamergate. It never ends, and it's getting pathetic as hell.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

What confouse me is the header image: Since when Batman is part of Marvel comics?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    What confouse me is the header image: Since when Batman is part of Marvel comics?
    Do you sincerely think this people even know that? The editor probably asked for popular characters and hey, put Batman there, let's get some Batman fans here. Pathetic.
    Pull list:

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Exactly. They didnt even bothered to remember that when making the article.

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    Are we seriously posting "The Federalist" links on CBR now? What is this, KotakuInAction? Not that I like radicals from any sides but c'mon. This is garbage. What's next, Breitbart? Trying to make an Anita Sarkeesian out of Sana Amanat?

Oh wait, it's already happening.
    Well, given who got elected for US president; im not surprised.

BANNED

Nothing wrong with people offering different perspectives on this forum. This article is very silly in a number of ways, but it touches on some good points; in a company that professes its own 'diversity', there's an astonishing lack of political dissent and seemingly a culture of ideological conformity amongst the writers. Many of Marvel's writers behave in a ridiculously unprofessional way on Twitter, and even condemn large segments of their audience for not being PC enough. As a reader, I know that it makes me very reticent to buy a book when its author tells large portions of the fanbase how much they hate them on Twitter. I probably would have given the new Champions series a chance, for instance, if its author Mark Waid didn't act like such a man-child on social media. (I've seen scans of the book, and as it turns out the book is basically Waid's Twitter feed in comic book form, so ignoring it was a good idea.)

I find it astonishing that Marvel doesn't have rules as to how their creative talent should represent their brand on social media - or that if they do have such rules, the behaviour of their creative talent hasn't yet overstepped them. If I posted political content on social media that was liable to affect my workplace, I would be reprimanded. Why do Marvel continue to let their creative talent muddy their brand?