Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Boy, they really are pushing Duke hard. smh
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Great issue but didn't love the Art style. Very keen to the find out more about Duke's new power.

@The Whovian To be fair Duke has been around for sometime and his development has been slow and gradual.

Astonishing Member

This has been a fun cumulitive story, and as always, I've been loving the interviews that tend to come out alongside them, as they've always enhanced the feeling of the story.

http://www.cbr.com/interview-scott-s...l-star-batman/

Spectacular Member marcotheblerd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Boy, they really are pushing Duke hard. smh
    They been slowly building up his character for the past couple of years. We would be complaining if they created him out of nowhere and gave him his own series like they did with Talon, and it doesnt go anywhere. This is the right way to go when it comes to new characters.
    Last edited by marcotheblerd; 04-24-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    This has been a fun cumulitive story, and as always, I've been loving the interviews that tend to come out alongside them, as they've always enhanced the feeling of the story.

http://www.cbr.com/interview-scott-s...l-star-batman/
    Surprised they didn't mention Catwoman's appearance.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by marcotheblerd View Post
    They been slowly building up his character for the past couple of years. We would be complaining if they created him out of nowhere and gave him his own series like they did with Talon, and it doesnt go anywhere. This is the right way to go when it comes to new characters.
    Not to folks who hate him.

Him just being there is offensive to some. A 8 page back up and cameos in the main books is a push?

Just realised that batman never actually puts on the Batsuit in this issue.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

The Cursed Wheel backups in All Star Vol 1 definitely happen before the Two-Face story (there is a Two-Face reference that proves that, and Snyder said so in an interview), but anyone know about these Ends of the Earth Cursed Wheel backups?

Snyder seemed to say in an old interview that all the backups would lead to Two-Face's acid attack in Vol 1 that we never see (just a flashback to the aftermath). But I can't tell really if maybe Snyder just meant the Vol 1 backups and not the following ones.

Anyone think they have the chronology clear?
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Considering that the backups were a lead-in to Dark Days and Duke appeared in the main story sans any mention of his superpowers, either the backups of Ends of the Earth take place after the arc, which I think is most likely, or both main arcs takes place after the backup stories and, as a result, DC: Metal, which I find unlikely.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 04-26-2017 at 07:33 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    Considering that the backups were a lead-in to Dark Days and Duke appeared in the main story sans any mention of his superpowers, either the backups of Ends of the Earth take place after the arc, which I think is most likely, or both main arcs takes place after the backup stories and, as a result, DC: Metal, which I find unlikely.
    Definitely not the latter, so I think you're right, that the backups of Ends of the Earth must take place after Two-Face's arc.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

This was the first All-Star Batman issue I ever read. It was a good final chapter story. The art was only serviceable, which leaves me leary of starting next arc, and I wonder if it is worthy payoff to the issues buildup (was is EIGHT ISSUES?) that preceeded it. Is the cover significant in some way or more generic poser?

My real question is - what the heck is the 'riddle' that the backup revolves around? I understand from this thread that the story was supposed to be a puzzle piece of a bigger story? It was really really funny to follow and enjoy the lead story only to be stymied by the backup immediately after. Can someone summarize it please?

thumb-76194134457700911.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bookem Danno View Post
    This was the first All-Star Batman issue I ever read. It was a good final chapter story. The art was only serviceable, which leaves me leary of starting next arc, and I wonder if it is worthy payoff to the issues buildup (was is EIGHT ISSUES?) that preceeded it. Is the cover significant in some way or more generic poser?

My real question is - what the heck is the 'riddle' that the backup revolves around? I understand from this thread that the story was supposed to be a puzzle piece of a bigger story? It was really really funny to follow and enjoy the lead story only to be stymied by the backup immediately after. Can someone summarize it please?

thumb-76194134457700911.jpg
    So far its been two main arcs, the two face arc which was 1-5 and 6-9 was end of the earth. This arc was the last part and it tied things together well for me.

The backup was Batman training Duke. Duke had a run-in with The Riddler in Zero Year and Riddler is trying to call him out. Duke fails and is doubting his ability to be a Bat-hero.

IDK if I'm just dumb or what but this book is so confusing and convoluted. I could barely follow what just happened this arc. Was that bacteria outbreak real? And is it still happening? I don't understand when this book takes place.

The lack of a recap every month is pretty brutal too, for something so dense. I can't remember who characters like Daryl are from 2014 or whatever.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 16 Bit View Post
    IDK if I'm just dumb or what but this book is so confusing and convoluted. I could barely follow what just happened this arc. Was that bacteria outbreak real? And is it still happening? I don't understand when this book takes place.

The lack of a recap every month is pretty brutal too, for something so dense. I can't remember who characters like Daryl are from 2014 or whatever.
    Yup the world is still infected by that bacteria, lol. The arc was ambitious so I'll give it points for that but it did end up falling flat.

Quote Originally Posted by 16 Bit View Post

Your not alone
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont