Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    I feel like some Simone's stories read like fanfiction. I know, that's kind of biased of me regarding the "quality" of this genre, and ALL comics are basically fanfics, since writers take characters that already exist and create what they want with them. But some elements like the gorilas, Queen of Fables, Cherry Blossom... They're weird in a different way. You know that issue of Ms. Marvel where Khamala is writing a fanfic, and Captain America and Captain Marvel are trying to save planet Unicorn? Exactly. A lot of cheesy fun.

But that applies just for a few elements, and I will be more happy than not if she comes back. It's good to have someone who loves and cares about the character and what she's about, and Gail is a pro on that regard. It's just the storytelling that makes me a bit worried. Maybe Rucka's more grounded stories are more palatable for my tastes.
    There is some truth to the fact that Gail's writing can come across like fanfic.

One of her worst habits is her tendency to create a new character that she really, REALLY loves and have that character demonstrate his/her awesomeness. Often at the expense of other, more established, characters.

Examples? Jeannette's effortless victory over Wonder Woman in Secret Six, and the humiliation Diana suffered shortly after that. I forget the name, but she also had that other character in the last Secret Six run who could control metal, which somehow allowed her to effortlessly crush SUPERMAN to the point where he was as good as dead had someone else not told her to spare the poor, weak legendary hero. Let's not even get into the absurdity of the fact that that scene requires a sincere belief that Superman is LITERALLY made of steel to be even remotely plausible.

Still, when she's on, she's ON. Let's just hope she can pick up the ball and run with it in a coherent direction without much in the way of editorial interference. Assuming she's even getting the job, of course.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I'd rather Gail Simone not come back to WW, I know she is clearly a fan and has respect, but I just would really rather getting some new talent on the book than more nostalgia stories.

Sadly we know some nostogia . One thing I hope is that's exactly fit get a clean slate or a restart but rather a move toward and I least hope some continuity going on not some who who is that character . So shoul be certain things that remain true despite a new writer. They don't have to sue the stuff but at least nod and acknowledged it. This is what Diana suffers from the must restart and not instead using piece already there.

Off topic is it me or Rucka and Scott are nearly always working on projects together ? I think old guard, Lazura , Black Magick are their certain works. I wonder how they formed that bonded

What if there's another book coming? After reading sharps tweet

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    What if there's another book coming? After reading sharps tweet
    I bet Liam will be working on a Justice League title. His art is good, it wouldn't be surprising for DC to 'promote' him to their 'big team book.' At least in theory he would still be drawing WW there.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    I bet Liam will be working on a Justice League title. His art is good, it wouldn't be surprising for DC to 'promote' him to their 'big team book.' At least in theory he would still be drawing WW there.
    I could see that. Maybe even doing art for the trinity book.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I'd rather Gail Simone not come back to WW, I know she is clearly a fan and has respect, but I just would really rather getting some new talent on the book than more nostalgia stories.
    Yeah I'd like to see her come back one day or involved in some future wonder woman projects but i think they have some real new talent out there that can probably give a few good stories as long as they dont change everything that came before it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Suffering Sappho...this stinks.
    Well said. This is a bummer.

But, I'd be happy to see Simone on the book again. She's a great choice to take over.

I'm ready for a new voice on the book, my ideal takeover would be Becky Cloonan.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I don't think loving a character automatically makes you able to write them well. I wasn't a huge fan of Simone's first run so I'm not sure I'd be too excited for her return.
    Likewise. Simone can write really well, and I enjoyed some of her earlier work a lot. That was a while back, though; I really cooled on her work when she had her second run on Birds of Prey. I know she's been loaded down with a lot of editorial crap since Nu52, but even before that, her enthusiasm sometimes overwhelmed her better instincts. So I don't think I'll stick with the book if she's coming on board.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Meredith Finch, her run was cut short..
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

BANNED

I... wouldn't be a fan of Simone returning to the book, because in my mind Rucka will end his run with everything sort of set up to go forwards, bringing in an old writer will just make sure it all goes backwards. Also it isn't help that I just don't think Simone did a very good job last time around, sure it was readable, but it went nowhere and did nothing that was worth preserving.

So in my opinion, a new writer would be more welcome.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Meredith Finch, her run was cut short..
    If she returns it would be cut shorter......

Amazing Member

Pretty bummed about Rucka leaving, but on the other hand I'm stoked for more Black Magick.

Not thrilled by the idea of Gail Simone returning. I respect the hell out of her as a writer but her run didn't really work for me. I'd much rather they give a writer who has never been on the book before a shot.

I'm not really sad about Rucka leaving. I do like his writing, but his run was too focused on yet another "definitive" take on the origin. We all know how long those usually last and I feel he removed more than he built. Taking all the Paradise Island visits out of continuity just negates way too many stories, which is not what Rebirth was meant to be about.
    I wish they had just returned to a post-Crisis continuity with some new elements thrown in and actually created a new story.

I am pretty worried about the title's future, thought. DC usually s*cks when trying to replace popular writers. I don't want another Meredith Finch situation.