Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows#6 Review/Spoilers

The beginning of a two-parter co-starring the Uncanny X-Men.

spoilers:
    And we begin very much with a skirmish between Mutants, as Banshee is trying to get a warning out to the X-Men that there is a traitor in their midst...only to be savagely dealt with by Magneto.

It's Peter's birthday. Everyone is there, and Peter and MJ make reference to absent Aunts, saying May and Anna are with them in other ways, while Annie takes a look at the cakes on offer and doesn't find them all that appealing. Xavier drops in on Peter and MJ via psychic projection and extends an offer to them.

The Spider-Fam assemble at Xavier's School where Xavier lays out his plans to have Annie join the school, much to MJ's objections, saying only she can provide Annie with a normal life. Annie in the meantime bonds with Wolverine and Jean's daughter Kate (aka "Shine") and clashes with Jubilee over the prospect of her current school chum rejecting her if she were to discover she had powers!

Annie has premonitions of an attack on her father and Wolverine by someone, but she can't see who...nevertheless, sparks fly in the vision.

MJ learns from a disillusioned Cyclops that the superhuman registration act did'nt happen because Xavier and The Avengers proposed that they police superheroes and mutants themselves rather than the goverment doing so. Apparently Scott wasn't ok with this, and Jean left him for Logan...because F-'Clops is all.

Magneto and the Brotherhood attack, take out Beast, and infiltrate Cerebro, taking Annie and Shine prisoner along the way...it's then revealed the traitor is Jubilee!
    end of spoilers

Pacey issue, the birthday party was a good pay-off to what MJ had been preparing for since the second issue, we got some insight into how the continuity avoided Civil War, and Peter's concerns about Annie having a difficult time at school like him was well paralleled. Loved also how MJ's disagreements come more from the fear of losing the core family unit..she's following her motherly instincts to stay close to Annie, while Peter takes the stance that protection by any means is necessary for his daughter
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-12-2017 at 11:42 AM.

BANNED

Great issue. I'm glad this book is out of the first arc and expanding into larger places.

Very surprised by how negative people on the X-board are being about this because of the Jean/Logan thing.

BANNED

I've been used to the Logan/Jean thing stemming back to the movies and early developments in Claremont's X-Men Forever. It's not something I like but I just have to be resigned to putting up with it from the company.

Some did'nt take to Magneto being a Saturday morning villain either, but that's just how I like him. I've never bought this continuously on-the-fence type who flip flops on whether or not Charles or himself was right. It's nice to see something a bit more black and white.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    Great issue. I'm glad this book is out of the first arc and expanding into larger places.

Very surprised by how negative people on the X-board are being about this because of the Jean/Logan thing.
    Because Jean/Logan was pretty much exactly what a lot of X-fans didn't want. From my own perspective, it smacks of pandering to the people who thought Wolverine should get with Jean just because he was "cooler" than Cyclops. Speaking of, I do like his characterization here as someone who's still dedicated to Xavier's dream, but no longer sees it or the man himself through rose-colored glasses and is willing to acknowledge the faults and flaws in both.

Mary Jane's perspective is an interesting one, too, because in the X-Men comics proper, we see most mutant children's parents being less than reluctant to let their children go off with some strange man and his strangely costumed crew for their own "safety," though that's largely because most mutant children's parents don't have superpowers of their own that they can use to defend their offspring from anyone seeking to harm them. With a superhuman child's parents being able to defend said child with superhuman abilities of their own, that does remove a lot of the incentive for those parents to just hand their kid(s) over to some stranger and his school/institute.

spoilers:
    I was scared that the X-traitor here would be Cyclops, in light of his post-AvX characterization as an extremist who's largely rejected Xavier's dream and is determined to protect and preserve mutants at any cost, so I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't him . . . but surprised it turned out to be Jubilee. The hell happened to her to side with Magneto?
    end of spoilers
    The spider is always on the hunt.

There are people who really don't like to be either reminded of that relationship or that triangle .

I've never had strong feelings against it, so it didn't bother me here, though I was hoping Jean and Scott would be married.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I've been used to the Logan/Jean thing stemming back to the movies and early developments in Claremont's X-Men Forever. It's not something I like but I just have to be resigned to putting up with it from the company.

Some did'nt take to Magneto being a Saturday morning villain either, but that's just how I like him. I've never bought this continuously on-the-fence type who flip flops on whether or not Charles or himself was right. It's nice to see something a bit more black and white.
    He was basically classic Magneto here. Willing to use violent and unsavory means to ensure Homo Superior's dominance and safety in society.

I don't see what the issue would be with it here, especially for an AU. It's not like it's completely against his character to being depicted this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Because Jean/Logan was pretty much exactly what a lot of X-fans didn't want. From my own perspective, it smacks of pandering to the people who thought Wolverine should get with Jean just because he was "cooler" than Cyclops. Speaking of, I do like his characterization here as someone who's still dedicated to Xavier's dream, but no longer sees it or the man himself through rose-colored glasses and is willing to acknowledge the faults and flaws in both.
    I very much doubt that was Conway's intent here, especially since he seems to be depicting Cyke with some legitimate grievances with Xavier and how he handled subduing the Registration Act.

I am curious to see what happened that cost Scott Jean and led her into Logan's arms. It had to have been something serious.

Thats only some vocal fans. I love the Jean/Logan thing. About time it happened in some alternate reality.

"I've been used to the Logan/Jean thing stemming back to the movies and early developments in Claremont's X-Men Forever"

Its actually been a thing since the beginning, if only hinted at. When Jean first got the Phoenix force and was in the hospital recovering, Logan was going to give her flowers but threw them away when he saw scott with jean. So its been hinted at since the start.
    Last edited by Wissenschaft; 04-12-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Well, people don't like what they don't like. I though that tying it into the aversion of Civil War was an interesting choice; on one hand, averting it may have arguably made the world a better place overall; Civil War II presumably didn't happen, tensions don't seem as high as I've gathered they are in the main comics, the Parkers are arguably in a better place then they are in 616. However, on the other hand, with Cyclops, we got a case where his personal life was adversely affected. I guess to me, having a world where there are pros and cons to it as opposed to one where everything is much better is more interesting.

Mary Jane's perspective is an interesting one, too, because in the X-Men comics proper, we see most mutant children's parents being less than reluctant to let their children go off with some strange man and his strangely costumed crew for their own "safety," though that's largely because most mutant children's parents don't have superpowers of their own that they can use to defend their offspring from anyone seeking to harm them. With a superhuman child's parents being able to defend said child with superhuman abilities of their own, that does remove a lot of the incentive for those parents to just hand their kid(s) over to some stranger and his school/institute.
    Yeah, it is an interesting question: is the boarding school a better place than a "normal" upbringing? It also makes some sense, given than many of the X-Men are there because their own families reject them, something that Annie doesn't have to deal with. (Also like that it seems to be a balanced presentation of the options overall, with neither being labeled as the "right" one.)

spoilers:
    I was scared that the X-traitor here would be Cyclops, in light of his post-AvX characterization as an extremist who's largely rejected Xavier's dream and is determined to protect and preserve mutants at any cost, so I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't him . . . but surprised it turned out to be Jubilee. The hell happened to her to side with Magneto?
    end of spoilers
    In regards to the spoiler:

spoilers:
    I'm guessing that either Jubilee lost faith in the X-Men way and so joined the Brotherhood, kind of like Mystique's backstory in the X-Men movies, or she's being blackmailed by Magneto. The former could be the more mature storytelling choice, given that sometimes good people do fall. There's even a clever foreshadowing in regards to Jubilee's loyalties when she and Annie are talking about whether Annie should go to public school or Xavier's; the conversation takes on new meaning on a re-read.

If Jubilee did join the Brotherhood of her own volition, I'm curious if she'll remain one to the end or will have a change of heart and be given the means to redeem herself.
    end of spoilers

Jean/Logan being canon to the RYV is interesting, actually. And not just because I speculated that for awhile.

But I don't see how this means Marvel was painting Cyclops in a bad light. He had some legitimate grievances with how Xavier and the others handled things. I would like that add that...

spoilers:
    Cyclops wasn't the traitor. I think if Conway had gone that route, there might have been a point to people saying Cyke was being painted in a bad light. But I think he'll prove important in the next issue.
    end of spoilers

More Shine, though. She's adorable.

BANNED

Very solid issue--I don't care about the X-Men relationship dynamics that much, but I do like a villainous Magneto.

Great to see Steggy back on art.

Truly an excellent issue. In one sense, it felt classic. I liked the 90s designs for all of the X-Men and on the surface a lot of the issue harkened to core X-Men stuff. Indeed, there was this veneer of a benevolent Charles Xavier and his dream for human/mutant coexistence.

However, this issue definitely turned a lot of things of those tropes on its head. I could get a sense that something was wrong with the conversation with Cyclops. Now, I thought that the issue would play him against the way that he's been portrayed in the regular comics, as being a believer in human/mutant relations. However, the way he described his frustration with the way Charles avoided Civil War was telling that he has some resentment.

Indeed, I thought spoilers:
    he would be the traitor. Though it turned out to be Jubilee, I was both surprised and not surprised, especially after her conversation with Annie
    end of spoilers.

What I really, REALLY enjoyed about this issue was how MJ, Peter, and Annie each had a moment. It hurt, and I mean HURT, to see Annie realize that her friends might not like her since she's different. It's always painful to see a kid first hit upon that realization that the world isn't nice and accepting, that there are things like discrimination. I felt MJ's frustration with the thought of Annie being away from her. And I certainly could see Pete's reasoning for Annie to go to Xavier's, considering the crap he went through as a kid. Again, all three members of the Parker family had a poignant moment. This is something you don't see in the regular series.

Again, there was some great drama here and some nice action as well. Looking forward to the next issue!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

This is just another case of the X-fan base not knowing what they want in reality, i mean people loved seeing Summers and Frost together more than him and Jean but here it's her and Logan and that sets them off? I mean if it isn't one thing it's another with that fan base. I understand some of their grievances but every now and again they flip out over the most ridiculous things.

I am curious though, how did they not get captured along with the other superhuman before the spider family came to save the day?
    What was it that went down that made Summers lose Jean? Did he wanted the SHRA or went the other way? I feel this version it would be the former because i doubt Logan would have followed such a law....then again i could be wrong.
    Why would Jubilee do this? I mean it will make for some great drama if she has the same relationship with Logan she did in 616.

Overall though i liked how the Parker family dynamic isn't lost here with all that's happening and i can't wait to see them take on Magneto and the Brotherhood.

Another great issue that I enjoyed immensely.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Well, people don't like what they don't like. I though that tying it into the aversion of Civil War was an interesting choice; on one hand, averting it may have arguably made the world a better place overall; Civil War II presumably didn't happen, tensions don't seem as high as I've gathered they are in the main comics, the Parkers are arguably in a better place then they are in 616. However, on the other hand, with Cyclops, we got a case where his personal life was adversely affected. I guess to me, having a world where there are pros and cons to it as opposed to one where everything is much better is more interesting.

Yeah, it is an interesting question: is the boarding school a better place than a "normal" upbringing? It also makes some sense, given than many of the X-Men are there because their own families reject them, something that Annie doesn't have to deal with. (Also like that it seems to be a balanced presentation of the options overall, with neither being labeled as the "right" one.)

In regards to the spoiler:

spoilers:
    I'm guessing that either Jubilee lost faith in the X-Men way and so joined the Brotherhood, kind of like Mystique's backstory in the X-Men movies, or she's being blackmailed by Magneto. The former could be the more mature storytelling choice, given that sometimes good people do fall. There's even a clever foreshadowing in regards to Jubilee's loyalties when she and Annie are talking about whether Annie should go to public school or Xavier's; the conversation takes on new meaning on a re-read.

If Jubilee did join the Brotherhood of her own volition, I'm curious if she'll remain one to the end or will have a change of heart and be given the means to redeem herself.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Jubilee is a bit hard to read here. In her conversation with Annie, it's foreshadowed that she's the traitor, and it's clear that she genuinely doesn't want Annie to get hurt based on her entrance but her expression at the end of the issue makes her appear as if she feels ashamed at what she's doing. So it could be a matter that she's lost faith in Professor X's current methods and Magneto made her a deal that he wouldn't harm the children but in spite of that, she knows what she's doing is wrong. Guess only next issue will tell. The fact that Annie is there, maybe she'll be key in having her redeem herself as Mayday used to do back in the Spider-Girl days.
    end of spoilers

Probably my favorite issue of the series so far. Man, the art is so beautiful in this issue, it felt like I was touring the grounds and halls of the X-Mansion myself.

I'm really enjoying the new developments and the characterizations taking place in the series. The situation with Peter and MJ trying to figure out what is best for their daughter is really connecting with me due to personal situations in my own life right now. Other than that, I just love the Parker family so much. I've imagined this for decades so it's almost unreal to have a book in front of me with just that. So glad we have this title. Can't wait for next month!

I'm gonna say something I said on X-boards.

Scott/Emma are not the same as Logan/Jean.

First of all, Emma didn't chase after a married man for years. Arguments can be made that she took advantage of Scott. But forget that. I wasn't happy the way the whole psychic affair and Scott quitting and the world going to **** and then Jean pushing Scott and Emma to be together played out. Just look how f#$%^d up that is. I used to think "Scott with this blonde bimbo? Never, I say never."

But then came Astonishing X-Men, and changed my view on Scemma. You know why? Because this is how Scott/Emma relationship was treated.

"I still rate below a corpse."

The relationship wasn't good from the start. Whedon made it good. And it needs working. He gave reasons of why this relationship exists, insights to both these characters and their feelings. And so did the subsequent writers. Other great example is Phoenix: Endsong.

They didn't say, "Screw Jean and look how great Emma and Scott is together!" There was a genuine attempt on the writers part to make that relationship work. There is no wish fulfillment here, but an actual complicated relationship. For some it worked, and some still hate it.

Now look how Jean/Logan is treated.

Attachment 48009
    Attachment 48010

"...This is deeper, more primal intimacy that I ever sensed between her and Scott..."
    "I had no idea Jean was psi linked so deeply with Logan... this is much deeper..."

Tell me that doesn't sound like Twilight fanfiction level of writing.

Tell me an actual good reason why Jean would be attracted to Logan other than because he's the trademark cool guy. It doesn't stop their. In RYW, Logan and Jean are also the co-directors of school. Now, why would a cigar smoking, drinking, loner ******* be a co-director of a school?

And as much as I like Scemma, the endgame should always be Jott. It's like yeah, Peter and Felicia makes an interesting couple, but in the end, he belongs with MJ.

Get Jean in a meaningful relationship with someone else other than Cyke, I'd get behind that. But not on this fanfiction wish fulfillment.