THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default New Super-Man issue 10 (spoiler discussion)

This issue is fantastic. Love Kenan. Love Clark. Love I-Ching. Love Lex. Love Flash. Love the bad guys. Love the mystery. Love ending. Love Superman and Super-Man. Love the dialog. Love Clark's simple yet very effective words of wisdom (it's 100% what I picture he'd say). LOVE the art (so glad Bog is staying in the family after this issue).

Love this freakin' book man!

-I really just want to highlight how Yang wrote Clark in this issue. The "their pain is not your pain" line is pure gold. Also how Kenan played off Clark in the end with the "expecting a dirty joke" part? Perfection. Make me love Kenan more and really love how Yang views Superman in relation to Kenan. So simple and elegant. I hope Yang and Bog stay on the Superman books in someway forever. They are fantastic.

BANNED

I love Clark and Kenan having take-out is their end-of-issue thing now

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

What got me really excited is that Superman told him that he must do training in order to prepare for encounter with Dr Manhattan. It seems that Superman needs allies and I pray for another Supermen of the Multiverse team up to happen. Multiplicity is my second favorite story arc next to Reborn.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Well there is also the huge revenge plot coming up. Steel, Kenan, and Kara are like the original Team superman, but now we have Lana, too. And Bog drawing!

This was all the way excellent and I'm amazed that every character yang does lands so well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    -I really just want to highlight how Yang wrote Clark in this issue. The "their pain is not your pain" line is pure gold.
    Under a lesser writer, this would mean to make Superman less empathetic, more stoic. A simplistic, and even dismissive "Can't let the world get you down" attitude, but Yang writes it so that it means you can't co-opt the pain of others, because you are not the one going through it. You can empathize, understand, and then try to help.

In one panel, Yang does what might have taken other writers an entire issue to do, if not a whole arc. Reminds me of some of Morrison's work on Action.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Under a lesser writer, this would mean to make Superman less empathetic, more stoic. A simplistic, and even dismissive "Can't let the world get you down" attitude, but Yang writes it so that it means you can't co-opt the pain of others, because you are not the one going through it. You can empathize, understand, and then try to help.

In one panel, Yang does what might have taken other writers an entire issue to do, if not a whole arc. Reminds me of some of Morrison's work on Action.
    Well...he IS a certified Genius, you know....

It's a shame that the opening ran so long...it hurts adoption when opening, introductory arcs are 5-7 issues in length. The strength of this book has been one and two issue stories...wish it lead with them.

(And that last page!)

Fantastic Member

It's nice to finally read what Gene Yang is really capable of writing, instead of the Super-mess he was part of before. The opening arc was clunky, but this book is definitely finding its stride now. I just hope its sales start picking up.

So, Kenan's mom isn't dead either, so Dr. Omen?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    So, Kenan's mom isn't dead either, so Dr. Omen?
    That's what I'm thinking. I hope we get the full story before this comic ends. Another fantastic issue. I was thrown for a loop revealing the thigh was the access to his x-ray vision. Great stuff!

I never expect this from I-ching... I saw this character as a good man for his past..

Awesome monsters of oblivion..

NEXT CHAPTER.... Super-Man Zero
    Last edited by adrikito; 04-14-2017 at 04:19 AM.

Incredible Member

Some opinions:

- Superman is fantastically written here.
    - Superman still hates magic. Magic hates him back, too.
    - Why is Lex being so diminished lately? He seems to keep being pwned, or getting his rug pushed out from under him. I want a Superlex title and I want it now, btw.
    - Why was Lex going after the super-skeleton?
    - Kenan is being bamboozled. By everyone, aparently.
    - The JLoC discovers a piece of the puzzle
    - Aparently bad things being done for good reasons in this issue?
    - I-Ching is a good guy who can't see and knows nothing about time alteration.

BANNED

I had no intentions to ever read this series, but deciding on a whim to pick up the first few issues was one of my best damn decisions in recent weeks. It was amazing, and so were the next few issues I bought right after I finished them.

This series is gold, and I'm already in love with the Chinese Trinity. Now my favorite Rebirth title.

As for this issue, it was more brilliance (Rebirth Clark is BEST Clark), and the I-Ching reveal was damn shocking. Really hoping he's got a good reason for what he's doing. He's too awesome to be a jerk.

Also, cool as the Emperor Super-Man stuff looks, I kinda wanna see Alpaca again. Mainly cause I actually liked her, and really want to see just what the Hell they're gonna do with her. (Really hope they don't make her Chinese-Joker)

EDIT: Oh, and Baixi WAS my favorite member of the Chinese Trinity, but trying to arrest your sister when she's trying to be a hero? Dick move. Deilan is the best now.
    Last edited by Assam; 04-18-2017 at 02:30 PM.

Fantastic Member

This series seems to be getting a lot of high praise. I'm on the fence of whether choosing Supergirl or this book to add to my reading rotation, but I don't think Supergirl is getting as much rave reviews so New Super-Man it shall be.

I'll pick up the first trade and jump on from there. Hope this series can hang on and not get cancelled.