Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Witchfinder: The Mysteries of Unland

I've been ridiculously excited about this one for a long time. A five-issue Witchfinder series kicking off in June.

Here's the announcement about it.

Great interview! I'm looking forward to Tyler Crook's art on this. His work on Petrograd was filled with great historical references and details and I'm sure he will bring that to this project as well.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

This is going to be awesome, I love Witchfinder!

Tyler Crook posted some previews of the art alongside his inked pages:
    Preview 01
    Preview 02
    Preview 03

There's a fourth preview page on this website - http://all-comic.com/2014/first-look...ale-june-18th/

Really looking forward to this series!

An advanced (spoiler free) review of Witchfinder is also up: HERE

All-New Member

Wicked first issue, loved the Victorian penny dreadful style art change for the policeman's account of the murder.
    All those creepy eels remind me of one of my fave moments from The Mighty Boosh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA9lEDC27e4

I'm so happy that this one passed my fairly high expectations. The Mignolaverse is the place to be! I'm looking at changing my purchasing habits soon to mostly collections of some sort, but I'll continue to double dip most of my Dark Horse reads. Too damn good to wait for nice collections.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    I'm so happy that this one passed my fairly high expectations.
    I know. It's so nice when that happens.

Tyler Crook is the PERFECT fit for this book… The artwork was spectacular. Everything you said in your review Middenway was spot on.

*SPOILER*

One question though… I didn't fully understand why on page the art took on a sort of hallucinogenic look. The building and angle were warped and curved. It only lasted one page and there was no real hint that Edward was feeling odd or anything other than the fact he had just looked at the creepy kid… thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Storey View Post
    *SPOILER*

One question though… I didn't fully understand why on page the art took on a sort of hallucinogenic look. The building and angle were warped and curved. It only lasted one page and there was no real hint that Edward was feeling odd or anything other than the fact he had just looked at the creepy kid… thoughts?
    I took that to be the atmosphere of the factory, like the fumes of the place are affecting them, though they may not be consciously aware of it. Maybe it'll get explained in future issues.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    I took that to be the atmosphere of the factory, like the fumes of the place are affecting them, though they may not be consciously aware of it. Maybe it'll get explained in future issues.
    I agree. On the previous page, the final panel is creepy eel baby pointing at Sir Edward & Co. I think the visual distortion is meant to further establish that everything's not quite right in this model town.

I also enjoyed the Suspicions of Constable George Lawless. Tyler Crook's art is wonderful throughout the book, but he gets big bonus points for the Punch-style caricatures.

Three cheers to Newman and McHugh for the story and writing as well. I appreciated the period-appropriate "animalcules" and Mrs. Butler's dialect.