Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Apparently Reddit figured out where that scene was from: Attachment 50778
    Lol. I could've told you that as soon as I saw it. Classic story.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    That would work for me, mostly. I don't know if I'll ever get over the crappy Secret Origin coming back into play over Action vol. 2, but because really we only saw two things from SO; a Smallville school scene, and the helicopter rescue, I just like to imagine there's more wiggle room there than the verbatim miniseries.
    Well, we know that Secret Origin didn't play out the same way in the current continuity. The Kents died at some point for one thing, which is a pretty big deal.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spectacular Member Embryonic Superman's Avatar

Well, the Kents still died in the Morrison fashion, in a car crash near the end of Clark's senior year. With the exception of one panel in the third issue, the Kents only appear in Secret Origin up through Clark becoming a secret Superboy and meeting the Legion.

Then again, I'm personally hoping Doomsday Clock restores the Post-Crisis history of the Kents (with Jonathan still dying of a heart attack as he did during the Braniac arc) merely because I feel their presence is vital for the Death and Return saga to have the emotional resonance it does. The events of Funeral for a Friend would lose a fair bit of its punch when you mentally erase the scenes of them grieving alone in Smallville, unable to even attend their son's state funeral.

I really don't think they're too worried anymore about the emotional beats of the past stories, though. Not when it doesn't really affect the present. The loss of the Kents would make those tales as originally told lose something, I agree, but what I mean is that they're not going back and revisiting those stories anytime soon anyway so I don't think keeping the beat for beat emotional resonance in tales two decades old now is much of a priority as it doesn't matter much to the present day. The priority is and always should be with the now. In that sense the resonance with Lois is still there and that's really all that matters in that she's still alive and is his wife in the present. I don't see them going out of their way to bring the Kents back now when they passed on the opportunity once already.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-18-2017 at 08:15 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Any idea which stories of Superman/Wonder Woman series might be in continuity?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Learner View Post
    Any idea which stories of Superman/Wonder Woman series might be in continuity?
    Maybe the story with Magog, since the new 52 version still shows up in comics ? Idk, not many would make sense in continuity now.

I loathe the armor suit, but I'd loathe it much less if it was established that the black regeneration suit was actually the armored suit, which was able to change color and appearance. Clark having an armored suit would make sense given his powers were all but gone. Since Matrix wasn't around to make him a new suit from the tatters of his damaged regen suit, he just kept the armored suit but changed the colors and added his cape. The armored suit might have even been able to act as the Superman Blue containment suit.
    Spurious versions, fundamentally wrongheaded premises, can, and often do, prevail from time to time, but eventually the character, Superman himself, Tulpa Superman, will–somehow, somehow–resist and reverse that meddling, reconstituting himself in the world as he means to be. ~Alvin Schwartz (paraphrased by Tom deHaven)