Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default The New (Temp?) Wonder Woman Writer: Shea Fontana

As revealed here, the new writer for Wonder Woman, at least the five issues after Rucka's, is Shea Fontana.

he's already proven herself as the writer responsible for the lives of DC Entertainment's DC Super Hero Girls, and this summer, Shea Fontana is stepping up to the big leagues — or the Justice League, at least — as the new writer on DC's ongoing Wonder Woman series.

Fontana has signed on to write five issues of the twice-monthly series for the heroine, beginning with July's No. 26, with a storyline that will introduce a new villain into the DC Universe. The move comes fresh off the success of her DC Super Hero Girls work (in addition to two graphic novels to date, she's also written animated adventures and a digital comic series for the property).

"Having worked on DC Super Hero Girls for the last few years, I have a great sense of Wondy, a teenage Wonder Woman in a high school setting, and it's an honor and an adrenaline rush to be writing her now 'all grown up,'" Fontana said in a statement from the publisher. "Many of her core characteristics continue to remain routed in peace, justice and equality, but as an adult she’s seen a lot more war and tragedy, and is dealing with her world from a wiser, more experienced point of view."

The artist for Fontana's first two issues will be Mirka Andolfo, whose work has previously appeared in the DC Comics: Bombshells series.

Calling the chance to collaborate with Andolfo "a delight," Fontana added that the artist "has an incredible visual storytelling talent to create cinematic superhero action sequences while capturing the complexity of the characters' emotions [and] maintaining a clear focus on the evolving relationships between characters."

The pair will follow a critically acclaimed run by writer Greg Rucka and artists Liam Sharp, Nicola Scott and Bilquis Evily. Announcing his departure Wednesday, Rucka wrote that his final issue will "set a table for who is to follow, and provide for them as much room to work and explore and grow. Diana's future is bright, that's what I'm saying."

Fontana and Andolfo's first issue of Wonder Woman, No. 26, will be released in comic stores and digitally July 12, with No. 27 released July 26.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Cool! DC Superhero Girls is tons of fun, so I'm eager to see what she brings to the table.
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 04-13-2017 at 08:34 AM.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Well, I didn't expect that, I haven't read Superhero Girls but it sounds like a blast, welcome to board!

She's only signed on for five issues, so it's likely she's just a fill-in writer until DC finds someone else. But it'll be nice to see some new blood on the comic. I haven't read the DC Super Hero Girls comics, but I'm hopeful.

Although there's that whole "new villain" thing...

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

This does sound interesting.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

They lost me at "introduce a new villain". Rucka's been doing a great job of revitalizing Diana's classic rogues and now we're going to get 5 issues featuring another (probable one run wonder) new villain. I'll read the first 2 issues but if they're not spectacular, I'll drop the book until the next creative team comes along.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

The full solicits should come on Monday, right?

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Well, I didn't expect that, I haven't read Superhero Girls but it sounds like a blast, welcome to board!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    She's only signed on for five issues, so it's likely she's just a fill-in writer until DC finds someone else. But it'll be nice to see some new blood on the comic. I haven't read the DC Super Hero Girls comics, but I'm hopeful.

Although there's that whole "new villain" thing...
    You should definitely check out the DCSHG universe. It's a lot of fun and Diana is well represented there. She's already pretty much the leader of the entire school at Superhero High, and the only hero who even comes close to rivaling her in power is Supergirl. The videos on YouTube are always fun, and the comics are just about as good as well. Lately, they've been doing a lot better at incorporating action sequences into the videos and movies, so that's a good sign that Ms. Fontana will be able to deliver some good stories for Diana.

In fact? This seems like a perfect place for a shameless plug for the next DCSHG movie, coming out next month!

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    They lost me at "introduce a new villain". Rucka's been doing a great job of revitalizing Diana's classic rogues and now we're going to get 5 issues featuring another (probable one run wonder) new villain. I'll read the first 2 issues but if they're not spectacular, I'll drop the book until the next creative team comes along.
    I think it was always unrealistic to believe that DC was going to hand out some mandate to all writers to ONLY push classic Wonder Woman rogues. If a writer has a good idea for a new villain, he or she deserves a chance to introduce him or her. If it's an interesting new villain? Great! If it's a one run wonder? Eh. No harm, no foul.

And DCSHG has already made use of quite a few really obscure villains, so for all we know this "new" villain may BE a classic villain, re-imagined.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    You should definitely check out the DCSHG universe. It's a lot of fun and Diana is well represented there. She's already pretty much the leader of the entire school at Superhero High, and the only hero who even comes close to rivaling her in power is Supergirl. The videos on YouTube are always fun, and the comics are just about as good as well. Lately, they've been doing a lot better at incorporating action sequences into the videos and movies, so that's a good sign that Ms. Fontana will be able to deliver some good stories for Diana.
    Oh, I'm absolutely familiar with the DC Super Hero Girls series! Just not the comics. I've seen most of the webisodes, though. Does Fontana write for those as well?

Oh, I'm absolutely familiar with the DC Super Hero Girls series! Just not the comics. I've seen most of the webisodes, though. Does Fontana write for those as well?
    I believe so. The article certainly seems to imply she's one of the writers for the whole DCSHG universe. For the shorts and the comics. That's my reading anyway.

EDIT: I just checked IMDB, and yep. She's credited as a writer on the shorts, the movies, AND the comics. Pretty impressive range of talent, there.
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 04-13-2017 at 09:00 AM.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

DCSHG is great. It puts Diana central in the cast, and plays her as a fierce competitor, teacher's pet, and natural leader. We're in fine hands.

Wow, I was not expecting this !

To some degree this sounds like a fill-in run, but at the same time it's pretty cool to be seeing DC giving Fontana a big gig like writing the main Wonder Woman book like this. I guess it just goes to show how much they value what she's been bringing to the table with DC Super Hero Girls .

I enjoy Fontana's work on DCSHG, so I'm curious to see how she fairs writing for the main DCU and for an adult Wonder Woman. Should be interesting to see.

And who knows, if her run is well-recieved maybe they'll give her the full-time job writing the main book? Though that might take her away from working on DCSHG...

I think the only part of DC Super Hero Girls she's not involved with, writing-wise, is the novels, but those are usually based on the stuff she'd already written anyways .

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Very glad we've got a new writer. Excited for a new villain as well. Finally a new story now that we have established the status quo again.

What a fun choice! Hope Fontana does great and the new villain is really cool.