Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

"Out of left field" can't even express what I think right now. Who was really expecting this?

DC Superhero Girls is not bad but is a completely different genre from the actual Wonder Woman book, I don't know how well they're going to handle it. Anyway, this actually seems like a filler creative team but I still will try their work.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    They lost me at "introduce a new villain". Rucka's been doing a great job of revitalizing Diana's classic rogues and now we're going to get 5 issues featuring another (probable one run wonder) new villain. I'll read the first 2 issues but if they're not spectacular, I'll drop the book until the next creative team comes along.
    I'll only be fine with a new villain if Fontana focuses on Diana and doesn't try to make this villain anymore than a d lister.
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 04-13-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Just what the Wonder Woman title needs a fill-in, interim writer. Talk about killing any possible momentum. Hopefully the new writer in the fall will be a 'name,' that could bring some readers with them.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    DC probably didn't think Rucka would jump ship this early, so this may have not been planned. Hence the fill in from a no-name writer.
    That "no-name writer" has been instrumental in turning DCSHG into a billion-dollar franchise. And it's just as possible that they brought her in for a filler run because whoever they tapped to replace Rucka had some other obligations and wouldn't be ready in time to immediately take the reins from Rucka. If so, then that's a good sign because the writers who are most likely to HAVE other obligations are typically good writers who are in high demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    "Out of left field" can't even express what I think right now. Who was really expecting this?

DC Superhero Girls is not bad but is a completely different genre from the actual Wonder Woman book, I don't know how well they're going to handle it. Anyway, this actually seems like a filler creative team but I still will try their work.
    Just because she's only written one genre doesn't mean she can't handle a different one. James Wan is best-known for making horror movies, and yet all signs point to the Aquaman movie being an amazing thrill ride that may just help save the DCEU from its negative image.

The fact that she says right up front that she'll be writing Diana as a grownup seems to indicate that she isn't approaching this opportunity the way she approaches DCSHG episodes. It doesn't seem like she's going to just write a DCSHG episode for five issues. She's going to try to write an older, more mature, Wonder Woman story this time around.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

They lost me at "introduce a new villain". Rucka's been doing a great job of revitalizing Diana's classic rogues and now we're going to get 5 issues featuring another (probable one run wonder) new villain. I'll read the first 2 issues but if they're not spectacular, I'll drop the book until the next creative team comes along.
    I've also got my doubts about that particular aspect.

Unless the current team crafts an exit with a bridge to whatever comes next in mind, it might be rather jarring to just head right into that.

I strongly feel I am going to enjoy this mini series within a series

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    I've also got my doubts about that particular aspect.

Unless the current team crafts an exit with a bridge to whatever comes next in mind, it might be rather jarring to just head right into that.

After Mayfly, Devastation, Genocide, Cassandra, and the First Born being underwhelming, I just don't get excited about new villains in this title any more.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

I don't know be villians aren't what they use to be in Wonder Woman and I worry about what will happen to this new villain. One thing most I worry about is her throwing out continuity like all new writers do for Diana. And it's not going to help this can get away with Diana need in to und away to Diana never meeting this character to other dumb things.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    That "no-name writer" has been instrumental in turning DCSHG into a billion-dollar franchise. And it's just as possible that they brought her in for a filler run because whoever they tapped to replace Rucka had some other obligations and wouldn't be ready in time to immediately take the reins from Rucka. If so, then that's a good sign because the writers who are most likely to HAVE other obligations are typically good writers who are in high demand.
    I really hope so, I want to see the Wonder Woman title have high-profile creators that could bring some attention to the book. I don't want DC to treat Wondy as an 'also-ran' like they did for so long.

After Mayfly, Devastation, Genocide, Cassandra, and the First Born being underwhelming, I just don't get excited about new villains in this title any more.
    I'm not even against the idea.

I'm just not sure about "Right Off The Bat" during a five issue run. While it could certainly work, it doesn't exactly sound promising.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    I'm not even against the idea.

I'm just not sure about "Right Off The Bat" during a five issue run. While it could certainly work, it doesn't exactly sound promising.
    Hm. A harmless one-wonder villain doesn't sound so bad imo. I'll take it as a mini-series inside the run.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    DC probably didn't think Rucka would jump ship this early, so this may have not been planned. Hence the fill in from a no-name writer.
    Didn't Rucka originally announced he was signed on for 24 issues? DC had plenty of time to set up a follow-up.

If Simone came back with Dodson, that would greatly increase my anticipation for her to return as Dodson is one of my favorite Wonder Woman artists.
    Same here. I wouldn't really be excited about Simone, but the Dodsons? I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Could be DC wanted to give Fontana a shot writing one of their main titles after all her great work on DC Super Hero Girls...

Would be kind of funny if we see a flashback to a young Diana in this arc and she looks straight out of DCSHG .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Could be DC wanted to give Fontana a shot writing one of their main titles after all her great work on DC Super Hero Girls...

Would be kind of funny if we see a flashback to a young Diana in this arc and she looks straight out of DCSHG .
    That would be cute, a flashback of young Diana on Themyschira...though I feel most people wanna leave the island behind

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

As I said, she helped make DCSHG into a billion-dollar franchise. When you do stuff like that, you tend to get rewarded by your company.

Heck, considering that she has writing experience for animated movies, I'm kind of expecting to see them give her a shot at writing a DCEU movie somewhere down the road.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--