Default DC Television Universe's Steel (Spoilers)

This post contains spoilers for the "Legends of Tomorrow" season two's first few episodes, which hit Netflix the other day.

Here is a little bit of spoiler space for those who just said "Crap, I'm watching that next week, I don't want to know now." to quickly click away:

Okay, so Steel on TV is a white history major hemopheliac who gets transformed into Steel when Ray Palmer gives him a partial dose of a superserum that was originally intended to create supersoldiers for the Nazis, but which Palmer had modified some when he obtained a sample. Palmer was initially going to modify it further and inject himself (His "The Atom" suit was destroyed and he was looking for a way to be useful on a team of legends now without the suit, any sort of powers, or much fighting ability) but he injected the character who became Steel to try to prevent Steel from bleeding to death. Steel now appears to have the steel coating of John Henry Irons, and the Steel superhero name, but he's not John Henry. Different person, same superhero identity.

Lengends of Tomorrow is a time travel show set in the "Arrowverse"- ie sharing a common universe with two other live action TV shows- Arrow (Green Arrow) and The Flash. Some of its cast debuted on those shows, there are crossovers between the three programs, etc..

Supergirl is established as a different universe from the Arrowverse when (spoilers for a different show in spoiler tags) spoilers:
    The Flash travels to an alternate universe and winds up on an episode of Supergirl, expressing surprise at her existance, that she's an alien, etc.
    end of spoilers. So, no Superman, no Supergirl, probably no Metropolis or National City, etc. in the Arrowverse's home universe.

Interestingly, Ray Palmer is given Captain Cold's gun, and may actually become Captain Cold for a while (TBD, I think he got given it at the end of the episode I just watched that). I don't mind that for some reason, though I liked Snark's Captain Cold, but I'm a little ineasy about the Steel thing, maybe because minorities are underrepresented in superhero stuff, and this is turning a hero who's always been African-American into another white guy.

Plus, Captain Cold as Snart is a character in the Arrowverse, he's just "indisposed" (Avoiding spoiling things for people unmecessarily) right now, so of Palmer takes the name, he'll be second in the line and Snart's version will be remembered. And we don't know yet whether Palmer will even take the CC name, or just the gun. The other guy is definitely going by Steel, it looks like.

I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts.

One favor to ask:

I'm only just finished the American Civil War episode. If you have to post any major spoilers for the rest of the season of Legends of Tomorrow I'm watching that go beyond that episode, please use spoiler tags so I can wait to read them until I am caught up on tje show. Thanks!

Maybe also take care with spoilers for Arrow or The Flash from this televison season, which haven't hit Netflix yet and I am still waiting to watch.

Oh, and if anyone wants a good reason to watch the show beyond that its a cool time travel show set in a version of the DC Universe with some familar characters:

spoilers:
    A modified Justice Society of America is in some of the early episodes of season two. No Jay Garrick Flash or Superman because it'd violate the contonuity of the Arrowverse, and no Green Lantern for reasons unknown, but they have Hour Man, Obsidian, the woman who can summon the power of animals, etc..
    end of spoilers

Oh, and Doctor Who fans will notice a familar face from episode one of season one of Legends.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 04-13-2017 at 11:01 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

That's Commander Steel aka Henry Heywood of the JSA. Created in 1978. http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Henry_Heywood,_Sr._(New_Earth)

He has nothing to do with John Henry Irons, but I somewhat understand the confusion.

While I have, I'd like to tell you about a comic you might like. It's called C.O.W.L. It's Superheroes meets Mad Men, and it's set in the late 40s to early 50s, if I recall. It's quite good, and it may scratch that itch for you. Let me know how you like it if you decide to check it out.

Last edited by Superlad93; 04-13-2017 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    That's Commander Steel aka Henry Heywood of the JSA. Created in 1978. http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Henry_Heywood,_Sr._(New_Earth)

He has nothing to do with John Henry Irons, but I somewhat understand the confusion.

While I have, I'd like to tell you about a comic you might like. It's called C.O.W.L. It's Superheroes meets Mad Men, and it's set in the late 40s to early 50s, if I recall. It's quite good, and it may scratch that itch for you. Let me know how you like it if you decide to check it out.

I just added C.O.W.L. to may Amazon wishlist. It sounds pretty awesome. So thanks for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    This post contains spoilers for the "Legends of Tomorrow" season two's first few episodes, which hit Netflix the other day.

Here is a little bit of spoiler space for those who just said "Crap, I'm watching that next week, I don't want to know now." to quickly click away:

Okay, so Steel on TV is a white history major hemopheliac who gets transformed into Steel when Ray Palmer gives him a partial dose of a superserum that was originally intended to create supersoldiers for the Nazis, but which Palmer had modified some when he obtained a sample. Palmer was initially going to modify it further and inject himself (His "The Atom" suit was destroyed and he was looking for a way to be useful on a team of legends now without the suit, any sort of powers, or much fighting ability) but he injected the character who became Steel to try to prevent Steel from bleeding to death. Steel now appears to have the steel coating of John Henry Irons, and the Steel superhero name, but he's not John Henry. Different person, same superhero identity.

Lengends of Tomorrow is a time travel show set in the "Arrowverse"- ie sharing a common universe with two other live action TV shows- Arrow (Green Arrow) and The Flash. Some of its cast debuted on those shows, there are crossovers between the three programs, etc..

Supergirl is established as a different universe from the Arrowverse when (spoilers for a different show in spoiler tags) spoilers:
    The Flash travels to an alternate universe and winds up on an episode of Supergirl, expressing surprise at her existance, that she's an alien, etc.
    end of spoilers. So, no Superman, no Supergirl, probably no Metropolis or National City, etc. in the Arrowverse's home universe.

Interestingly, Ray Palmer is given Captain Cold's gun, and may actually become Captain Cold for a while (TBD, I think he got given it at the end of the episode I just watched that). I don't mind that for some reason, though I liked Snark's Captain Cold, but I'm a little ineasy about the Steel thing, maybe because minorities are underrepresented in superhero stuff, and this is turning a hero who's always been African-American into another white guy.

Plus, Captain Cold as Snart is a character in the Arrowverse, he's just "indisposed" (Avoiding spoiling things for people unmecessarily) right now, so of Palmer takes the name, he'll be second in the line and Snart's version will be remembered. And we don't know yet whether Palmer will even take the CC name, or just the gun. The other guy is definitely going by Steel, it looks like.

I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts.

One favor to ask:

I'm only just finished the American Civil War episode. If you have to post any major spoilers for the rest of the season of Legends of Tomorrow I'm watching that go beyond that episode, please use spoiler tags so I can wait to read them until I am caught up on tje show. Thanks!

Maybe also take care with spoilers for Arrow or The Flash from this televison season, which haven't hit Netflix yet and I am still waiting to watch.

Oh, and if anyone wants a good reason to watch the show beyond that its a cool time travel show set in a version of the DC Universe with some familar characters:

spoilers:
    A modified Justice Society of America is in some of the early episodes of season two. No Jay Garrick Flash or Superman because it'd violate the contonuity of the Arrowverse, and no Green Lantern for reasons unknown, but they have Hour Man, Obsidian, the woman who can summon the power of animals, etc..
    end of spoilers

Oh, and Doctor Who fans will notice a familar face from episode one of season one of Legends.
    The Steel on Legends of Tomorrow is the television version of Steel from JLA - Detroit team. He is the grandson of Commmander Steel from the All Star Squadron. It will be interesting to see if the bring JHI into the Arrowverse.

Nate/Citizen Steel is a different character. He was introduced in Geoff Johns second JSA run.

Retired

Nate's grandfather Hank, when he was first introduced at the end of 1977 (in a story set in 1939), was just called Steel. As the cover, by Don Heck and Al Mligrom, for STEEL, THE INDESTRUCTIBLE MAN, makes clear--

The book didn't last long--five issues. Victim of the DC Implosion. Co-creator Gerry Conway salvaged Steel by having Heywood's grandson, Hank, become the second Steel and joining the JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA (in 1984). Meanwhile, Roy Thomas had rescued the original Hank Heywood and used him in ALL-STAR SQUADRON, where he was now Commander Steel (which makes the similarity to Captain America a little too obvious, in my opinion). And that complicates things, as one Steel is supposed to be on Earth-Two, while the other is on Earth-One.

Another grandson, Nate, didn't become (Citizen) Steel until more than twenty odd years later.

It would be interesting if DC could iron out the continuity to establish some connection between John Henry Irons and the Heywood family. Or maybe they have (not up on my latest DC continuity).

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

This was the first apperence of Nate Heywood in the DCU as Citizen Steel. In the comics Nate still had the steel hard skin he just didn't turn all chrome looking. He could not really feel anything or control his strength. He had to keep his costume on all the time to keep him from breaking things. or people.
    Last edited by Zero Hunter; 04-14-2017 at 05:17 PM.

Just wow...

Okay, guys, I think SuperCrab gets the point.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Nate's grandfather Hank, when he was first introduced at the end of 1977 (in a story set in 1939), was just called Steel. As the cover, by Don Heck and Al Mligrom, for STEEL, THE INDESTRUCTIBLE MAN, makes clear--
    I read Steel #2 not too long ago... here's a review. Has anyone else read it? What do you think? I haven't watched this show much but am now curious how the character relates to the comic. This is a good thread!
    Last edited by h3athrow; 12-21-2017 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    Steel in LOT is based on a 1970s character who operated during World War II, Actually, the Steel character in LOT is the grandson of the WWII Steel, who is a member of the JSA. Neither Steel has anything to do with John Henry Irons.

Sandy Hausler

EDIT: Sorry, I see others have beaten me to this point.

Retired

Thanks for reviving this thread. I knew I had posted about Steel somewhere, but didn't know it was on this thread until today.