Amazing Member

Default Difference between JL and JLA?

What's the difference between JL and JLA? Is either worth checking out?

Fantastic Member TruthAndJustice's Avatar

Different lineups. Steve Orlando's JLA has been good for quite a while now. Now that Christopher Priest is writing JL, it's finally really worth reading.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Previously, Bryan Hitch's Justice League was boring whereas Steve Orlando's Justice League of America was booooring.

Currently, Priest & Woods have put out one issue of Justice League and it was good enough to warrant checking out the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Priest's book is good.
    Beat me to it
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Priest's book is good.
    Yeah, that’s pretty much it.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Am I missing something here, or am I the only person that enjoys JLA haha? Like, is it the best book? No. But it's not the worst, the characters are enjoyable, as are the stories....I'm just lost with all the hate haha.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Priest's Justice League, which is only 2 issues old as of tomorrow, is very promising and off to a great start.

Hitch wrote Justice League up to that point and his stories were maybe the blandest JL stories ever. One forgettable megathreat after another to deliver his signature "wide-screen" action. Unfortunately his version of widescreen action as a writer is incredibly dull and so DC's flagship book was almost unreadable and was imminently forgettable.

Orlando launched JLA a year ago or so I'd say. It's been an unpleasant surprise to most fans and critics though it has its fan base here and there. Started off incredibly promising with a typically great creative team in Orlando and Ivan Reis (and an incredibly promising series of one-shots about the new members which makes one wonder who wrote those because it just can't have been the same Steve Orlando that writes the series) who seemed to fade away from that book at about the same pace as readers did, and came back for promising arcs then faded away again to be replaced, again coincident with at least my continual dropping then reading this bizarrely disappointing book. Panic in the Microverse was its "big" arc, the one that followed up on an Atom story seeded in DCU Rebirth which made it a pretty major mystery and boy oh man, that arc couldn't have been more dismal and dull if it tried. It was only ever worthwhile when Reis would pop in to draw an issue.

And I still haven't given up on it because I find it hard to even articulate why or how it's bad, only that it is. It is strangely bad. But not in a way where there's some cult aspect to like. It just feels worse than it has any reason to be, even with all the fill-in artists. I don't understand how DC is allowing it to be what it is. It's a very colorful lineup and should be a top book and top seller but for whatever reason while everything else got a little or a lot better from Rebirth Justice League titles were the worst surprises of the bunch.

Until Priest's Justice League, which I cannot wait to buy and read tomorrow.

In fairness the last two issues of Orlando's JLA, featuring Prometheus, have been better than the rest. So it seems to be trending upward, somewhat, for the last two issues. But it has a long climb ahead of it, having felt so random and so unnecessary and (maybe the best way to put it is) so rudderless for so long.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The second issue of Priest & Woods Justice League was even better than the first.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I was going to say A.....

Justice League was just SO DAMN BORING!!!
    It was going for big screen, but it just read so dull.
    I dropped it after 10 issues.
    JLA didn't grab me either, but it sounds like it might be worth giving it another look.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The second issue of Priest & Woods Justice League was even better than the first.
    Hear hear!

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

JL stinks and JLA is pretty good
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor