Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bishop88 View Post
    this is gonna be such a massive flop and sales disaster..im sure some people will pick it up for the kubert art and zdarsky seems like a good guy his creator owned work his decent but any book hes touched as marvel as been a dumpster fire and a sales thud,,starlord anyone... the book got 6 awful issues but should have been done after 2 and howard teh duck ughh....honestly how may times has marvel tried a companion book for amazing even with A list artists and the book has failed each and every time. I know slott isnt for everybody and i even admit his spidey is growing tiresome nad if you want new creators on the book fine but they need to rethink things and when this spect spidey is canceled after probbaly 6 to 8 issues get back to putting amazing spidey out 2x month each and every month
    Wow, this post elevates being wrong to an art form!

The chances of this being a "massive flop" and "sales disaster" are nil. There is absolutely no way this doesn't perform well.

And to think it could be cancelled after 6 to 8 issues? Seriously? Even if this were an outright bomb, it'd still get 12 issues, no question.

And companion books or satellite titles have been hugely successful over the years. The fact that we haven't had one in so long is only going to stoke interest in this.

Zdarsky's other Marvel books didn't sell well because, well, they were Howard the Duck and Star Lord. I expect more people will be inclined to pick up a Spidey title from him.

Fantastic Member

please name one satelite book that has been sucessful since the year 2000 tangled web, webspinners spiderman team up astonishing spiderman avenging spiderman,im sure a few others some werent absolute bombs and usually the first arc to 5 issues they sold well but after that they all were massive let downs. Its really nobodys fault but al arge population of comic buyers and once again these are people that have probbaly never even heard of cbr when they think of spiderman they think amazing spiderman and are mentally trained that its the only spiderman book that counts. REally look back at every other spidey book and with a few expections maybe mark millars 12 issue run amazing almost always doubled even tripled the sales of any satelitte companion book
    going to be no diffrent here

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bishop66 View Post
    please name one satelite book that has been sucessful since the year 2000 tangled web, webspinners spiderman team up astonishing spiderman avenging spiderman,im sure a few others some werent absolute bombs and usually the first arc to 5 issues they sold well but after that they all were massive let downs. Its really nobodys fault but al arge population of comic buyers and once again these are people that have probbaly never even heard of cbr when they think of spiderman they think amazing spiderman and are mentally trained that its the only spiderman book that counts. REally look back at every other spidey book and with a few expections maybe mark millars 12 issue run amazing almost always doubled even tripled the sales of any satelitte companion book
    It's true that the challenge of satellite titles is that they're perceived as being disposable. That's the main reason why they were dropped and ASM became the primary Spider book. That said, satellite titles still perform ok. And the fact that there hasn't been a true satellite book in so long is going to stoke the interest in this. But like I said, even if this BOMBS, Marvel's going to keep it around for at least 12 issues. The idea that this would get yanked after 6 or 8 issues is absurd. That's just not going to happen. I'd say the very least this runs is 24 issues.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bishop66 View Post
    If we are counting that stuff as satelite titles what about Spider-man/deadpool? And why are we ignoring the first 35+ years where titles such as spetacular where a very descent seller and had a very good run? If batman can have about a dozen titles each month there is room for Spidey to have two as long as it is well made.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    It's true that the challenge of satellite titles is that they're perceived as being disposable. It's the main reason why they were dropped and ASM became the primary Spider book. That said, satellite titles still perform ok. And the fact that there hasn't been a true satellite book in so long is going to stoke the interest in this. But like I said, even if this BOMBS, Marvel's going to keep it around for at least 12 issues. The idea that this would get yanked after 6 or 8 issues is absurd. That's just not going to happen. I'd say the very least this runs is 24 issues.
    Yeah if titles like webspinners, silk and Scarlet Spider got as many issues as they did there really is no reason why this one would not give us atleast 12 issues/ 2 trades worth of material. 12 would also give them enough to make a complete/ultimate collection that could be sold for some time like the Marvel knight series from Millar

Zdarsky is probably not going to bring in a huge audience but Kubert and it being another Peter Parker solo will probably do most of the work in keeping this book going.

Astonishing Member

Spectacular Spider-Man is looking to be a great new Spider-Man comic book.
    Very happy to see Kubert being the main artist.
    Spectacular Spider-Man will be a must buy comic book i would say.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Spectacular Spider-Man will be a must buy comic book i would say.
    Depends entirely on what Zdarsky does with it or is allowed to do with it. The promise of some cross-pollinisation with ASM developments gives it something of an advantage, as is the promise of Peter "growing" with his team-up experiances, but we've seen Peter learn lessons in limited series and whatnot, only to have none of that really spill over into the main book.

And the foundation of the book's first arc is yet another storyline that ties back to Peter's origin, we've had so many of them over the years that the origin is starting to have too much importance put on it rather than existing as a simple story of moral consequences.

Don't get me wrong, I want the book to suceed very much, but let's not jump the gun and say it's "must-buy" before one issue comes out
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-18-2017 at 04:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Depends entirely on what Zdarsky does with it or is allowed to do with it. The promise of some cross-pollinisation with ASM developments gives it something of an advantage, as is the promise of Peter "growing" with his team-up experiances, but we've seen Peter learn lessons in limited series and whatnot, only to have none of that really spill over into the main book.

And the foundation of the book's first arc is yet another storyline that ties back to Peter's origin, we've had so many of them over the years that the origin is starting to have too much importance put on it rather than existing as a simple story of moral consequences.

Don't get me wrong, I want the book to suceed very much, but let's not jump the gun and say it's "must-buy" before one issue comes out
    "Cross-Pollination" would be fine but, IMO, I hope it's a good long while (never would be better) before the crossovers with ASM or other spider-titles begin. My hope is that this title resembles the original PP:SSM title of the 1970's/early 1980's where stories referenced other developments but you weren't forced to but the other titles. Before anyone dismisses my wistfulness as being that of a senile old fart (old fart, yes; senile,not quite yet), keep in mind that the original PP:SSM title ran over 250 issues and the first 150 or so were mostly crossover-free. Ah, the glorious pre-crossover, pre-event days.....

BANNED

Saw the solicit for issue two:

PETER PARKER: THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN #2

Chip Zdarsky (W), Adam Kubert (A/C), Jim Lee (VC), Arthur Adams (VC).

* A tech-crime ring is tightening around Spider-Man.

* If Ironheart will stop beating him up, she may be able to help him zero in on the source.

* And who is the S.H.I.E.L.D. agent showing up at Peter's door with more info on Spidey than anyone should have?
    Maybe MJ will show up in this issue too since Riri does?

Mighty Member

Where did you find that solicit? I guess we will see if MJ shows up or not.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Where did you find that solicit? I guess we will see if MJ shows up or not.
    The July solicits have leaked early, I found them while browsing forums on Comicvine, they're legit though, as they come with covers.

I'd share the cover to the July issue, but it's probably best to wait for them to spread to reputable websites.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-18-2017 at 08:28 AM.

We're getting team-ups as early as issue #2? I hope this book doesn't turn out to be a stealth Marvel Team-Up book .

And Ironheart beating Spidey up? I hope that's not typical of these team-ups going forward .

When I think of a SHIELD Agent in a Spider-Man book, after begrudgingly accepting SHIELD in a Spider-Man book, I think Mockingbird but it sounds like someone else. Probably Coulson or his team for MCU synergy...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    We're getting team-ups as early as issue #2? I hope this book doesn't turn out to be a stealth Marvel Team-Up book .
    The cover's a pretty big indicator of that

(I browsed the Miles Morales thread and found someone had posted a cover from the solicits relating to Secret Empire, so I assume it's safe to post this then...)

The cover's a pretty big indicator of that

(I browsed the Miles Morales thread and found someone had posted a cover from the solicits relating to Secret Empire, so I assume it's safe to post this then...)
    Huh...well this feels a little less "back-to-basics," especially if it's just another Spider-Man team-up book (which practically every Spider-Man book is these days).

I guess they attached the Spec name to this for marketing purposes so it might sell better then some of the past Spider-Man team-up books.