Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Default Newspaper Comics: Anybody else read them?

Maybe I'm weird, but I actually enjoy several newspaper comics. The only good ones my local paper publishes is Blondie and Prince Valiant.

And one thing that has irked me for the last year or so is that I cannot find the Phantom published ANYWHERE AROUND MY AREA, if you live in Kansas I guess your out of luck.

Supposedly Mandrake Flash Gordon still are published but I have yet to see them personally. I have been hunting for a paper that publishes any of these.

So basically What Newspaper Comics do you like, and what does your local Newspaper Publish?
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

None for me, thanks.

After Calvin & Hobbes it's all insignificant now.

Once upon a time, Spider-Man, Calvin & Hobbes, Peanuts, Dilbert, Far Side, etc.

Nowadays, we don't buy newspapers no more.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Astonishing Member

You can read Phantom (daily and Sunday, which is a separate continuity) and Mandrake (daily re-runs and new strips on Sunday) along with Flas Gordon (Sunday reprints) on the King Features comics home page:

Comics Kingdom current comics

I find it a little funny that in 2017, they're is still very little info on the net about who publishes what. Yeah I suppose you can just get on comics kingdom sure, but personally they're is a slight difference in quality and it disturbs my Sunday ritual of actually cutting the strip out with scissors you know....Old school.
    Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Once upon a time, Spider-Man, Calvin & Hobbes, Peanuts, Dilbert, Far Side, etc.

Nowadays, we don't buy newspapers no more.
    Yeah Calvin and Hobbes gets alot of love, I actually forgot about it, it's a little before my time.

Astonishing Member

Calvin and Hobbes is reprinted daily on the "other" man site for newspaper strips, Andrews McMeel Syndication. You can see their offerings of strips here.

When I stumble across the Sunday comics I always go to Beetle Bailey first, then Blondie, Hagar the Horrible then Drabble. I'll usually get a glance at Garfield and the Peanuts repeat since they're always on the front page.

At one point the Boston Globe(?) was the only paper publishing Flash Gordon. This was in my Comic Strip Encyclopedia from the mid-90s. I wish that Popeye and Katzenjammer Kids would get greater exposure. Prince Valiant was ruined when they shrunk down the size years ago, that strip used to be a marvel to look at. The artistic magestry of it was stupendous.
    Last edited by Thor2014; 04-15-2017 at 11:04 PM.

All-New Member

Helle there, Also I'm not buying a newspaper anymore. Dilbert, Superman, Spiderman, Peanuts, Calvin & Hobbes, Far Side, etc.

I'd be curious to know if modern fans (younger than 30) associate comic strips and comic books any more. Fans of my generation usually lumped together because the latter seemed to gain respectability by association with the former. But in terms of presentation, they're as different as TV shows and movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    When I stumble across the Sunday comics I always go to Beetle Bailey first, then Blondie, Hagar the Horrible then Drabble. I'll usually get a glance at Garfield and the Peanuts repeat since they're always on the front page.

At one point the Boston Globe(?) was the only paper publishing Flash Gordon. This was in my Comic Strip Encyclopedia from the mid-90s. I wish that Popeye and Katzenjammer Kids would get greater exposure. Prince Valiant was ruined when they shrunk down the size years ago, that strip used to be a marvel to look at. The artistic magestry of it was stupendous.
    Much appreciate the info on Flash Gordon, and if the Comic Strip Encyclopedia is still up, I'd love to check it out. There if precious little info out there about these things. Flash Gordon, I believe still went on until 2007/8? or so, yet I have never seen it in a newspaper for a long time. It's still syndicated according to King features but I have yet to see it. As for Prince Valiant, my local paper still publishes the half page spread right next to the crossword, so maybe I'm lucky there, but I have seen it in the reduced size in other papers, maybe it just depends on the paper?

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    I'd be curious to know if modern fans (younger than 30) associate comic strips and comic books any more.
    Well...largely no. I'm 26 and grew up in the age of diminished newspaper strips.
    Fans of my generation usually lumped together because the latter seemed to gain respectability by association with the former. But in terms of presentation, they're as different as TV shows and movies.
    right. But the last 40 years or so have been trending away from adventure/superhero strips. I think younger people would read newspaper strips, if the content was there. Instead putting up stuff like Zits, Get Fuzzy, stuff younger folks generally don't care about. Right now, it doesn't seen like papers are really interested in going after a younger demo. Even Spider-Man isn't published that widely at least in the central Midwest anyway. I think if more papers got rid of Peanuts reruns and put up stuff like the Phantom, or Spider-Man. Sure, young people would read it.

Mighty Member

Granma by Chas Kuhn.

Quote Originally Posted by RedWhiteAndBlueSupes View Post
    I
    Yeah Calvin and Hobbes gets alot of love, I actually forgot about it, it's a little before my time.
    Calvin & Hobbes is "THE" greatest newspaper cartoon strip ever created. Please purchase & read The Complete Calvin & Hobbes so that you may bring joy, ecstasy & all of life's hidden meanings will be revealed to you.

Mandrake
    Flash Gordon
    The Phantom
    Dick Tracy
    Prince Valiant
    Amazing Spider-Man

And the strips I read for laughs:
    The Lockhorns
    Mutts
    Get Fuzzy
    Blondie
    Peanuts
    Beetle Bailey
    Hagar the Horrible

Extensive list of comic strip sites
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

This old one from Mamma's Angel Child (circa 1908) stood out to me. Art by M.T. "Penny" Ross.

Astonishing Member

I'm old. I'm from the generation when every family subscribed to a daily paper (or even two, one on the morning and one in the evening), and every paper had 3 or more pages filled with comics strips that were printed large. Children and adults read them all, and in fact that has how most kids learned how to read, back then. Nowadays, the comics have shrunk both in terms of the number of pages in the newspapers (which themselves have shrunk significantly, in recent years), and in terms of the physical size of the strips. The art in most of them is bad, because there's just no room physically for any detail at all. Nevertheless, I regularly read lots of strips online (where they're larger, or at least can be magnified) on these two sites:

Comics Kingdom (King features)
    GoComics (UClick syndicate)

I especially like the "Vintage" section of Comics Kingdom, where you can read strips like Flash Gordon, Phantom, Heart of Juliet Jones, Apartment 3-G, etc., from the days when comic-strip art was significantly better than the comic-book art of the time.