Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    I'm old. I'm from the generation when every family subscribed to a daily paper (or even two, one on the morning and one in the evening), and every paper had 3 or more pages filled with comics strips that were printed large. Children and adults read them all, and in fact that has how most kids learned how to read, back then. Nowadays, the comics have shrunk both in terms of the number of pages in the newspapers (which themselves have shrunk significantly, in recent years), and in terms of the physical size of the strips. The art in most of them is bad, because there's just no room physically for any detail at all.
    It's weird, because while some artists got around it, I noticed that even back then, it sometimes looked like creators couldn't say all that they wanted to say in the comics without feeling too crammed in, like this reprint page from Famous Funnies #2 (September, 1934), which tries to fit in like 30 panels.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

They don't have any good ones where I live.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    None for me, thanks.

After Calvin & Hobbes it's all insignificant now.
    ^^^Pretty much the same for me. I mean, I don’t even buy newspapers any more.

Before I retired from the Military, the Army Times would always be laying around from week to week, and I was a big fan of PVT. Murphy’s Law...:

It followed Murphy from recruiter to basic to airborne school to regular duty to advancing in rank to marriage to 9/11 to deployments. They stopped publishing it, but, it was pretty much the last comic strip I ever read.

Mighty Member

I read just about every strip and I especially like Brewster Rockit. I also like the blogs Comics Curmudgeon and Comics I Don't Understand.

Incredible Member

Best new strip of the last decade: Breaking Cat News.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

I love newspaper comics. I read them just as much as Manga and regular comic books. I’m glad there is a thread here to discuss them.

Boisterously Confused

I glance at what's in my daily paper, but I can't say I really follow them anymore. After For Better And For Worse folded, I sort of lost interest. Growing up, I used to love a lot of them, including the soap strips like Apartment 3G. My favorite was probably Steve Roper and Mike Nomad. That last one has a unique and interesting history, starting as a WC Fields knock off comedy strip, transitioning to adventure, and cycling through no less than 4 leading characters along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    After Calvin & Hobbes it's all insignificant now.
    Have you read The Academia Waltz?