Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member

Default Doomsday is superb

I've never been a Superman fan, but the entire 90s storyline with Doomsday is AMAZING

The Death, Funeral and Return is what got me into Superman comics as a subscribed reader.

I'm currently re-reading it after years and I gotta agree. Even though it would by any measure appear as nothing more than a stunt to get people reading the books it was done with such care and planning that ended becoming one of the seminal superman stories of all time.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Ha. Sitting in my car now with this thing. Parked of course
    Attached Images Attached Images

That whole story had such a presence at the time. I was reading all the issues as they came out. It was so huge and so well written that I had Aunts and Uncles who never read comics before asking me to pick them up copies when I went to the store. It became this whole phenomenon in my family. We couldn't wait for the next issue. We'd read the latest issue and then discuss it all. Plus you take into account the impact it had on other media. We had Doomsday in Smallville ad BvS. It still holds up and influences tv and movies to this day.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    That whole story had such a presence at the time. I was reading all the issues as they came out. It was so huge and so well written that I had Aunts and Uncles who never read comics before asking me to pick them up copies when I went to the store. It became this whole phenomenon in my family. We couldn't wait for the next issue. We'd read the latest issue and then discuss it all. Plus you take into account the impact it had on other media. We had Doomsday in Smallville ad BvS. It still holds up and influences tv and movies to this day.
    This sounds like my family at the time. I was buying them with my allowance , and my older brother and Mother was also reading them as they came out and my Mom actually was reading them regularly until the late 90's! My Dad,who usually wasn't too fond of my comics habit at the time was even catching glances at a few issues during the Death and Return era. It was a special time for sure. Good times.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    The size of that thing! Is it confortable to read?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It's pretty well made, good quality pages and sits well when you read it. As an "end all be all" edition I wish it included MoS #17 and a few other related stories, but it's as good as any omnibus.

If I didn't just buy it, though, I'd probably get the five trade volumes for the sake of convenience. I'm a little reluctant to let people borrow a book that size lol

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I. WANT! LOL

Yeah...I have to agree with the OP. DOOMSDAY itself is just one long fight...but as a whole the trilogy of DOOMSDAY, WORLD WITHOUT A SUPERMAN, and REIGN is hard to beat. I was already a casual reader,but this story lead to me becoming a life long reader and devoted fan of the character.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I've never been a Superman fan, but the entire 90s storyline with Doomsday is AMAZING
    It makes my heart happy to read this. I'm curious: if you're not a Superman fan, what's the appeal of this story? It's been bashed over the years as a "stunt," but it's really a celebration of what makes Superman who and what he is from a time when anti-heroes ruled the roost. It's the story that got me into Superman and DC on a regular basis and remains my favorite Superman story.

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    The Death, Funeral and Return is what got me into Superman comics as a subscribed reader.
    Same here, brother. I loved the Reeve movies and Super Friends as a kid and thumbed through my brother's Superman comics as a kid, but Batman 89 got me into the comic shop for the first time. I was into the darker stuff (Batman, Ghost Rider, Punisher, Wolverine) until I learned that Superman was going to die. I thought he was a little lame at the time, but when I read the Death of Superman arc, I was "converted." I left school every Friday afternoon and made a half-hour drive to get the next issue. A few of my friends also got hooked and we talked about who might be Superman and when he was going to return. It was a glorious time to be a Superman and a comic book fan in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    The fight sequence between Superman and Doomsday stands as among the best extended fight sequences ever staged in superhero comics.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I'd say it's the best, but I'm biased. This is one of the reasons I'm not a fan of the Superman/Doomsday animated film, as the scope and length of their battle is shortened to just happening in Metropolis. I also hated that they ditched the climatic final punches for Superman killing him by smashing him into the ground. The more I re-watch that movie, the more I feel cheated out of the epic that was in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I. WANT! LOL

Yeah...I have to agree with the OP. DOOMSDAY itself is just one long fight...but as a whole the trilogy of DOOMSDAY, WORLD WITHOUT A SUPERMAN, and REIGN is hard to beat. I was already a casual reader,but this story lead to me becoming a life long reader and devoted fan of the character.
    It's amazing to me that people still bash the story based just on the first chapter. The battle with Doomsday and death was just the beginning, yet some seem to stop there and dismiss the entire saga as a "stunt."

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I. WANT! LOL

If you are looking for it, cheapgraphicnovels.com is an amazing site for brand new books at 40%-75% off cover price depending on sales.