Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Bat Family Relationship/Dynamics

So a recent talk in the Batfamily dream game thread got me thinking... There's also the fact that I'm not really a huge fan of Batman himself. It's more like, I enjoy the universe around him and his relation to all these interesting characters.

So I'm just wondering if someone can recommend some comics that delve into the relationships Bruce has with the various Robins and Batgirls.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NK1988 View Post
    So a recent talk in the Batfamily dream game thread got me thinking... There's also the fact that I'm not really a huge fan of Batman himself. It's more like, I enjoy the universe around him and his relation to all these interesting characters.

So I'm just wondering if someone can recommend some comics that delve into the relationships Bruce has with the various Robins and Batgirls.
    That's a difficult one since only Tomasi's Batman and Robin is a title that I would say focused on Batman's relationship with a particular family member. There are single issues of comics where relationships is the focus but I can't recall off the top of my head. Of course I haven't read all comics so might be wrong.

This is all within the last 3-4 years. Right now Tynion in Detective comics, is probably the best. Also Red Hood has some pages dedicated to Jason and Bruce, plus some great art/images of them together. I like them. Superman 10-11 and SuperSons has some pages dedicated to Bruce and Damian. Like the above poster stated Tomasi has some great issues in Batman & Robin and has some of my favorite panels of the Bruce and Damian…and Titus.

Dick's relationship with Bruce is interesting because it varies from story to story. In stories like New Teen Titans, he is struggling to get out from under Bruce's shadow, while at other times he has a warm relationship with Bruce. My recommendations for Dick won't paint a consistent picture of Dick and Bruce, but each one depicts Bruce and Dick's relationship(s).

-Nightwing Vol. 2 by Chuck Dixon shows Dick's insecurities with Bruce

-Nightwing: Better Than Batman of Rebirth shows Bruce as a positive influence upon Dick's development

-Grayson #12 is reflective of their relationship, but is a unique because it occurs when Bruce doesn't have his memory

-New Teen Titans vols 5 & 6 explores Dick's struggle to escape Batman's shadow, however Bruce rarely appears and is more of an influence

-Batman 416 shows Dick's hurt of being replaced as Robin

There are plently of other stories that handle their dynamic well, but these are a few that explicitly deal with their relationship.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 04-29-2017 at 09:21 AM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Extraordinary Member

For Jason I would recomment from the pre flashpoint continuity, Second Chances, Death in the Family and of course Under the Red Hood (or watch the movie, ich is better and cheaper than the comic) and maybe Nightwing Year One.

Post Flashpoint the best is probaly from the first run of Red Hood and the Outlaws issue 17 and 18, the first story arc of the second Run of Red Hood and the Outlaws, maybe Red Hood/Arsenal #5, Batman/Superman Annual #1 and from the new 52 Batman and Robin Series issue 20.

If you are interset in stuff that is not part of the main continuity Batman the Last Crusasde is great and Arkham Knight Genesis are also not bad.

Batgirl/Robin Year One

The Chuck Dixon runs of Nightwing, Birds of Prey, and Robin

Batman: No Man's Land

Grant Morrison's Batman epic

Batman: Gates of Gotham

Some parts of Peter Tomasi's Batman and Robin

Tim Seeley's Nightwing

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

For (a positive look at) Bruce's relationship with Steph:

Tec 647-649 - Steph's origin, and set the tone for Bruce/Steph interactions for a long time.

Batman: Gotham Knights 22 - an early team-up that goes well (I'm leaving out some significant ones that go very poorly)

Robin 87-88 - Batman tells Steph Tim's identity, and then trains her personally

Robin 126-128 - Steph's run as Robin. The first two are pretty fun. The third has some fun moments, but is horrible warped to meet the editorial dictates that Steph be warped to a place where she sets War Games in motion.

Tec 796 - Steph and Bruce as Batman and Robin vs. Zsasz

Batman: Gotham Knights 58 and Batman 633 - Steph's "death", and where you see that Bruce does care, even though he's screwed her up royally.

Robin 174 - Steph's return from the dead, and her reunion with Tim and Bruce

Bruce Wayne - The Road Home: Batgirl - a really nice look through Bruce's history with Steph, with an excellent resolution

Batman Incorporated Special: Leviathan Strikes - A look at the two in action.

The All-New Batman: The Brave and the Bold 13 - all the Robins, including Steph, team up to save Bruce in a spinoff comic from the animated show. Really delightful.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Fantastic Member

Thank you for the recommendations everyone. I had heard good things about Dixon's Nightwing run already, as well as Batman and Robin. I'll definitely look into those.

But I have a question related to the relationships. I've only seen the movie at present but wasn't one reason Jason was so hurt after his resurrection was that Batman didn't avenge him? That was clearly a huge source of pain for Jason in the movie at least. He didn't think Bruce cared enough about him to take Joker's life as payback.

But then I heard that in the comic, when Bruce thought Dick was dead, he immediately grabbed a gun and went after the would-be killer. Is this true?

Would seem to validate some of Jason's feelings of insecurity....

Also this is still just the animated movies, but in Return of the Joker, when Tim was tortured into insanity by Joker, Batman's response was to throw a knife directly at Joker's face. So...poor Jason.
    Last edited by NK1988; 04-29-2017 at 05:38 PM.

I'd say Batgirl vol.2 featuring Cass Cain indulges in how Cass feels about not only Bruce (well, actually how she feels about Batman), but Barbara as well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    I'd say Batgirl vol.2 featuring Cass Cain indulges in how Cass feels about not only Bruce (well, actually how she feels about Batman), but Barbara as well.
    I think you mean Vol. 1 , which was Cass's ongoing solo, where Bruce and Babs appeared A LOT.

Vol. 2 was the crappy Adam Beechen Mini. (Thanks for the adoption, Beechen, but it doesn't make the majority of the story any less bad)

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    I think you mean Vol. 1 , which was Cass's ongoing solo, where Bruce and Babs appeared A LOT.

Vol. 2 was the crappy Adam Beechen Mini. (Thanks for the adoption, Beechen, but it doesn't make the majority of the story any less bad)
    Oops

You're right, vol 1 is it.

Strictly robins and batgirls? Or the Batfamily as a whole? Because the earlier issues of the current (Rebirth) Detective comics had Red Robin and Spoiler developing their relationships with Batman, and the current arc has some Orphan (Cassandra) and Batman stuff.

Otherwise, 'Tec is also great for Batman's relationships with other family members, particularly Batwoman - whom he has a slightly sibling-like relationship with. But the book also currently has Batwing, Clayface, and Azrael and no doubt we'll see more of his relationship with them in the upcoming arcs.

There's some Red Hood stuff from this year which shows Batman and Jason eating burgers together which is nice.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    There's some Red Hood stuff from this year which shows Batman and Jason eating burgers together which is nice.
    I'm gonna be Honest. The New 52 has the best Jason to Batman relationship scenes ever. There is a panel that has 13 year old jason that is sick as a dog and wants to go out on patrol with bruce but Bruce is stern and tells him to stay home and Jason mopes. Only to find out Bruce Ended patrol early to spend time with his sick adopted son and they ate popcorn and watched movies together.

Almost any scene with jason with his time as robin and his relationship with bruce is expanded on in the New 52 and Rebirth its 2 parts heartwarming and 2 parts heartbreaking.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Strictly robins and batgirls? Or the Batfamily as a whole? Because the earlier issues of the current (Rebirth) Detective comics had Red Robin and Spoiler developing their relationships with Batman, and the current arc has some Orphan (Cassandra) and Batman stuff.

Otherwise, 'Tec is also great for Batman's relationships with other family members, particularly Batwoman - whom he has a slightly sibling-like relationship with. But the book also currently has Batwing, Clayface, and Azrael and no doubt we'll see more of his relationship with them in the upcoming arcs.
    I mean, I know it's a big family, although I would include Red Robin and Orphan in the Robins and Batgirls list because that's who they used to be. I didn't mean to exclude anyone just because they changed their alterego/alias.

His relationship with Batwoman though is something I hadn't given much thought, though. Where is that detailed?