Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The BEST and WORST Marvel Legacy Heroes?

With a lot of scorn towards them lately, and seeming upcoming stories focusing more on them. I figured we can try a little something here. Among the ones we have so far, who are the ones on here that are generally liked or accepted, or those who are disliked and unaccepted? It's disappointing that some folks just dismiss ALL OF THEM right off the bat without considering that perhaps maybe there are a few that can work out.

So here we go. For each of you, your best and worst Marvel Legacy Heroes?

I can't say there's any legacy hero I'm not willing to accept or outright dislike, even if I sometimes have my issues with them, and I can't really think of any that are the "worst" ever. Maybe on the villains' side, but that's a whole separate topic.

Maybe some I feel are unnecessary or didn't need to take those codenames, but that's about it.

I guess...Otto Octavius as Spider-Man as one I'm not big on, if only because of the circumstances of how it came about and what he did while he was wearing the suit.

Laura is Best Wolverine.

Robbie Reyes is my favourite Ghost Rider, even if this last volume completely dropped the ball with him.

Ava made for an awesome White Tiger and I hope it doesn't take too long for her to show up somewhere again.

Kamala, obvs.

Kate Bishop is a delightful Hawkeye.

For worst: Does Teen Tony count? That was, uh, not a good story.

Spectacular Member

Ben Reilly. That is the only one I ever disliked.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    For worst: Does Teen Tony count? That was, uh, not a good story.
    He worked better in a cartoon then he did as a comic concept...

The best:

Ms. Marvel. I'd argue she is even a better character now than Carol Danvers herself. I don't see her as a legacy character per se, because she is her own character. She has her own personality, origin story, motivations and power set that are completely different than Carol's, and I very much applaud G. Willow Wilson for going all the way crafting her the way she did.

Jane Thor. Jane is an example of a direct legacy character done right. Her story serves Thor's mythology and it's a piece of the bigger story that Aaron has developing since God of Thunder.

Hawkeye. Part of the original "legacy characters" initiative with Young Avengers, and I'd argue that the most successful one. Having Hawkeye being both Clint and Kate makes sense in a way that making anyone else other than Peter Parker Spider-Man never will.

Sam Wilson Cap. I'd argue that it surprisingly has worked even better than Winter Soldier becoming Cap. With that said, I really wish that after Steve Rogers gets the shield again, Falcon gets his own comic. It's been a long time coming, and I hope Coates get to write him and still keep witing Black Panther.

The meh:

X-23 becoming Wolverine. I fucking adore Laura. I understand that the comic has a very strong following, but I like her own legacy as X-23 better than she as Wolverine. It doesn't make sense to me that she'd become Wolverine, I love Wolverine but he isn't a symbol like Captain America is. He's very much like Spider-Man and work better not being legacy characters.

The worst:

Ben Reilly AND Miles Morales are the worst. Why? Spider-Man doesn't work as a legacy character the way that Batman and Captain America can. Miles Morales is such unfortunate because unlike Ben Reilly, the character has potential to become more than a niche cult following like Ben Reilly. Having two characters with books called Spider-Man just doesn't make sense to me, when they were in separated universes it was understandable, but right now? It feels so contrived and unjustified. I mean, what is even Miles Morales purpose to be Spider-Man? In the Ultimate Universe it's because he feels that Spider-Man would be alive if he acted before. Now in the 616 universe, what he even is? The sole survivor of a dead universe? If he remembers, that's some out of this world traumatizing stuff that should inform the character and clearly it doesn't. If he doesn't remember, what is even his reasoning to use a Spider-Man like costume? Clint and Kate being called Hawkeye works because it was novel and their story got deeply interwined in a way that made sense in Fraction's book. Clint started as a villain and eventually redeemed himself with The Avengers, Kate is a spoiled kid that went int eventually because of the thrills. They are so different from each other that makes it cool. With Peter and Miles is different because Miles just feels like a skin variation of Peter Parker. Nothing on him seems original to me, nothing seems like something that Peter Parker wasn't before. Which brings me to an important point: I hate both Ben Reilly and Miles Morales for the same reasons: they are "legacy" characters that exist to leech on Spider-Man mythos. In Miles case it's even worse, because he acts like a Spider-Man clone with a different skin color and his origin and motivations are even more contrived than Ben Reilly's. Why does he even risk his life if he doesn't have really a good motivation for it? Is it because with great powers come great responsibility? Why you don't just start calling yourself Peter Parker while you are at it. I mean, the best legacy characters add to the mythos, they don't leech on them. It doesn't matter which ethnicity a legacy character is, as long as it serves the mythos. The way I see it, Bendis uses Spider-Man and Peter Parker as a ladder to build on his own character mythos, which is basically Spider-Man's without being Peter Parker. And hey, it worked, didn't it? It's even getting his own animation film feature. But how shallow is a character that it's biggest selling point is that he is Spider-Man but black? How does that serves the Spider-Man mythos? Because while I really wish Miles would get to become his own character, all I can see is yet another Spider-Man clone. And I have my good share of them.
    Last edited by ijacksparrow; 04-17-2017 at 08:29 PM.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

I'm not really as up to date on these things to be able to make too many calls, BUT....

I think Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel is the best and most obvious fit. Nevermind the fact that her solo books have been iffy. That character using that name works. It feels right and like it happened naturally. I hope she remains Captain Marvel for a very very long time and they don't mess with the concept. They just need to figure out a way to get her solo stories to work. She has ties to every corner of the MCU, I can't understand why this has been such a struggle.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    I'm not really as up to date on these things to be able to make too many calls, BUT....

I think Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel is the best and most obvious fit. Nevermind the fact that her solo books have been iffy. That character using that name works. It feels right and like it happened naturally. I hope she remains Captain Marvel for a very very long time and they don't mess with the concept. They just need to figure out a way to get her solo stories to work. She has ties to every corner of the MCU, I can't understand why this has been such a struggle.
    I think Carol Danvers being Captain Marvel works flawlessly in theory. But somehow, Marvel Comics wasn't able so far to give her a distinct voice, something that makes her stand out. When Brian Reed was writing her, I feel like she had more of a personality than she does now. I'm hopeful that Marvel Comics will eventually find her voice, or if Marvel Comics don't, I'm sure Marvel Studios will. Right now, no other character than Carol should be Captain Marvel, because like you've said, she makes sense. But I really need to find something appealing about her. Right now, nothing other than "she is Captain Marvel" I can think of.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

BANNED

Carol Danvers is way better as Ms Marvel than Captain Marvel. And eith the sucess of Kamala Khan as Ms Marvel, Kamala should become the new Captain Marvel while Carol goes back to being Ms Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Carol Danvers is way better as Ms Marvel than Captain Marvel. And eith the sucess of Kamala Khan as Ms Marvel, Kamala should become the new Captain Marvel while Carol goes back to being Ms Marvel.
    Which is crazy. But it's true. The single reason that makes me think Kamala shouldn't be Captain Marvel right now is that she's too young. Carol was a better character when she was a flawed character. People that claim that Rey in The Force Awakens have no idea what they are talking about, even Max Landis. Carol Danvers after becoming Captain Marvel is a Mary Sue. If only she could be Captain Marvel and still keep the sense of cool she had when she was Ms. Marvel, it'd be much much better.
    Pull list:

Captain in your name implies an importance and force of personality that I don't think Kamala has. She's far too energetic for starters and to much of a rookie as well.

Let Kamala stay Ms. Marvel. If Carol needs a new identity, let her be Warbird again.

You could also bring back Genis-Vel and Rick. I think those were the most entertaining characters to ever use the Captain Marvel name.

As for legacy characters ... marvel doesn't do legacy that well. It works in DC because that's how they set things up. People were inspired by the older heroes, also, they started off where powers defined the characters. Marvel the costume was always balanced better with the person in the suit.

With that said, the best legacy character Marvel has ever had was Human Torch. It might be the only one that really worked.

I never really see the characters as Legacy etc, which is why I suppose I am so open to them. The costume and superhero name is just one aspect of them, an important one yes, but in the end they are characters who should be judged by there own merits, and not solely because they took someones place/are a tribute. I mean, Carol Danvers is my third favorite comic character because she is Carol Danvers, not because she is the new Captain Marvel. I dislike Cho not because his a Hulk, but because I just dislike him (Frankly the fact he is now a Hulk is the best thing about him!).

That said, I do like lists so I will rattle off a few...

Jane-Thor: - I feel that her introduction was a bit flawed, mostly due to the fact we have 8+ issues of "Who is she!?" rather then exploring her character etc. That said, Aaron has done an amazing job exploring Jane-Thor in Mighty.

Laura: - I have loved Laura ever since I first started reading X-Men, and I would personally say All-New Wolverine is her best book. Its done a fantastic job exploring her character, what it means to be Wolverine, and braking free of the chains of her past.

Sam-Cap: - My favorite Captain America (Not just because he has wings and can talk to birds... but that is a big part), and probably the best example of a Legacy hero. His book shows how a character can have a different view then the originals about the symble they are inheriting.

Kate: - She rocks. Do not really need to say any more. Well, apart from the fact that I think one of the reasons she rocks is the relationship she has with Clint. There is a real sens of partnership and connection between them, even if half the time they seem to hate each other.

Riri: - Its early to say much about her, but I like her. She is a good character, and teaming her up with a Tony A.I was a stroke of genius. I suppose my one complaint is that they really messed up how they introduced her in Invincible Iron-Man. Perhaps its just me, but she should have been a bigger part of that book.

Kamala: - Such a good, well-rounded character! She really deserves to be the pin up for Legacy characters.

As for the rest, well, Robbie Reyes I have not read anything in so I cannot comment. Nova I only know from event books/Champions, and his alright I guess. Miles is alright, but in a bit too 'average' for my liking. I much prefer Spider-Gwen as a Spidy Legacy, as her book has been outstanding. As for Cho... yeah, his an arrogant, big headed sod who has less charm then a slug with acne.

Random question, do characters like She-Hulk and Spider-Woman count as Legacy? Because Jennifer Walters is my favorite comic book character of all time, and Jessica Drew is in my top 5 so...
    Last edited by Valamist; 04-17-2017 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    With that said, the best legacy character Marvel has ever had was Human Torch. It might be the only one that really worked.
    /thread

No legacy character is going to compare to what the second Human Torch accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Captain in your name implies an importance and force of personality that I don't think Kamala has. She's far too energetic for starters and to much of a rookie as well.

Let Kamala stay Ms. Marvel. If Carol needs a new identity, let her be Warbird again.

You could also bring back Genis-Vel and Rick. I think those were the most entertaining characters to ever use the Captain Marvel name.

As for legacy characters ... marvel doesn't do legacy that well. It works in DC because that's how they set things up. People were inspired by the older heroes, also, they started off where powers defined the characters. Marvel the costume was always balanced better with the person in the suit.

Nah. I liked Genis-Vel and Marvell but let them stay dead. I agree that Kamala is a rookie and too young, but it's kinda sad that's the only reason why she shouldn't take over as Captain Marvel atm. I mean, I really love Brie Larson and I think she'll do a killer job as Captain Marvel. I just hope she finds a way to redefine who the character is very much like RDJ did, since Marvel Comics seem completely clueless on how to make her work. I want to like Carol as Captain Marvel. I love that concept in theory. But it's just not working out, even tho I've heard good things about her latest reboot.
    Pull list:

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    I never really see the characters as Legacy etc, which is why I suppose I am so open to them. The costume and superhero name is just one aspect of them, an important one yes, but in the end they are characters who should be judged by there own merits, and not solely because they took someones place/are a tribute. I mean, Carol Danvers is my third favorite comic character because she is Carol Danvers, not because she is the new Captain Marvel. I dislike Cho not because his a Hulk, but because I just dislike him (Frankly the fact he is now a Hulk is the best thing about him!).
    I think this really sums up why I was so slow to come around to the idea of Marvel replacing characters. To your point, Batman is Batman. Bruce Wayne is just an aspect of what Batman is. Wolverine, on the other hand, is James "Logan" Howlett. Bruce Banner is the Hulk. The character behind the "mask" has always been what separated Marvel from DC for me, so when other characters start taking over those names it didn't immediately feel like something that SHOULD happen. How can there ever be a Wolverine without Logan? I admit that from what I've read so far Laura Kinney is a good stand in until Logan comes back, but I thought she was interesting already as X-23. Same with Sam Wilson become Captain America. To me, Steve Rogers is Cap. Everyone else that has ever tossed that shield was a place holder until the real guy came back.

I think in a lot of ways Marvel has turned their strength into a weakness in recent years, but I'm coming around to the idea now.