Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

As much as I love Pre- Crisis Superman, Byrne truly breathed life into the character. That, the FF, & Iron Fist are my favorite rums. I have to admit the only time I followed the X-Men as a kid was when Byrne was in it.

He did a number of issues of Marvel Two in One that I love. The Byrne / Sinnott version of the Thing is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Yeah as I understand it the cancelling of that book is what lead to him leaving Marvel. I don't even think the sales for the book were low.
    It sure wasn't. Quesada wanted to clean house, and Byrne was the last remanent of "old Marvel". He than came up that it was too confusing for readers to have books passing themselves in two different eras. Of course, nobody is confused with having the O5 running aroubnd with their grown counterparts in Bendis' books. That is what we in the biz call... BULL!
    Also loved the Lost Generation maxi-series with Stern. I wish they'd put it out in TPB, for I'm missing a couple of issues.

Peace

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bob fett View Post
    His Superman did it for me.I just wish this was collected in an Omnibus already.
    Well, counting all his Superman books of that period, that omnibus would be...75 issues? 81 counting the 6 issue Legends mini he pencilled. 93 counting Wolfmans Adventures run.

All-New Member

For me it's his X-men and FF runs followed by Iron fist and Marvel Team Up.
    Never really cared for Alpha Flight.

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    Captain America
    His Captain America with Roger Stern was fanatastic.

Sandy Hausler

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    It sure wasn't. Quesada wanted to clean house, and Byrne was the last remanent of "old Marvel". He than came up that it was too confusing for readers to have books passing themselves in two different eras. Of course, nobody is confused with having the O5 running aroubnd with their grown counterparts in Bendis' books. That is what we in the biz call... BULL!
    Also loved the Lost Generation maxi-series with Stern. I wish they'd put it out in TPB, for I'm missing a couple of issues.

Peace
    Yeah Quesada. I mean an editor who sees a good product that sells too and cancels it. Who wouldn't want to work at a place like that.

Byrne's Superman work was what got me collecting comics back when I was ten or eleven years old. I'd read comics prior to that point, but they usually wound up thrown away or given to other kids. But that issue with the Silver Banshee on the cover, boasting about killing Superman as his "ghost" flies in behind her? Couldn't let that go. And though I now prefer the pre-Crisis Superman (or the All-Star Superman), I have to say that I recently re-read the parts of his run that have been collected, and I thought they held up pretty well.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

FF, WCA, Alpha Flight, Namor, Superman, She-Hulk and Hulk.

I loved his Batman/Capt America crossover. I thought Byrne did great Golden Age stories & wanted a JSA/Invaders crossover by him.

The JSA story during his Wonder Woman run was good.

His Namor was superb.

Also liked his Generations series at DC.
    Last edited by md62; 05-06-2014 at 12:59 PM.

Fantastic Member

Any one read his first comic The Death's Head Knight by aca back in 1971 ? I enjoyed it .

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Keyt View Post
    Any one read his first comic The Death's Head Knight by aca back in 1971 ? I enjoyed it .
    I never heard of it till now. I just found out about this one too.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    His Captain America with Roger Stern was fanatastic.

Sandy Hausler
    Yeah, it truly was. I think it may be my second favorite Cap run after Steranko's three parter.

Fantastic Four. It was fantastic.
    Last edited by AGH; 12-22-2017 at 07:22 PM.

Astonishing Member

What does everyone think of that Action Comics 600 where George Perez inked Byrne's pencils? I know Perez's inks were a bit strong but I loved seeing my two favorite artists of all time getting together. I wished they could have done more pencil/ink work on various issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    And no love for Next Men?

I also loved his first year on Alpha Flight.

Sandy Hausler
    Are you kidding?! I mentioned them on Page 1!

Agreed on Year One AF, although the 2nd year held much quality, too!