Astonishing Member

Default Franco-Belgian comic reccomendations.

Lately I've been on something of a Franco-Belgian comics kick. Probably because that new Smurfs movie came out. Anyway, I've been looking to try a few more but they're a little hard to find in stores, so I thought I'd better choose carefully. Hence my looking for recommendations.

A little background. The characters from the European comics scene that I know of are: The Smurfs, Tintin, Asterix, Lucky Luke and Marsupilami. Most of the Euro comics I already have are Smurfs (the Papercutz volumes were easy to find when the Smurfs movies were coming out). But I also have the "Red Rackham's Treasure" storyline from Tintin. Also, I have an Asterix album and a Lucky Luke album around here somewhere.

So, what series and storylines should I try?

I've read some Franco-Belgian comics as a kid. We had a large section of them in our library and I would spend hours after class just reading through them.
    My favorites were:
    Valerian et Laureline (sci-fi adventure through space and time) Luc Besson is publishing Valerian the movie this year.
    Asterix et Obelix (the adventures of crazy strong Gauls against the Roman empire)
    Les Cités obscures (Very architectural, steampunkish fantasy graphic-novel)
    Yoko Tsuno (sci-fi adventure)
    Anything by Moebius. (Jean Giraud) I myself have The World of Edena. Sci-fi book. The color use and the use of space in the art is freaking amazing, even tho the world has strong '70s vibe to it.
    Spirou et Fantasio (a humorous adventures of two journalists, much like Tintin )

Humanoids and Cinebook publish a load of great Euro-comic translations. Worth checking out their catalogs.

Lanfeust de Troy is a cool book.

Wiki page : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanfeust_of_Troy

It's mainly fantasy with a lot of humor.

There is also a spin-off series called Trolls of Troy.

More centered on comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    It is called bande dessinée, not comic book. Franco-Belgians say bandes dessinées, not comics.
    https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bande_dessinée

The French and Belgians don't call American comics "bandes dessinées". They call it "comics"
    https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_book

Italians have comic books called fumetti, but they don't say American comics are also fumetti. They simply call American comic books "comics".

Koreans have manhwa. Chinese have manhua. Japanese have manga.
    Dude, seriously? It's all just comics.

Astonishing Member

Then we also should have called manga "Japanese comics"
    Interestingly, in Japan, the word "manga" refers to all comics. And in America, the word "fumetti" means a photo comic.

Anyway folks, thanks for the recommendations.

Then we also should have called manga "Japanese comics"
    you can.
    Manga is a very broad term with many subcategories such as Shonen, shojo, josei, seinen, seijin... depending of the audience.
    Saying manga just means japanese comics.

Anyway, if you can read more Asterix or Tintin if you liked it.

Fantasy Flight publishing translated four volumes of The Legends of Percevan. I really enjoyed these. Its a shame they didn't sell very well.