Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Default Thread Drift: Should Spider-Man Get Older?

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Given that they have (and are) creating materials that utilizes the marriage (and the idea of Peter Parker and Mary Jane being the Clark Kent and Lois Lane of the Spider-Man franchise still being the norm overall when looking at the franchise and mythos as a whole), the policy seems to boil down to "it cannot happen in this one specific comic." Not sure how useful that is in the grand scheme of things, but that's me.
    The real spirit of the rule is that they aren't allowed to age the 616 character, not ban the relationship.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    The real spirit of the rule is that they aren't allowed to age the 616 character, not ban the relationship.
    This "rule" is illogical...it cannot be maintained without the title becoming stale and stagnant over time. It is a "rule" that must be dropped sooner or later. It didn't make sense then {with OMD} and it sure doesn't make any sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    This "rule" is illogical...it cannot be maintained without the title becoming stale and stagnant over time. It is a "rule" that must be dropped sooner or later. It didn't make sense then {with OMD} and it sure doesn't make any sense no
    w.
    Fiction is illogical dude.

BANNED

Fiction is illogical dude.
    There is a difference between good fiction and bad fiction. And why is it that comic books are the only form of fiction that utilize stupid "rules" on fiction such as "no-aging" of the character?You don't see novels,movies and other forms of entertainment obeying such nonsensical "rules" such as "no-aging".

There is a difference between good fiction and bad fiction. And why is it that comic books are the only form of fiction that utilize stupid "rules" on fiction such as "no-aging" of the character?You don't see novels,movies and other forms of entertainment obeying such nonsensical "rules" such as "no-aging".
    Novels and movies are an apples to oranges comparison. Don't really tell me you can't think of the difference between the actors and characters in live action movies compared to comic books, think about it for a bit. Good night.

It didn't make sense then {with OMD} and it sure doesn't make any sense now.
    But it made sense before OMD?

You don't see novels,movies and other forms of entertainment obeying such nonsensical "rules" such as "no-aging".
    James Bond.

BANNED

Novels and movies are an apples to oranges comparison. Don't really tell me you can't think of the difference between the actors and characters in live action movies compared to comic books, think about it for a bit. Good night.
    Last time I checked there was no actors in novels...you failed to explain how that relates to the "no-aging" rule.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    But it made sense before OMD?

James Bond.
    James Bond? Not necessarily...especially if progression is meant to age the character.
    He does marry one of his Bond Girls in the novel “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service”, but she is killed on their wedding day and Bond is left devastated. This set the scene for him to get revenge in the following novel.
    In some of the short stories, that were written by another author, but are part of the Bond world, Bond has a son. He has the baby with Kissy Suzuki but the child is hardly mentioned until another story where he makes contact with Bond shortly before being murdered.
    It's not that James Bond doesn't age...we are simply not told his age or when he does age...but yet we have character progression in the stories which shows the passage of time with events happening in his life that results in the aging of his character.

James Bond? Not necessarily...especially if progression is meant to age the character.
    He does marry one of his Bond Girls in the novel “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service”, but she is killed on their wedding day and Bond is left devastated. This set the scene for him to get revenge in the following novel.
    In some of the short stories, that were written by another author, but are part of the Bond world, Bond has a son. He has the baby with Kissy Suzuki but the child is hardly mentioned until another story where he makes contact with Bond shortly before being murdered.
    It's not that James Bond doesn't age...we are simply not told his age or when he does age...but yet we have character progression in the stories which shows the passage of time with events happening in his life that results in the aging of his character.

That's almost exactly how the Marvel Universe works. I'm not quite sure how you're having a problem not grasping this.

BANNED

That's almost exactly how the Marvel Universe works. I'm not quite sure how you're having a problem not grasping this.
    Before OMD there was progression,there was the passage of time...it just went by a lot slower. With BND all progression and the passage of time has been pretty much stalled and halted for "reasons".

Before OMD there was progression,there was the passage of time...it just went by a lot slower. With BND all progression and the passage of time has been pretty much stalled and halted for "reasons".
    Not at all. The passage of time is the same as it's ever been. Sometimes it goes faster, sometimes slower, but it always goes back to status qou (more or less.) You just don't like the stories anymore. Don't try to say it's anything else because it's not.

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

The only comic book character I know of where there is a set rate of aging is called Judge Dredd. Otherwise, Peter Parker's age is arbitrary to whatever the guys at Marvel say it is. He had close to two years of issues in High School, way more than that in college, and if they had known that he wouldn't fail to sell as a character years ago, which is something that they didn't know in the business climate at the time, they would have kept him in high school or at least in college. The main driver for aging him was that they didn't know how long he would last as a character who sold merchandise and comic books back when he started. They have slowed it down for him. 616 Peter Parker tells one story, the other universes tell others. Look, I know everybody has said this probably at least once, but it's easily the best option to just go support Renew Your Vows if him being older and married is your genuine on/off factor to him as a character.
    Currently Following: Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight 3, Flash, Amazing Spider-Man, Multiversity, Spider-Man, X-Men

BRING BACK THE OLD WOLVERINE!!!

Not at all. The passage of time is the same as it's ever been. Sometimes it goes faster, sometimes slower, but it always goes back to status qou (more or less.) You just don't like the stories anymore. Don't try to say it's anything else because it's not.
    I think that's the idea behind "the illusion of change" that allows comics to go on never ending narratives forever with characters being in more or less the same place throughout. I think one of the problems for OMD is that it was so forced, regressing and retconny that it kinda threw wrench into that illusion for many people, if that makes sense. At least that's how I kinda felt about it.
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 04-16-2017 at 12:24 AM.

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    I think that's the idea behind "the illusion of change" that allows comics to go on never ending narratives forever with characters being in more or less the same place throughout. I think one of the problems for OMD is that it was so forced, regressing and retconny that it kinda threw wrench into that illusion for many people, if that makes sense. At least that's how I kinda felt about it.
    I know what you're saying, I mean suddenly in BND people could actually save Aunt May, it treated the past as an illusion.
    Currently Following: Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight 3, Flash, Amazing Spider-Man, Multiversity, Spider-Man, X-Men

BRING BACK THE OLD WOLVERINE!!!

Have you ever watched the Simpsons?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets