Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Honestly you call the family domestic life feeling like fan fiction but in truthfully the dashing hero kissing the princess has a way more fan fiction feel. Superman has always been a job it's what he does because he wants to help people. But Superman has always been portrayed as a man who prefers his down time working at the planet and hanging with Lois and Jimmy. His greatest desire has always been portrayed as having a family. He's been single most of his history and during which there has been very few relationships when considering the time Lois, Lana, Diana, Lori Lemaris, Sally Selwyn, Luma Lynai, or Lyla and outside of Lois, Lana, and Diana those other relationships rarely lasted longer than a single issue.
    And that's the problem. Being Superman isn't a job for him it shouldn't be. He should enjoy being Superman. It shouldn't be a chore he is relieve from to hang out with Lois and Jimmy. Superman wanting to be a normal guy is a cliche. A forced attempt at complexity. An attempt at justifying relationship that just won't work long term because it will inevitably grow stale. The universe is so vast and he has complete access to every corner of it but you want me to believe that he rather spend the evening working in the farm, doing the ditches or watching Lois do the laundry? If I had my way Lois would have married someone else. Clark would have allowed her to get on with her life while he explored the universe and helped people.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Honestly I prefer a Superman that can both be a husband and father on one page and on the next be wrestling demonic angels on Saturn 3000 years in the past to prevent an alien Armada from imploding earth. He can be both. It's that writers lack vision.

Let's face it, the last 5 years where he was young and mostly single didn't give us far out sci Fi adventures either for the most part.
    I would prefer Superman as a husband and father if they child was adopted and human or some other alien species instead of a hybrid kryptonian human. Hell, I rather have Superman in an arranged marriage with Maxima in order to prevent an intergalactic war. At least it wouldn't be as mundane.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Spectacular Member

As Teri Hatcher once said at Craig Ferguson's: the Superman story is not about punching people and showing how much of a badass he can be... Superman is all about ONE BIG BEAUTIFUL LOVE STORY.
    And THAT love story is between a guy from another galaxy (loving his adoptive land and people) and his twin soul from planet earth.
    So that love not only transcends races, age, colour... but it actually transcends GALAXIES, and it does that THROUGH LOIS AND CLARK.

Anyone who doesn't like that? He's not a true Superman fan to me, because he can't see what he has always inspired to people.
    Anyone who just likes a muscled guy being a badass... well, he can go to Wolverine's.

And that's a fact... that's a fact!
    Last edited by AntoKent17; 04-23-2017 at 06:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    And that's the problem. Being Superman isn't a job for him it shouldn't be. He should enjoy being Superman. It shouldn't be a chore he is relieve from to hang out with Lois and Jimmy. Superman wanting to be a normal guy is a cliche. A forced attempt at complexity. An attempt at justifying relationship that just won't work long term because it will inevitably grow stale. The universe is so vast and he has complete access to every corner of it but you want me to believe that he rather spend the evening working in the farm, doing the ditches or watching Lois do the laundry? If I had my way Lois would have married someone else. Clark would have allowed her to get on with her life while he explored the universe and helped people.
    The marriage has not and never has stopped him from helping people. Superman bring a job does not mean he does not enjoy it. In the end, this just comes down to you not liking Lois. And that's fine. But she has not and never has been a detriment to him being a hero.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The marriage has not and never has stopped him from helping people. Superman bring a job does not mean he does not enjoy it. In the end, this just comes down to you not liking Lois. And that's fine. But she has not and never has been a detriment to him being a hero.
    Amen.................

BANNED

If I had my way Lois would have married someone else. Clark would have allowed her to get on with her life while he explored the universe and helped people.
    Didio and Lee were doing things your way, they had Lois get engaged to Carrol, Clark let her go, and let himself get used by Wonder Woman.

Guess what didn't stick?

Yes I do believe, because its been portrayed as what Superman wants since pretty much the beginning and it's also why the secret identity works when people mock the glasses. Your argument against his domestic life sounds like a Lex Luthor argument if Lex had his powers he'd use them to explore the universe and other activities but he'd never settle on a farm with a wife and kid because if you had those powers why would you? Because at the end of a day Superman wants what he lost a family and home.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Didio and Lee were doing things your way, they had Lois get engaged to Carrol, Clark let her go, and let himself get used by Wonder Woman.

Guess what didn't stick?
    I don't think Carrol ever got engaged to Lois. He was barely even around. I think he had, what, 5 combined appearances?
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

BANNED

I don't think Carrol ever got engaged to Lois. He was barely even around. I think he had, what, 5 combined appearances?
    You're right, they moved in together, but I may have misremembered the engagement thing.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AntoKent17 View Post
    As Teri Hatcher once said at Craig Ferguson's: the Superman story is not about punching people and showing how much of a badass he can be... Superman is all about ONE BIG BEAUTIFUL LOVE STORY.
    And THAT love story is between a guy from another galaxy (loving his adoptive land and people) and his twin soul from planet earth.
    So that love not only transcends races, age, colour... but it actually transcends GALAXIES, and it does that THROUGH LOIS AND CLARK.

Anyone who doesn't like that? He's not a true Superman fan to me, because he can't see what he has always inspired to people.
    Anyone who just likes a muscled guy being a badass... well, he can go to Wolverine's.

And that's a fact... that's a fact!
    I wouldn't go as far as say someone of that mindset isn't a " true fan" , Because frankly the true fan stuff is bullcrap. However, I would say that perhaps their perception of Superman is skewed a certain way that doesn't completely Jibe with precident
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    You're right, they moved in together, but I may have misremembered the engagement thing.
    When 'Superwoman' was about to come out, some people were saying Jimenez had mentioned addressing Lois Lane's engagement to Jonathan Carrol in the book, but when I went looking for where Jimenez had said this, I couldn't find anything.

That might be why you thought they were engaged.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    When 'Superwoman' was about to come out, some people were saying Jimenez had mentioned addressing Lois Lane's engagement to Jonathan Carrol in the book, but when I went looking for where Jimenez had said this, I couldn't find anything.

That might be why you thought they were engaged.
    Yeah, I think a Bleeding Cool article on Superwoman made mention of it, but that might have been Rich just being Rich

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I wouldn't go as far as say someone of that mindset isn't a " true fan" , Because frankly the true fan stuff is bullcrap. However, I would say that perhaps their perception of Superman is skewed a certain way that doesn't completely Jibe with precident
    It's the 50+ years of a single Superman that influence most people's view of what suit most the character.

superman 182.jpg

#bringbacktherealsuperman

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 04-23-2017 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    It's the 50+ years of a single Superman that influence most people's view of what suit most the character.

superman 182.jpg

#bringbacktherealsuperman

His relationship with Lois is also an element to the character most recognise I mean she predates almost all the mythos even Krypton and both his set of parents were nameless when Lois was introduced and set up as a potential love interest.

BANNED

I would prefer Superman as a husband and father if they child was adopted and human or some other alien species instead of a hybrid kryptonian human. Hell, I rather have Superman in an arranged marriage with Maxima in order to prevent an intergalactic war. At least it wouldn't be as mundane.
    Heh. Mundane FITS Superman. He >IS< truth, justice and the American way...and "mundane" wife and kids is part and parcel of that.

If he's the best of what humanity can be, what we aspire to, a loving relationship absolutely has to be a part of that for me.