Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I don't remember Tandy's powers giving her visions of people's feeling.
    It's a bit deeper than that.

Tandy seems people's hopes (barring random narratively driven flashbacks), while Tyrone sees people's fears.

They do undercut this motiff quite a bit by pushing flashbacks that don't fit the theme of Hope or Fear.

Tandy sees the Hopes of her family and of her boyfriend, gets scared and runs away.

Tyrone sees the fears of his mother, that both of her children will die.

And then for the sake of the narrative we see randomly flashbacks that don't fit either of those 2 concepts.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    1 was interesting. 2 dragged. Get them into full gear quickly and stop futzing around. Move the angst back a bit and get the team rocking. Don't spend tons of time with the past though with a plot line of revenge that stretches through the season.
    I don't think it would be Cloak & Dagger without a ton of angst, and they should never be "rocking." Tyrone and Tandy don't ever "rock." They're always struggling and staggering.

Except for the origin scenes, I thought 1 dragged and 2 got better.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I liked this a lot. While I still devour all of the comic-based films, I've become burned out by the mass amounts of comic-based TV available. I went in cynical and came out a believer. I thought, overall, the show looked really slick. I'm a lapsed Catholic who still is drawn to that aesthetic, so I really enjoyed how the show used religious themes and imagery. I thought the entire cast, supporting cast included, were solid. The first two episodes correctly featured Ty and Tandy prominently, but I thought we got enough of the background players to be interested -- Ty's priest mentor and mother, the silent detective.

Really excited to see where this show goes.

I liked the first two episodes overall. I think both Cloak and Dagger have been portrayed well by their respective actors. I don't mind the setting being in New Orleans either. This feels a lot like the "The Runaways" in that I can sorta see it being in the MCU if that's what they wanted to do, or it can be its own thing. I expected teen angst so I'm not surprised by any of it and think it was handled well. Both Tandy and Ty are going thru a lot right now, especially Tandy. I will say that I'm still somewhat confused on who or what the main antagonist is supposed to be. After 2 episodes, I thought it would have been somewhat more clear. I look forward to seeing more episodes and I hope this series turns out to be a hit.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I don't think there will be an antagonist at least not for this season. Tandy and Tyrone need to resolve their personal hangups and learn how their powers work first.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I don't think there will be an antagonist at least not for this season. Tandy and Tyrone need to resolve their personal hangups and learn how their powers work first.
    That should be interesting. Rather than an actual physical antagonist, they will instead have to overcome some emotional and conceptual challenges instead.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

So far, so good.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    That should be interesting. Rather than an actual physical antagonist, they will instead have to overcome some emotional and conceptual challenges instead.
    With most modern dramas, the emotional challenges need to be overcome before the protagonist(s) is(are) ready to confront (and obligatorily defeat) the physical opponent.

Ty definitely seems to have an antagonist in the cop who killed his brother. And Tandy might have that rich boy gunning for her. (not to mention the detective) I would hope that Roxxon becomes the ultimate Big Bad in the show.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-13-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

So yeah, this show is a bit crap.

3rd episode in and it's already all filler. Why fake out the end of the last episode with them meeting again just to undo and then end this episode with them meeting again.

It's so lazy and strung out, and worse attempts to make it seem like it's artsy or well written when it's not. if you don't have enough story for a show, don't make the show.

I wonder if they're setting up Mayhem with the detective?

I hope they use the Maggia sydicate and Silvermane at some point.

Other than that, I don't recall much other villains other than Spidey's foes they've fought.

Maybe between street thugs they can tangle with Maggia crime bosses (Silvermane, Hammerhead, Count Nefaria, Nobili, maybe borrow Bushmaster if he survives Luke Cage, or tie the Pride in to them for a Runaways crossover) and Roxxon-hired agents.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 06-15-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I wonder if they're setting up Mayhem with the detective?

I hope they use the Maggia sydicate and Silvermane at some point.

Other than that, I don't recall much other villains other than Spidey's foes they've fought.

Maybe between street thugs they can tangle with Maggia crime bosses (Silvermane, Hammerhead, Count Nefaria, Nobili, maybe borrow Bushmaster if he survives Luke Cage, or tie the Pride in to them for a Runaways crossover) and Roxxon-hired agents.
    I'm hoping they use Silvermane and Hammerhead in the Black Cat Silver Sable movie.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Fantastic Member

I was a big fan of the Cloak & Dagger Marvel comic characters back in the day, and felt they were very edgy & relevant at that time; I was a pre-teen when I read the comic with their first appearance (PPTSSM), and found it extremely moving, disturbing, and also horrific. Growing up back in the '80's, the "Just say No" movement (especially in schools at the time) was everywhere. There was definitely a drug epidemic among school-age kids, and these C & D stories reflected this - all while not being at all preachy. I did try to follow the characters in the '80's, primarily the original 4-issue mini-series & their PPTSSM appearances. And, in the 200X's I ended up buying all of their classic collections.

So, when I first heard about a forthcoming Cloak & Dagger show last year, I wasn't too happy with the news since I felt a TV series would just screw up the whole mythology/characters.

However, with cautious optimism I decided to give the two-part premiere a chance, so I did see it last week. And...I thought it was fantastic! They completely changed the origin, updated the characters, and changed the setting from NYC to NO....but, it all worked well. And, I felt the show still remained "true" to the spirit of the original story, i.e. two teens from completely different backgrounds coming together due to their "shared" powers.

I found it interesting that Dagger's "light" knives actually can kill people/penetrate skin. In the original comic, they just made people "cold" and I guess they could kill if Dagger threw enough of them at someone, but weren't as damaging as seen on the show. However, I'm fine with this update, as I am with all of the modifications in the show vs. the original comic.

Also nice to see Gloria Reuben as Cloak's mother; she's an excellent actress. I mainly remember her playing a doctor on the iconic medical series ER, back in the 200X's.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    With most modern dramas, the emotional challenges need to be overcome before the protagonist(s) is(are) ready to confront (and obligatorily defeat) the physical opponent.

Ty definitely seems to have an antagonist in the cop who killed his brother. And Tandy might have that rich boy gunning for her. (not to mention the detective) I would hope that Roxxon becomes the ultimate Big Bad in the show.
    Surely there'll be some Roxxon coming into play considering how often their logo comes into view. It would be a huge waste of scenery/digital effects if that doesn't end up being a Checkov's gun.
    Live true or lie well.

I watched all three episodes and found them all slow and maybe less than average. I'll give it a few more tries though. TV is really slow now or I might have dropped it already.

It's ok so far but I'm not sure I'm sold yet. That's said the scene of Tye on the roof with the sheet got me. Doubt he ever fully becomes anything like comic cloak though. Like what they are doing with the characters on the personal side.