Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member primenumber101's Avatar

Default Any writers you guys want to see take on Spider-Man in future?

OK, so what I'm saying is, sooner or later, Dan Slott will eventually have to step down from the Spider-Man writer and pass the title to the other writer.
    So I was wondering is there any particular writer, either veteran or new writer, to see their take on Spider-man? I know Zdarsky is taking on
    new Spectacular Spider-Man comics so I was wondering what types of writers could handle Spider-Man well in future.

I'd like to see someone like G. Willow Wilson or Matt Fraction take a crack at it (I loved Fraction's Invincible Iron Man Five Nightmares arc; Spidey featured in the coda).
    Co-host of Ultimate Spin - the Spider-Fan podcast for Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen!
    And check out our in-depth podcast interviews with their creators!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Project37 View Post
    I'd like to see someone like G. Willow Wilson or Matt Fraction take a crack at it (I loved Fraction's Invincible Iron Man Five Nightmares arc; Spidey featured in the coda).
    And Fraction wrote a pretty good one-off issue, "To Have and to Hold," that expressed very well just how much Peter and Mary Jane mattered to each other, so I'd be willing to have him come back to Marvel to do Spidey. At least so long as he doesn't do what he did with Clint Barton and make him a total hard-luck case who gets no respect from anyone. Hmm, considering he and Chip Zdarsky collaborate on Sex Criminals, I could see them working together on Amazing Spider-Man as well if Zdarsky does well enough with the relaunch of Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man.

Oh, and considering Ta-Nehisi Coates's professed love and admiration for Peter's marriage to Mary Jane (seriously, there's an actual article in The Atlantic about it, I'll even link it for you guys), I'd love to see him work on Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows in the event Gerry Conway and Ryan Stegman step down. Al Ewing is another guy I think would do great with Spider-Man, given that scene of him in Captain America and the Mighty Avengers #3 during the AXIS event where he caught Captain America's shield and shamed the Inverted Avengers into temporarily backing down when they tried to shut down the Mighty Avengers.

Spider-Man in Love. The article I was talking about before.
    Last edited by Huntsman Spider; 04-19-2017 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Had to remember to insert the link I mentioned before.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Gerry Duggan, Geoff Johns, David Walker, Tim Seeley, Joshua Williamson, Gail Simone...

Spectacular Member Fearless Heart's Avatar

Man, I'd love to read a Geoff Johns Spider-man.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Gerry Duggan, Geoff Johns, David Walker, Tim Seeley, Joshua Williamson, Gail Simone...
    Gail Simone would be great, too, and given her affinity for fiery redheads (and being one herself), I could see her find a way to bring Mary Jane back into the web of Spider-Man. David Walker would be pretty cool, and I could see him on a Spider-Men ongoing teaming up Peter Parker and Miles Morales. Gerry Duggan sounds like he has promise, even if he had to write Spider-Man out of Uncanny Avengers right away (he made up for it with Spidey coming back in the confrontation with Red Skull), and I'd love to see him write Spider-Man 2099 meeting Deadpool 2099. (I'd add "co-written by Peter David," but this thread's supposed to be about writers who haven't tackled Spidey yet.) From their work on Nightwing/Grayson and The Flash respectively, I could see Tim Seeley and Joshua Williamson doing well with Spider-Man, but you'd have to get them away from DC first.

Greg Weismann. He ran a tight ship on the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon and has comic-writing experience.

Dan Slott. Forever.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

Nick Spencer would be an excellent fit. I'd love to see Bendis properly take on 616 Spider-Man at some point (surely it has to happen).

He isn't the most natural choice but I'd be curious to see what Ed Brubaker's take on the character and his world would be.

BANNED

I like the idea of a female writer

Ideally, Gail Simone since she's expressed interest in writing for MJ

Nick Spencer. I think his mixture of great long-term narrative and humor would be a great fit; I know a lot of people dislike his political leanings but I don't see that overwhelming the pages of a Spidey comic the way it naturally does in a title like Captain America. Other candidates: Mark Waid (time for him to have a full time gig on this book) or Dennis Hopeless.

Spectacular Member AmazingFantasy's Avatar

Christos Gage or Christopher Yost. They already have experience, I enjoyed what they've done with Spidey whenever they did use him, plus they're great writers in general IMO. I'd love to see what ideas they'd have for the book.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Christos Gage, Christopher Yost, Gerry Duggan, maybe Al Ewing, maybe Willow G. Wilson and Brian Michael Bendis are my shortlist for now.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Greg Weismann. He ran a tight ship on the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon and has comic-writing experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTait View Post
    Nick Spencer would be an excellent fit. I'd love to see Bendis properly take on 616 Spider-Man at some point (surely it has to happen).

He isn't the most natural choice but I'd be curious to see what Ed Brubaker's take on the character and his world would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Nick Spencer. I think his mixture of great long-term narrative and humor would be a great fit; I know a lot of people dislike his political leanings but I don't see that overwhelming the pages of a Spidey comic the way it naturally does in a title like Captain America. Other candidates: Mark Waid (time for him to have a full time gig on this book) or Dennis Hopeless.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazingFantasy View Post
    Christos Gage or Christopher Yost. They already have experience, I enjoyed what they've done with Spidey whenever they did use him, plus they're great writers in general IMO. I'd love to see what ideas they'd have for the book.
    I agree with all of those, but my favorites would be Nick Spencer, as Spider-Man does fit in the vein of hard-luck heroes who (try to) persevere and uphold their moral convictions in spite of their own flaws and the lack of support and respect they get from others in their lives, and Chris Yost for his work on Kaine Parker in Scarlet Spider and New Warriors. Ed Brubaker would be great, too, and I could see him taking Spider-Man back into battles with organized crime in New York, and if Parker Industries is kept, perhaps setting it as a rival to Wilson Fisk's "legitimate businesses" and giving Peter the opportunity to take him on in the boardroom as well as on the streets. Dennis Hopeless, I could see taking up where Gerry Conway and Ryan Stegman will eventually leave off (as much as I like them both, I can't realistically see them staying on indefinitely) in Renew Your Vows, given his own experience with parenthood and being able to write to that with Spider-Woman.

BANNED

I would like Dan to write Spidey indefinitely but i know that all things must end and if eventually Dan decides to leave Spidey then i would cut my veins if Scott Snyder would take the helm!
    Imagine a ala Court of the Owls saga for Spidey!