Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Kilowog.jpg My Favorite

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    I would kill to have Katma Tui back.
    YESSSSSSSS. She shouldn't have died in the first place. That story was terrible and I expected better from Christopher Priest (I think he wrote that one or was it Peter David?)

Also, I wish Boodikka still looked and acted like she did when she first appeared. I really disliked the retcons given to her later on. They took a unique character and made her generic.

Honestly the Corps has so many interesting characters. From a math equation to a virus to a being who could only perceive their surroundings through sound. It's a shame most writers don't really do much with the Corps or GL in general. I would've liked to see more comics like Mosaic or the Alan Moore short stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Nice art by Joe Staton too. I don't know why he change his style so much by the time he got on Guy Gardner. Still liked him but it was like looking at two different people sometimes.
    I was never a fan of Staton. It was passable at first, but then just got more and more cartoony and strange...
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-13-2016 at 02:02 PM.

Thoughts on Edge of Oblivion? I'm not a huge fan of Tom Taylor, but I would love to read a good Corps book. Lost Army didn't hook me, either.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    Thoughts on Edge of Oblivion? I'm not a huge fan of Tom Taylor, but I would love to read a good Corps book. Lost Army didn't hook me, either.
    It was a good first issue is definitely more Corps focused than Lost Army.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

Incredible Member

Sadly haven't picked it up because of the art.

I respect EVS, but I don't think he fits GL at all, which should be slick and clean. Saiz was so perfect. Would rather DC put EVS on something like Constantine, Suicide Squad, Lobo, etc.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    YESSSSSSSS. She shouldn't have died in the first place. That story was terrible and I expected better from Christopher Priest (I think he wrote that one or was it Peter David?)

Also, I wish Boodikka still looked and acted like she did when she first appeared. I really disliked the retcons given to her later on. They took a unique character and made her generic.

Honestly the Corps has so many interesting characters. From a math equation to a virus to a being who could only perceive their surroundings through sound. It's a shame most writers don't really do much with the Corps or GL in general. I would've liked to see more comics like Mosaic or the Alan Moore short stories.
    Agreed on all counts. Didn't care for Katma's death at all (it was in Action Comics Weekly, under Priest I believe), Boodikka's original design was vastly superior to her redesign, and the Corps in general is under-utilized.

The first issue was okay, but it didn't strike me as anything special. EVS's art was nice and I was happy to see Iolande again, if nothing else. I can't help but roll my eyes whenever a Corps member is randomly, easily killed just to show off (or in this case, not) a new villain.

This review summed up some of my beefs nicely:

My biggest problem with Edge of Oblivion #1 is that it is mired in the perpetual loop of sameness that all Green Lantern books have been stuck in since the end of the Sinestro Corps Wars. How many times are we going to see a bunch of Lanterns alternatively standing, floating or fighting around some huge, vaguely perilous cosmic entity? With few exceptions, we’ve gotten that same model for years, whether it was Parallax, the Anti-Monitor, Nekron, Volthoom, Relic or even The New Gods. That slavish commitment to one kind of conflict seems like such a waste of a mythos that lends itself beautifully to multifaceted, character-based storytelling. Again, a more nuanced approach is hinted at here, but it lasts for all of two or three non-consecutive pages, wherein the Lanterns are poised as talking-head set pieces rather than what feels like living, breathing characters.
    http://comicbastards.com/comics/revi...of-oblivion-1/

^ Yes. We've seen so many scenes of a big group of GL's firing their rings at some Big Thing. The GLC is a great concept, but its potential was explored best in stories like "Tales of the Green Lantern Corps" where we were able to focus on one lantern at a time, see their world, explore their history and what their distinct situation was. We got to know them, even in back-up tales. Here, when they're just a big mass of troops, that individuality is all but lost. Perhaps a "GLC" book should go back to exploring individual stories rather than one universal threat after another where each corps member is reduced to a face in the crowd.

Astonishing Member

I thought Edge of Oblivion # 1 was pretty good. Ethan's art isn't my favorite GL art but it does hit the Rebirth nostalgia button in a big way and feels like a full circle/connected thing for DC to do. He's very welcome at least - much like his recent GL fill-in issue. And as a concept man he's still doing pretty great things. I thought the Defenders of the Last City looked great, and fit the general design aesthetic that he established when he first started designing the different rainbow corps.

The secretive villains were creepy and looked like Time Trappers. I was thrilled to see Iolande again, but also Feska and a few others. But Iolande most of all because she and Soranik were always my favorites. I hope this series really chooses to spotlight her because her partner is still off with Sinestro in the proper universe and she's impertinent but good royalty.

Last page gave me feels, especially after last year.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Yes Iolande and Soranik were instant favorites of mine when they were introduced, which is why I was sad when both were basically forgotten in the Corps book until Bunn added Soranik to Sinestro cast (hopefully she'll be restored to Green once everything settles), but I always like Van Sciver on GL.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Well, decided to give EoO a try. Was a decent issue, though it does hit many familiar GLC beats. spoilers:
    RIP Mukmuk. We will never forget your speech bubbles. Or the time you were replaced by a Durlan
    end of spoilers

LMAO you're evil.

Pat Gleason on art <3

Best Corps line up Kilowog is missing thou

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    LMAO you're evil.

Pat Gleason on art <3

Best Corps line up Kilowog is missing thou
    uhmm.. isnt that kilowog right there in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    uhmm.. isnt that kilowog right there in the middle?
    From the Second image .