Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    its ok....I tend to give pilots leeway as they are intended to be a rough draft of what a series is supposed to be

read the first two books, didnt get to the third yet
    Any actors/characters that stood out for you? For me it was Bradleys' Setrakian, who to listen to still reminds me more of him in Game of Thrones, or Broadchurch, than Harry Potter. Very enchanting, a bit mad, dealt with a small threat fairly well, though there still was the risk of he guy shooting him after he let go of the other one. Interesting how he let them steal that radio, or whatever. Am left wondering where things are going to go with him, and if, indeed, this is the end for Astins' Jim Kent allegiance to Thomas Eichorst and the other.

Could indeed come back to bite () him really, though I really wish, with how close they were, catching the actual driver of the coffin, the dog barking, asking him to get out of the truck, all that, they had caught him. Will be interesting to see if that reveal with the worms or whatever comes in handy alone the line, though I think getting that coffin might've been handier.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    I've always loved how GDT pitches his actors high and writes (let's call it this for the sake of) cartoony dialog. He does it in a very deliberate way. It really gives the impression of an older movie, from before when trying to achieve some kind of naturalism (blah!) was paramount. When I was watching The Strain I felt that, despite the slick modern setting, Peter Cushing or Vincent Price could've shown up at any minute. I liked it, is what I'm saying.

... loved that big creature, and his cool coffin! Loved the worms as well - totally disgusting! I was very happy on the monster front.
    I felt the same way..modern setting, but the tone is very old school Hammer vampire film

and Im good with that

Yeah, this was pretty good. Nice atmospheric feel and whilst it wasn't perfect with the introduction to characters not being great, it was strong and I'm looking forward to more. Going to rock.

BANNED

i enjoyed it too.

having read all the books as well as the Dark Horse comic version, i kinda wish now that i hadn't... it kinda sucks that i already know how it all will unfold. oh well...

Astonishing Member

I watched it and I'm getting a little bored with the old cliche that no one believes in the bad thing and the hero has to fight a lone battle (with a Scooby-do pack) against the evil.

Watching the beginning, the idea that such a contagion would be left to one medical examiner to autopsy was silly. All the other agencies would be all over this and the secret would be out quickly. NY might get the Outbreak treatment. BA-BOOM!

So many shows with the dark secret and reveal as their main point. It's getting stale.

I've been eagerly anticipating this show since they started showing promos god-knows-how-long ago.

I enjoyed the pilot a lot, the 2nd episode felt slow to me but did allow viewers to get to know the characters better. The new character of the rat inspector will obviously play a bigger role later, his introduction didn't do much for me here.

Still, I plan to give the show at least a couple more episodes to see if the pace will pick up (I expect it will)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    I've been eagerly anticipating this show since they started showing promos god-knows-how-long ago.

I enjoyed the pilot a lot, the 2nd episode felt slow to me but did allow viewers to get to know the characters better. The new character of the rat inspector will obviously play a bigger role later, his introduction didn't do much for me here.

Still, I plan to give the show at least a couple more episodes to see if the pace will pick up (I expect it will)
    building episode, which I thought was good

now its been a while since Ive read the first book, but I know Vasily Fet was an exterminator, but was he a pest control contractor, hence the badge? or was that added for the show?

BANNED

enojyed episode 2. i noticed the plot already differs a little from the books kinda like The Walking Dead does, which is cool.

Spectacular Member Trusty Mutsi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crossbones View Post
    i enjoyed it too.

having read all the books as well as the Dark Horse comic version, i kinda wish now that i hadn't... it kinda sucks that i already know how it all will unfold. oh well...
    I was just going to ask if anyone recommended skipping the books/comics if I am already watching the show. There's a sale on the Kindle TPBs right now.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

The pacing was a little better in this episode than in the last. Eichorst putting his face on at the beginning of the episode was gross. Great use of a practical special effects makeup. Bolivar's transformation was also pretty graphic. Nice bit of horror at the end of the episode.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

i know i'm not the only one in the universe but i was really looking forward to it but it's been a total letdown for me.

i understand the slow pace is to build the characters which is a technique i'm very fond of and love but with this type of show it overpowers everything. i kind of just sit there without any emotion because i don't care about the characters. nothing has really been given for me to care about them. i can say "oh yeah, that character is doing this" but that's it. nothing really comes out of anything. it has a nice premise but i'll probably end up dropping it. it just isn't for me.

Storm Builder on SHSO Stormhawk's Avatar

I have watched the first two... is this is a Mini-Series right? Not a recurring annual series?

^Series, I believe.

I like how these vampires are basically bugs, a connection Guillermo del Toro first made in Cronos. They're human mosquitos.

BANNED

sadly, i'm not impressed. some of the acting, due to scripting, is painful to watch. it just feels flat. the only thing that will keep me is the carnage.

Quite happy with this show, thank you very much. Nice spin on the usual tropes, and the whole idea that "vampires aren't real, you're crazy" working against them as the infection becomes epidemic.

So, is this going to be close-ended, with a real resolution at the end of this season, or is this just the first season of many?
    I know there was something else here before, but I forgot what it was. Must not have been important.