Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Well to me, I couldn't care less unless I knew the creator to be appalling, I'm reading the books for the characters.
    Ah, but a character is only as good as the creator behind them.

Even Superman was just a first issue once.

BANNED

Well to me, I couldn't care less unless I knew the creator to be appalling, I'm reading the books for the characters.
    Same. And considering there are over 200 DC heroes and villains I can easily call myself a fan of, the fact that most of them are MIA or being used in minor roles while 6 entirely new books are getting launched frustrates me quite a bit. (It'll be less so if the books turn out to be really good, but hey, I still won't be reading them most likely)

Astonishing Member

This sounds like a good place for the Bloodlines mini characters to return. But I doubt DC cares.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Ah, but a character is only as good as the creator behind them.

Even Superman was just a first issue once.
    Which is why them using all this talent and Dan Didio on new characters is... rather annoying.

I mean, look at Slideways, a new kid on the block with inter-dimensional teleportation powers leading into a demons armpit along with school... pardon for asking this, but why not just use Raven when she has all of that already?

BANNED

Which is why them using all this talent and Dan Didio on new characters is... rather annoying.\
    New character = blank canvas to build new mythologies. Let creators run wild. If it's good, then you have a new favorite.

After all, Spider Man as a new character once.

DC is trying to have the cake, share it and eat it:
    1 - They are still heavy on Bat and Super books, for the old fans (and casuals?) and, even so, they are introducing fresh elements to the known duo, like the successful Super Sons.
    2 - They are going great on other media. Forget the movies, that's Marvel turf. See the hubbub around Injustice 2. With a couple of right movements, even Gorilla Grodd will be able to sell comics. Gorilla Grodd. Add the TV series, the Looney Tunes crossover and DC has plenty of ways to atract more readers/consumers.
    3 - and finally, giving us something different, on the spirit of Vertigo of old days. Young Animal and now Dark Matter seem to be the place to get something we don't see o regular superhero genre.

A winning formula, if they can keep the pace and the talent producing good tales
    Favorite books right now: Wonder Woman, Groo, Usagi Yojimbo, Super Sons

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FlictsLantern View Post
    1 - They are still heavy on Bat and Super books, for the old fans (and casuals?) and, even so, they are introducing fresh elements to the known duo, like the successful Super Sons.
    2 - They are going great on other media. Forget the movies, that's Marvel turf. See the hubbub around Injustice 2. With a couple of right movements, even Gorilla Grodd will be able to sell comics. Gorilla Grodd. Add the TV series, the Looney Tunes crossover and DC has plenty of ways to atract more readers/consumers.
    3 - and finally, giving us something different, on the spirit of Vertigo of old days. Young Animal and now Dark Matter seem to be the place to get something we don't see o regular superhero genre.

A winning formula, if they can keep the pace and the talent producing good tales
    Just one important element missing from that formula: B and C listers. Oh sure, some of them are lucky enough to be in a team book, or a media adaptation or two, but with so much attention on the Bat and Super lines, and just in general the more classic DC characters within the main Rebirth line, dozens of beloved characters are being left out to dry.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Didn't Didio said in the summit that they must sell less titles to more people?

That seems like quite the opposite :P

Anyway, Except Challengers and immortal men, no other title has "punch".

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Which is why them using all this talent and Dan Didio on new characters is... rather annoying.

I mean, look at Slideways, a new kid on the block with inter-dimensional teleportation powers leading into a demons armpit along with school... pardon for asking this, but why not just use Raven when she has all of that already?
    I don't find it annoying in the least myself. You may not like the idea of top talent being put on books with new characters but the thing is without some top tier talent those books won't even get anyone's attention at all. Shackling them to subpar creatives certainly won't help the books sell in this market but some top tier talent might at least give these titles better chance.

Anyway, these sound interesting. I'll probably give them an issues at least. (Yes, I'll even give Tynion's book an issue.)
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

BANNED

LOL what a letdown. None of these books will last long and it prevents the creators attached to them from working on more important projects. It's clear the higher-ups at DC still care more about what they want as opposed to what the fans want. So many fan demands and this is what they decide to give us.

I feel like we've been spoiled by the early days of Rebirth and how good we thought DC was becoming. We forgot that they are coming out of one of the worst eras in comics history and still have a lot of progress to make before the DCU is good again.
    Last edited by Atlanta96; 04-20-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Astonishing Member

DC has a too long list of B & C list characters.

I think these new characters will just be added to those already on the shelf.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I think Operation: Needlemove is a clever way of doing new characters.

But the problem is, these (amazing) artists are all '90s stock. So these books already feel like typical products of that time.

Fantastic Member

wow. such an weird move. i feel like so many great artists are going to be wasted.
    put all these artists to books like JSA, Atom. Shazam etc.
    what is the point of this choice? are these books ongoing?
    i don't know what to say. maybe they want to create an image like artist driven line.

Hope this doesn't kill the Rebirth momentum. I don't see any of these lasting long. Better than Marvel's approach, but it's the same mistake: too much all at once. Better to let characters take off organically and then push them with big-name creators rather than try to sell unknown properties solely on the artist (and, well, Snyder).

Hope they have modest expectations for these. Remember when they announced all those minis and then burned them off by binding them into the "Legends" book?

Quote Originally Posted by FlictsLantern View Post

Totally agree. While I'm not really looking to add any new books to my pull-list, I will give these a look. Maybe I'll like one of them enough to add to the list.
    Batman - Daredevil