Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    New character = blank canvas to build new mythologies. Let creators run wild. If it's good, then you have a new favorite.

After all, Spider Man as a new character once.
    You could let them run wild with existing characters if they weren't so terrified of breaking the mold.
    Last edited by Outside_85; 04-20-2017 at 12:09 PM.

Fantastic Member

But isn't it a bit of a waste? I mean these artists may help the sales of many other Dc characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    You could let them run wild with existing characters if they weren't so terrified of breaking the mold.
    Or maybe they can't break the mold. Old characters probably have a ton of do's and don'ts, not to mention a previous story that can be a nightmare to deal with. The worst offender of those, sorry to say, Legion. Sure, now they can say they're inspired by Super Boy - not Clark, but Jon Kent, and so on, so on. Still, not easy.
    This is no excuse for not using newer characters with tons of potential, like Static
    Favorite books right now: Wonder Woman, Groo, Usagi Yojimbo, Super Sons

BANNED

Too many fans won't let them do that. They'll complain that if they had a great idea, but it doesn't match what they think an existing character should be, why couldn't they create their own character to run wild with?

BANNED

why couldn't they create their own character to run wild with?
    I've got no problem with new characters if they're done well. But they should be introduced in other books 1) So more people are exposed to them and can grow to like them, and 2) Because if the character doesn't catch on in their solo book, you've just wasted everyone's time when we could have been getting a book about a character fans love.

A recent, well done IMO example is The Others. There was a storyline in Aquaman about them, and it proved popular enough that they THEN got their own book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    I've got no problem with new characters if they're done well. But they should be introduced in other books 1) So more people are exposed to them and can grow to like them, and 2) Because if the character doesn't catch on in their solo book, you've just wasted everyone's time when we could have been getting a book about a character fans love.
    And this is precisely why the Big Two are so rife with legacy characters and retreads.

Understand what you're demanding and what the consequences are.

I'm quite intrigued, what could be better than these creators being given free reign to create these new characters with the power of DC's promotion machine and current customer base behind them.
    I'll wait for more information before deciding what to pick up.
    As interesting as this looks it is slightly disappointing that out of the titles announced there isn't one female writer or artist on any book, hopefully we'll see a few on the two unannounced books and maybe as colourists on the already announced.
    Monthly: Batwoman, Black Hammer, Black Magick, Detective Comics, Injection, Extremity, Heathen, Lazarus, Monstress, The Old Guard.
    Mini Series: Abbott, Return to Whisper, Songs for the Dead.
    TPB/HC: Animosity, East of West, Invincible, Seven to Eternity, Southern Cross, The Woods.

All this is...... strange for me... Is like go to another Editorial and ignore about all his characters... And all these characters are new?

I think that they are hindering their work
    ... Is more easy restore old things.. The new ideas are better for the Post-rebirth world..

...I will see NEW CHALLENGERS(I like the costume).. and maybe INMORTAL MEN... however, for now I only like that darkseid clone..
    Last edited by adrikito; 04-20-2017 at 01:34 PM.

BANNED

And this is precisely why the Big Two are so rife with legacy characters and retreads.

Understand what you're demanding and what the consequences are.
    I completely understand. Guess what? I'm one of those guys who generally likes Legacy characters more than the people they spawned from.

And just because you're introduced in a mainstream book doesn't mean you have to be a legacy or unoriginal.

I already brought up the Others, but some other great examples are: Traci 13, Black Alice, and Animal Man.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    LOL what a letdown. None of these books will last long and it prevents the creators attached to them from working on more important projects. It's clear the higher-ups at DC still care more about what they want as opposed to what the fans want. So many fan demands and this is what they decide to give us.
    What you want doesn't equal what the fans want. Image has had a ton of success introducing new characters and concepts in recent years. Between Rebirth and the upcoming Metal storyline DC is hot right now. If there is ever going to be a time to introduce new elements to the DCU this is it. They can always bring back the JSA or Legion in a year or so.
    Last edited by RolandGunner; 04-20-2017 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I am still waiting for Abnett to be given the reigns of DC cosmic, since he and Lanning revitatlized my love of Marvel Cosmic, which quickly died after they left. If anyone could revitalize the Vegan System, the Omega Men, L.E.G.I.O.N. , Rann and Thanagar it would be him. It would be nice for the GLC to have something significant to play off of besides other colored corps.
    Motion seconded.
    "For ten dollars Jason Statham will f*** an explosion in slow motion while a Slayer song plays in the background." - Patton Oswalt

Surprised people have issues them trying something new instead of using lower tier characters like Damage. Nice to see them try something new and put big names on it, obviously an artist like Lee will get people in, but no way will he stay on track for a monthly and that will hurt the book if delayed or switching of artist. So a bit tricky to get these books to take off, but I like pushing something new instead of making changes to previous characters that would make people upset.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    I mean, all of these books and Justice League of America were made before a JSA title soooooo, figure that one out.
    Yeah that continues to mystify me too, it's like DC has some kind of weird "break glass in case of emergency" lock on JSA

Well to me, I couldn't care less unless I knew the creator to be appalling, I'm reading the books for the characters.
    That's always been my view as well, I read the books 90% for the characters in the pages. And with the editorial the way it's been at the big two lately, creative teams seem to matter less and less.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RedWhiteAndBlueSupes View Post
    Yeah that continues to mystify me too, it's like DC has some kind of weird "break glass in case of emergency" lock on JSA
    Actually, I think that's what the Watchmen were.

"The MCU is taking off and boosting Marvel's popularity to new heights! Should we bring out the Watchmen?" "NO!"
    "Our sales are at an all time low! Should we bring in the Watchmen?" "Again, no! That's stupid! We're just gonna reboot everything!"
    "People f**king hate the Nu52 and we're creatively bankrupt!" "Bring out the Watchmen!"

But yeah, while I'm anticipating the Legion more, the JSA is still one of my favorite teams, and I really wish they'd just bring them back already. (Though admittedly, I'm kind of dreading the reveal of the new JSA book, because there's a solid chance most of my favorites won't be on the roster.)

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Well this all looks promising I'm not gonna complain yet however I do agree there are so much b and c characters that need to come back out of limbo but it may happen.

Here are some of the concept art for the titles they look awesome http://m.imgur.com/a/yXKGy