Page 47 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Sideways #1 was good! Not a whole lot to add other than it was a well drawn, fun book.

Fantastic Member

So since it seems Jim Lee couldn't even do issue #2 and #3 of Immortal Men, Ryan Benjamin with be doing both of them. Honestly, I don't even know why he tries nowadays. It's not fair to fans nor is it fair to Tynion himself.

Sideways was good. I mean, there's not a ton you can usually do with a first issue, but this set things up pretty well, got the basic origin out of the way, and introduced an interesting threat/presence going forward with the kind of Morrison/Kirby high concept stuff that I just eat up. I enjoyed it a lot, especially for a first issue, and the art cannot be denied.

I think we all expect the majority of these books to fall through within 12-18 months, and most of them probably won't even make it that far. But I'm really hoping Sideways is the exception (along with Terrifics, because how can you not love the hook for that title?) and he sticks around the DCU, even if his solo doesn't. I mean, if nothing else, this kid has "Teen Titan/Young Justice material" written all over him.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'm not afraid for the future of those characters, there is clearly some will to ingrain them in the larger DCU : Damage appeared in Suicide Squad, the events of The Silencer were referenced in issue #12 of Super Sons and since Sideways will delve in the Dark Multiverse with Morrison helping steer this ship, I'm fairly certain he'll be referecned later on.

Or, we could have a repeat of DC's Bloodlines from 25 years ago!

(How many of those characters were just randomly killed off by Geoff Johns in INFINITE CRISIS?)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Or, we could have a repeat of DC's Bloodlines from 25 years ago!

(How many of those characters were just randomly killed off by Geoff Johns in INFINITE CRISIS?)
    Well, Bloodlines did give us Hitman. Here’s hoping at least one of the New Age of Heroes characters/concepts sticks around to become a regular in the DCU.

Not all of these characters are going to catch on. That's just statistics. But I think DC has actually done a really good job building and marketing this initiative. Whether it works or not, we'll know in time, but I think they've done just about everything right here, and I expect at least one of these characters to click with fans.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

I think we all expect the majority of these books to fall through within 12-18 months, and most of them probably won't even make it that far.
    Didn't Snyder confirm that these were all minis, I think in a podcast? Considering how badly Silencer and Damage already did setting the bar for the rest, that's probably for the best.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

The only thing that's been announced as a mini (as far as I know) has been Challengers. I didn't have too high of hopes of the books lasting long anyway when it was announced these would be artist initiated and then the artists started changing after the third issues. Terrifics stands the chance of running longer than the rest I would think though.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    Tynion is one of my favorite writers so i’m definitely getting Immortal Men.
    Same. Even though I don't enjoy cosmic books that much, Tynion, especially in starting things, has so much energy and enthusiasm. And the entry scene in the preview released was really excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    So since it seems Jim Lee couldn't even do issue #2 and #3 of Immortal Men, Ryan Benjamin with be doing both of them. Honestly, I don't even know why he tries nowadays. It's not fair to fans nor is it fair to Tynion himself.
    That was pretty disappointing. Like...I know you're busy with being publisher, but fans want to see your art, and this kind of thing really lets them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Didn't Snyder confirm that these were all minis, I think in a podcast? Considering how badly Silencer and Damage already did setting the bar for the rest, that's probably for the best.
    I've heard that rumor. I don't like the "stealth mini" plan - where they're like "oh, hey, we always intended this to be only one arc" but it's really just lack of sales.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    The only thing that's been announced as a mini (as far as I know) has been Challengers. I didn't have too high of hopes of the books lasting long anyway when it was announced these would be artist initiated and then the artists started changing after the third issues. Terrifics stands the chance of running longer than the rest I would think though.
    I am really curious about the drops. I'm personally hoping that a lot of these titles don't have the catastrophic drops of other lines, because DC has done so many awesome thing - solid paper quality on the covers while keeping it at $2.99, no variants so they have an idea of how this sells without, really promoting the books heavily through back matter pages, tying it into a super popular event without making it necessary to read the event.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Fantastic Member

The sales for the first issues of Damage and Silencer are far from promising... But I hope Sideways and The Terrifics will land in Top25. Also, I am excited about the Challengers mini, but I feel like DC should give Andy Kubert a monthy book.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by madmodpoetgod View Post
    The sales for the first issues of Damage and Silencer are far from promising... But I hope Sideways and The Terrifics will land in Top25. Also, I am excited about the Challengers mini, but I feel like DC should give Andy Kubert a monthy book.
    I don't know why they're far from promising? 30,000, if they can keep sales above 20,000, for a character who is brand new, and with writers who aren't really name brand per se, is pretty solid. Especially without variants.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

First I've heard of any of these being mini's. But it would make some sense if it's true.

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I don't know why they're far from promising? 30,000, if they can keep sales above 20,000, for a character who is brand new, and with writers who aren't really name brand per se, is pretty solid. Especially without variants.
    In my mind, for the current market, anything above 20,000 is still doing okay. But if these suffer the same kind of drop most books do after their first and, to a lesser degree, second issues? Not good.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Most of the books already have plans for second arcs, except for Challengers, which seems to be because Snyder is busy with justice league stuff and a lack of interest in challengers.

With how much Didio is pushing the line and his personal involvement, I could see the books lasting longer than normal DCU books that get low numbers just because they want the characters to succeed. Just like how he keeps publishing some of those hanna barbara books like scooby doo apocalypse even though it has terrible sales.