Page 5 of 59 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Honestly, I'm slightly interested in New Challengers.
    But I'd be more interested if it was a Young Animal title.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Mighty Member

I'm interested in Immortal Men and Challengers. Ill try them all out, because I'm all for new characters and concepts.

i'm happy anytime DC brings back the Challengers of the Unknown. even if they are new characters i'm still interested.

Amazing Member

On the JSA thing: I think they're waiting until The Button story arc finishes before announcing anything, since Jay is on one of the covers. It's also the first major story to properly continue on from Rebirth #1 so it would make sense to get back to some of those plot threads here.

None of these series really grab me right now but I'll wait for actual solicitations and preview pages.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FlictsLantern View Post
    Or maybe they can't break the mold. Old characters probably have a ton of do's and don'ts, not to mention a previous story that can be a nightmare to deal with. The worst offender of those, sorry to say, Legion. Sure, now they can say they're inspired by Super Boy - not Clark, but Jon Kent, and so on, so on. Still, not easy.
    This is no excuse for not using newer characters with tons of potential, like Static
    It only becomes difficult if you, as a writer, allow it. It's no more difficult to write something like the Legion than it is Superman or a new character as long as you think you have a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Too many fans won't let them do that. They'll complain that if they had a great idea, but it doesn't match what they think an existing character should be, why couldn't they create their own character to run wild with?
    There is a point where you just have to ignore fans, and I think that during writing most do just that, because you cannot go anywhere or do anything without someone getting upset by it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    LOL what a letdown. None of these books will last long and it prevents the creators attached to them from working on more important projects. It's clear the higher-ups at DC still care more about what they want as opposed to what the fans want. So many fan demands and this is what they decide to give us.
    Now you get it.

Now you understand what so many have screamed about but were ignored because it was being done to guys like Static & John Stewart.

DC does not like competition. So they get rid of it to make you like what they want you to like.

Thus we have two Wallys.
    A tanking Cyborg book.
    Under-performing Hal Jordan book

Dan said this is being done to get new readers.

So no new reader would be interested in say Tim Drake? Booster Gold? Any of the females in DC SUperheroine Girl's line that do not have solos? Static? Any of the guys on Legends of Tomorrow?

So we get new guys in the hopes to get new readers? Who never heard of these guys to begin with.

Maybe the reason why nobody bought New 52 Static was because of the first time writer/artist who took it over? Cyborg, Katanna & Static's failures all share the same EDITOR.

Who would want to buy Teen Titans from 2009-now? Where it was a death march of killing teens?

ANd what about those folks who got interested in say Cassandra Cain, real Wally & Stephanie Brown & John Stewart-only to be told to get lost because somebody in charge didn't care for them?

It's hard to get interested in Duke Thomas if he barely appears in Batman.

Too much fanboy in charge has screwed over too many characters and still is.

Oh for the guy who said Image does this too. Image is not held hostage by one franchise. The mess you see here and at Marvel does not happen there. Erik Larson can't screw with Sex Criminals or Motor Crush. Nor can Chip make Savage Dragon disappear because he might not care for the character. Everybody has to work together to make Image work.

Same with IDW & Valiant.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Too many fans won't let them do that. They'll complain that if they had a great idea, but it doesn't match what they think an existing character should be, why couldn't they create their own character to run wild with?
    Funny I heard the X-Men fans cry about the Inhumans and that horrible storyline.

Yet WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO keep buying those books? Who made Death of X & Inhumans vs X-Men sell?

Or New 52 Teen Titans. All I heard was how bad that book was but it lasted a long time.

Folks cry about Duke Thomas and have called for boycotts of Batman. Who is still tops in selling at Dc? BATMAN.

These companies don't fear fans who cry and complain but WILL NOT back it up.

Only one book has see fans back up the claim of no support-Hal Jordan & GLC. The John Stewart fans left.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Now you get it.

Now you understand what so many have screamed about but were ignored because it was being done to guys like Static & John Stewart.

DC does not like competition. So they get rid of it to make you like what they want you to like.

Thus we have two Wallys.
    A tanking Cyborg book.
    Under-performing Hal Jordan book
    The Hal Jordan book has the exact same sales that the Green Lanterns book has. The latter is about two non-white characters prominently featured in the Justice League who are NOT taking a backseat to Hal Jordan. Yet, their book is "under-performing", too. Is that because the "main" Green Lantern isn't John Stewart as well?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Only one book has see fans back up the claim of no support-Hal Jordan & GLC. The John Stewart fans left.
    The Van Jensen-written Green Lantern Corps book that starred John Stewart had lower sales than HJ&TGLC now. Seems like the JS fans had "left" back then too, but I'm sure somehow that must have been Hal Jordan's fault as well.

BANNED

Didn't they try a "new approach" right before Rebirth,where creators got to create what they wanted and contuity be damned? That went well didn't it.

Legion
    Young Justice
    JSA
    Shazam
    Etc etc etc

Come on DC,are you a company that wants to actually make $ on books,or just be this "neat" place where ppl get to do their lil fun pet projects nobody asked for.

Hey DC we pay your bills,and we want what we want,so give us what we want

BANNED

The problem with announcements like this is that you just know most of these new characters won't catch on. To make it big in comics a lot of different factors must come into play. Characters must be introduced in the right place at the right time with the right creative team etc etc. I'm not seeing any of that, I see DCYou 2.0. Yes DCYou focused mostly on pre-existing characters but the intent and execution are very similar.
    Last edited by Atlanta96; 04-20-2017 at 03:33 PM.

But are these Dark Matter titles part of the Rebirth launchline? Or are a neutral zone between Rebirth, YA and Hanna Barbera Beyond?

Sideways and New Challengers have my attention. Will definitely check them out.

Love Sideways's costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    The problem with announcements like this is that you just know most of these new characters won't catch on. To make it big in comics a lot of different factors must come into play. Characters must be introduced in the right place at the right time with the right creative team etc etc. I'm not seeing any of that, I see DCYou 2.0. Yes DCYou focused mostly on pre-existing characters but the intent and execution are very similar.
    This reminds me...
    I went to the local comic shop the other day...
    And you know what I noticed?

99.9% of the posters up in the windows were Marvel, and most of them were X-Men related.
    X-Men Prime, X-Men Gold, X-Men Blue, America... and a few others...
    Only one DC poster was up, and it was a generic DC heroes symbols poster (the S-shield, the Bat-emblem, WW-emblem, Flash lightning bolt, GL-ring symbol) with a Rebirth promo image taped to it.

What does that tell you?
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    This reminds me...
    I went to the local comic shop the other day...
    And you know what I noticed?

99.9% of the posters up in the windows were Marvel, and most of them were X-Men related.
    X-Men Prime, X-Men Gold, X-Men Blue, America... and a few others...
    Only one DC poster was up, and it was a generic DC heroes symbols poster (the S-shield, the Bat-emblem, WW-emblem, Flash lightning bolt, GL-ring symbol) with a Rebirth promo image taped to it.

What does that tell you?
    Well my LCS has much more DC promos on display but I get what you're saying. At least I think I do, are you saying that only the A-listers matter at DC?