Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

As a fan of Morrison's Action and Pak/Kuder's Action, I'm glad it isn't part of this character's history. If they aren't going to move forward with that direction, but keeping it in continuity is not only pointless, but detrimental to the Morrison/Pak/Kuder Superman. I wouldn't like it if that Superman grew up to become this Superman.

Even though he kind of is this Superman because of the split/merger and all.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 04-21-2017 at 06:05 AM.

I see MOS isn't there (comic not movie) again, and we are back to elements of the Donnerverse.

Seeing the trunks are nice, plus I've always liked Kelex, even though I ain't crazy over the crystal Fortress.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    As a fan of Morrison's Action and Pak/Kuder's Action, I'm glad it isn't part of this character's history. If they aren't going to move forward with that direction, and keeping it in continuity is not only pointless, but detrimental to the Morrison/Pak/Kuder Superman. I wouldn't like it if that Superman grew up to become this Superman.

Even though he kind of is this Superman because of the split/merger and all.
    I mean, I'm sure we'll see some of these new 52 stories make it into this continuity later on in the issue such as men of tomorrow,superman unchained, events in the justice league book..etc. The stories that will make sense without messing up the new status quo.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I do find it slightly suspicious that the lone clear shot of Supes in the trunks is a tiny panel and virtually every other shot in that scene obscures his trunk area, almost as if the artist and Jurgens staged it that way just in case DC got cold feet at the last minute and decided edit them out. Heck, it could still happen. Remember that one preview of the first issue of the Johns/Romita Superman run and the image of Supes in trunks on the Daily Planet wall in the background? It was gone by the time it was actually published. Not saying it will happen...but I would not be shocked if suddenly that far away shot is reedited/recolored before it hits the shops next week.

Still, if they do indeed stay until publication....perhaps it lends credence to the rumors Jon Bogdanove talked about for ACTION #1000. Perhaps they are returning for real eventually.

As for the rest...meh. I don't hate the helicopter rescue,but like Sacred Knight said, this would have been an opportune time to tip the hat to Byrne and have the Constitution Space Plane or a similar incident herald Supes debut. Oh well. At least it isn't a complete one to one of SECRET ORIGIN.

I DID really like the bit showing Lois coming to Clark's defense from Lombard's prank and her "I Don't like bullies" line. It makes perfect sense why Clark falls for Lois. One thing Jurgens gets better than almost anyone is the Lois/Clark dynamic and what makes their relationship tick.

Also, I too am underwhelmed over the art here. It's not terrible by any means,but to go from Churchill last issue to this...it's kinda jarring.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

The trunks have been around just about the entire time. I can get if the idea is supposed to be that DC for some reason doesn't want him wear them now, but the idea that there was a ban doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I've seen stronger work from Barbieri, but this is solid.
    Barberi was solid with Marvel work. He actually did Superman years back and it.... wasn't as good.

Then last minute rewrites maybe?

These were the same solicits that listed Supewoman #9 as part one of “SUPER WOMEN”, with a completely different story to the one we got this week.
    Well, there was a falling out with Jimenez. I remember Perkins was supposed to be a temp writer, then she turned ongoing. But yeah, whatever it is, something did happen here, and quickly. The variant cover says Barberi, the regular says Churchill.

Fantastic Member

So the trunks were there at the beginning, and Lois names Superman. Their first meeting is reminiscent of what Waid wrote in Birthright. Clark basically became smitten with Lois after she stood up to a bully in that book, too.

It's just great to see the Daily Planet crew, and Clark calling them a new family. I hope the writers utilize all the supporting characters well. Looks like Lombard is no longer a jerk if he goes bowling with Jimmy and Clark now.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeb View Post
    The new costume is the best trunkless version so far, and I like it well enough, but seeing it juxtaposed with the classic does it no favors.
    Yeah I guess Supermans lawyers told him to change it to stop paying royalties lol. But seriously it's a very conscious decision on DC's part to put that in there, I mean good lord they've brought back his marriage and everything, bringing back his classic suit seems mild by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    REAL SUIT REAL SUIT REAL SUIT
    OH YEAH!!! REAL SUIT!!!! It's funny though that they still try and hide his middle section as much as possible though, like it continues to be a tease or something. Ideally it's best that DC not try and get too specific with his history. Just the words "Superman" and "history" in the same sentence turn off people like crazy at my LCS. Just stick SO in there and call it good, retcon in things as creators wish down the road and just never reboot Superman ever again.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Still, if they do indeed stay until publication....perhaps it lends credence to the rumors Jon Bogdanove talked about for ACTION #1000. Perhaps they are returning for real eventually.
    I think it's more and more likely they will. This is a concerted effort to put that stuff back. This is way different then the Planet poster or that time he got his shorts "knocked back on". I think the fact they keep downplaying them just adds to my suspicion that they plan to bring it back.

As for the rest...meh. I don't hate the helicopter rescue,but like Sacred Knight said, this would have been an opportune time to tip the hat to Byrne and have the Constitution Space Plane or a similar incident herald Supes debut. Oh well. At least it isn't a complete one to one of SECRET ORIGIN.
    yeah it's just kind of OK. I mean every Superfan has their favorite Super origin at this point and after a while one just blends into the next.

As a fan of Morrison's Action and Pak/Kuder's Action, I'm glad it isn't part of this character's history. If they aren't going to move forward with that direction, and keeping it in continuity is not only pointless, but detrimental to the Morrison/Pak/Kuder Superman. I wouldn't like it if that Superman grew up to become this Superman.
    That's my opinion as well, keeping that stuff at this point only serves to over convolute his origin. They have to go one direction or the other, that stuff is just too contradictory and just doesn't mesh well with the larger Superman mythos.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    The trunks have been around just about the entire time. I can get if the idea is supposed to be that DC for some reason doesn't want him wear them now, but the idea that there was a ban doesn't make any sense.
    I've bounced around on this, I agree they never really went away, they were there in Adventures of Superman, JMS's Superman Earth one had them. Whatever fallout from the lawsuit, I doubt it affects publishing the back catalog either. Who knows? There's so many provisions in some of these cases, maybe they don't have to pay anything to the heirs unless he wears his classic suit in Action specifically? I definitely think something is/was going on with the lawsuit though, even if it's probably less drastic then some have been lead to believe.

Astonishing Member

Its a nice 'safe' classic take on the origin. Nothing too radical. Superman makes his debut by rescuing Lois. Lois gives him the name 'Superman'. Clark joins the Daily Planet and becomes attracted to Lois. Luthor is pissed with Superman. Etc. etc.

What I'm more interested to find out about is how stuff like the Death and Return of Superman went...or indeed, what happened after Jon's birth.

Wonder if they'll cover Superman's first meeting with Batman...

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Well, the straight up return of the classic suit is pretty surprising, but it goes a long way towards confirming that this Superman will indeed be representing all aspects of his history, even the underoos

While Secret Origin is definitely still the spine for all this, that bit with Lois is pretty much how she was introduced in Birthright, so there's definitely an attempt being made to include elements from everywhere, much like they did with Krypton.

I suppose it makes since to side-step the Morrison origin for the time being, unless that will be referenced as part of the Superman Red/Superman Blue split later in the issue.

Either way, I am pretty impressed with DC's willingness to embrace its past again by finally restoring the classic suit into his history again.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Its a nice 'safe' classic take on the origin. Nothing too radical.
    Given how much the New 52 blew up in their faces, "Safe & Classic. Nothing too Radical" might as well be the subtitle for Rebirth. And the Dark Matter launch appears to be DC's attempt to introduce new ideas and characters without warping their classic characters beyond all recognition, which is clearly what they should have done to begin with.

I still think its goofy for Clark to be head over heels for Lois immediately, but I knew there was no chance of any rivalry and growing pains before getting to really know each other making it into the canon. At least not on Clark's end. Cheesy as all hell but you can't win every battle. And its not like we would have ever got to see such a journey again anyway, so I guess not the biggest of deals in the scheme of things.

And to me, the current suit and the classic suit sharing panels shows just how small the changes really are anyway. Without the armor-ish sheen and lines and collar the New 52 employed, this trunksless costume next to the classic looks similar enough to almost forgo notice. It looks like a completely natural evolution.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-20-2017 at 10:54 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    And to me, the current suit and the classic suit sharing panels shows just how small the changes really are anyway. Without the armor-ish sheen and lines and collar the New 52 employed, this trunksless costume next to the classic looks similar enough to almost forgo notice. It looks like a completely natural evolution.
    Yep, it's literally the same costume but without the trunks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    So the trunks were part of the history. Too bad they still are forced to riff off of the movie to a degree, though. The Constitution rescue was better and would have worked just fine again. There's not a whole lot about the Byrne origin I like anymore, but that was one of them. It was the one Jurgens worked with his entire first run too.

I think the divergent point, where Superman will pinpoint a discrepancy, will be after the wedding when Lois gets pregnant. Then they might do something where for the rest of Rebirth Superman has it in the back of his head wondering if fighting this new threat and winning will erase his son.

Not feeling this art, though.
    if Supes actually winds up on team Manhattan, then the rest of the heroes are screwed.