Thread: Black Panther

Default Black Panther

Why is Black Panther so popular and considered so cool by so many? I have never read a Black Panther comic and I know next to nothing about the character. The only things I know from him come from "Civil War" and I really didn't care for either the movie or the comic. Am I missing out here on a great character? If I wanted to learn more or get into the character, where should I begin or what are some good stories?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmando7 View Post
    Why is Black Panther so popular and considered so cool by so many? I have never read a Black Panther comic and I know next to nothing about the character. The only things I know from him come from "Civil War" and I really didn't care for either the movie or the comic. Am I missing out here on a great character? If I wanted to learn more or get into the character, where should I begin or what are some good stories?
    Stan and Jack created a great character that is finally getting the due that he deserves. Nearly all of the Panther runs have been collected by now. He's a genius ruler of a powerful, technologically advanced country. He's a great H2H fighter and has some very cool tech gadgets.

I would start out reading Christopher Priest's Black Panther and follow that up with Hudlin's run.

Read Priest Complete Collections, Hudlin Complete Collections, Liss Complete Collections, and Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers.

That's basically the "best of".

I like pretty much all the runs, even most of Maberry's, with the only notable exception being Doomwar.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Astonishing Member

And he is one of the first black heroes, or the first Marvel super hero. (i stand corrected) I dont know if that makes him special (then it did, nowadays its pretty normal) but worth mentioning.

Thanks for the help and heads up, comic fans! Gonna be grabbing Priest's 1st graphic novel this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    And he is one of the first black heroes, or the first Marvel super hero. (i stand corrected) I dont know if that makes him special (then it did, nowadays its pretty normal) but worth mentioning.
    First Black super hero ever

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Read Priest Complete Collections, Hudlin Complete Collections, Liss Complete Collections, and Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers.

That's basically the "best of".

I like pretty much all the runs, even most of Maberry's, with the only notable exception being Doomwar.
    This list is perfect for all things Black Panther, furthermore, he is unlike any other hero ever.

He's first and foremost, a Ruler, then he is a hero. Seeing superheroics through this lens is pretty amazing. Hickman really delved into this aspect, especially with T'Challa's rivalry with Namor, to Kings almost on equal footing the former African, Noble, and a genius the latter Atlantian (which can easily be identified as European e.g. Imperialist), ignoble, and brash.

I really hope then in a sequel we get a Panther vs Namor face off.

Incredible Member

That's a dream. Namor vs Panther in a movie. Would love this so much!!