Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    I always heard Simone's run as being the best and Dixon's was kinda "eh"
    I thought Dixon's run was pretty solid, though Simone's run really defined the book .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought Dixon's run was pretty solid, though Simone's run really defined the book .
    Simone's is obviously the best, but I actually prefer Bedard's run to Dixon's. If you're looking for Black Canary stuff, the Dixon run is ALL about her and Oracle, while she barely appears at all in the Bedard run, but for my personal preferences, I enjoyed the art more during Bedard's run, the overall quality of the writing was pretty similar, and the thing that gives it the real edge for me was the massive amounts of DAAAAAARK VENGEAAAAAAANCE!

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    A few years back DC was doing a series featuring pulp style heroes like Doc Savage, the Spirit, Bat Man, etc. It was by Brian Azzerello and Rags Morales ( I was thinking J. G. Jones but I had a brain fart). Anyway, the ads suggested that Black Canary and Rima were going to appear as well. I think it got cancelled before BC showed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I can't get the image to reproduce but here's a link to a blog that has the ad

http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/1161758.html
    I was looking for something else and saw this thread, then saw that the image no longer worked.

I think this might be the one (from a different source):

As for the question the thread raised four years ago, I'd still like DC to try a new Black Canary solo book, though it would really depend on the creative team and the concept of the series.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I think they have to decide who they want her to be.

We have the Dinah who is essentially vigilante/superhero royalty, her mother was a member of the JSA. She's been raised among them her entire life.

We have the singer Dinah who is part of a rock band but also is really into martial arts.

And we have the Dinah who is a bit more low key, fighting street crimes and part of secret organizations.

Incredible Member

The BEST that Dinah has ever been portrayed was Simone’s first BOP run.

The problem with her in GA is she eventually shoved into the damsel in distress role and needs to be rescued by Oliver. It’s terrible.

I’d prefer her in a new solo series or even limited series with Simone as the writer. The character would then be presented well.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I think they have to decide who they want her to be.

We have the Dinah who is essentially vigilante/superhero royalty, her mother was a member of the JSA. She's been raised among them her entire life.
    That was the pre-New 52 version.

We have the singer Dinah who is part of a rock band but also is really into martial arts.
    That was the post-Flashpoint version. The pre-New 52 version(s) apparently no longer existed after Flashpoint.

And we have the Dinah who is a bit more low key, fighting street crimes and part of secret organizations.
    I'm guessing that's essentially the Rebirth + version, but I don't know if anything has been done to really clarify how much (if any?) of her previous versions have been integrated into the "current" version?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

That was the pre-New 52 version.

That was the post-Flashpoint version. The pre-New 52 version(s) apparently no longer existed after Flashpoint.

I'm guessing that's essentially the Rebirth + version, but I don't know if anything has been done to really clarify how much (if any?) of her previous versions have been integrated into the "current" version?
    Yeah but which one would they want to go with for a solo again? We see Canary posters in the background of some comics alluding to her singing career still very much existed.

Yeah but which one would they want to go with for a solo again? We see Canary posters in the background of some comics alluding to her singing career still very much existed.
    Ideally (for me, at least) would be to have the Golden Age original Dinah Drake Lance returned with all her previous history except for the pre-CoIE retcon where daughter Dinah Laurel Lance had lived for years thinking she was her mother (and with ALL of her mother's memories!).

When it comes to Black Canary II (daughter Dinah Laurel Lance), have most of her pre-New 52 past returned, but maybe leave out the wedding and such. You could also maybe merge in some of her New 52 life, like possible past involvement with Team 7 and a career switch to being a singer.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Ideally (for me, at least) would be to have the Golden Age original Dinah Drake Lance returned with all her previous history except for the pre-CoIE retcon where daughter Dinah Laurel Lance had lived for years thinking she was her mother (and with ALL of her mother's memories!).

When it comes to Black Canary II (daughter Dinah Laurel Lance), have most of her pre-New 52 past returned, but maybe leave out the wedding and such. You could also maybe merge in some of her New 52 life, like possible past involvement with Team 7 and a career switch to being a singer.
    For me, those are probably the only elements in Dinah's history that I would absolutely retcon out! The rest is negotiable.

As they say, different strokes...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

If I were running DC (and I shouldn't 'cause I'm too damn old and steeped in nostalgia juices), my set-up for Black Canary would include a few factors:

1) There was a Golden Age Black Canary who was a member of the post-war Justice Society. She got married to her detective boyfriend, had a kid (or more), retired, got old, and died.
    2) The modern day Black Canary is a direct descendant of the original Black Canary (not her daughter, 'cause that seriously doesn't work any more). Owing to residual magics/weirdness the original BC was exposed to during her JSA days, Dinah has a weird Canary Scream power that she can deploy when things get nuts and she needs an AoE attack.
    3) The modern BC took her name/costume to honor her grandmother/great-grandmother/however many greats as the sliding timeline needs.
    4) Personally, I like the idea of BC being in a rock band.
    5) BC is one of the greatest martial arts experts in the world.
    6) Ollie is the romantic endgame, but it's perfectly okay to take a while to get there.
    7) She desperately needs a supporting cast that isn't just other super-heroes. It could just be members of her band.

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    If I were running DC (and I shouldn't 'cause I'm too damn old and steeped in nostalgia juices), my set-up for Black Canary would include a few factors.
    This made me laugh -- probably because I'm the same.

That said, I was thinking that a reworking of her disparate origin stories should incorporate some sense of the original source of her imagery - the rebellious, wayward girl but mix it up with fun super-hero stuff.
    -- Keep the original Golden Age Black Canary as her grandmother. (or great-grandmother depending if the JSA experienced any time shenanigans) Her parents died when she was young, so she spent most of her childhood with the JSA.
    -- She becomes disillusioned after Black Canary I dies tragically somehow, teenage anger and rebellion against the JSA and her heroic legacy takes the form of running away, joining a band. Wildcat manages to track her down, and they maintain a relationship where he teaches her to fight, but gives her enough autonomy so that she doesn't run away again while he tries to keep her from drifting to the dark side.
    -- She spirals out of control anyway,(perhaps after someone else close to her dies) and in a "Nikita" sort of way ends up recruited by Team 7 and does a stint there, essentially working out her anger issues, acquires more skills, but then becomes so put off by all the shadiness that it opens the door for her to actually want to embrace her legacy when the JLA comes around.

All this to say, give her a rougher past where she wasn't groomed to be a hero. The JSA was a part of her past, but she spent a long time on her own making her own way. She's a respected hero now, but there's always a chance that she can backslide if she senses that justice is moving too slowly or that the good fight might not be worth fighting. It's sometimes a struggle for her to maintain a path of heroic virtue. Once Ollie shows up, present them as contrasts where his commitment to heroism and societal good is ingrained in him, but sometimes comes at the expense of personal relations, whereas Dinah is fiercely loyal to those close to her, sometimes making her morally flexible when it comes to the greater good.

Incredible Member

If I were running DC (and I shouldn't 'cause I'm too damn old and steeped in nostalgia juices), my set-up for Black Canary would include a few factors:

1) There was a Golden Age Black Canary who was a member of the post-war Justice Society. She got married to her detective boyfriend, had a kid (or more), retired, got old, and died.
    2) The modern day Black Canary is a direct descendant of the original Black Canary (not her daughter, 'cause that seriously doesn't work any more). Owing to residual magics/weirdness the original BC was exposed to during her JSA days, Dinah has a weird Canary Scream power that she can deploy when things get nuts and she needs an AoE attack.
    3) The modern BC took her name/costume to honor her grandmother/great-grandmother/however many greats as the sliding timeline needs.
    4) Personally, I like the idea of BC being in a rock band.
    5) BC is one of the greatest martial arts experts in the world.
    6) Ollie is the romantic endgame, but it's perfectly okay to take a while to get there.
    7) She desperately needs a supporting cast that isn't just other super-heroes. It could just be members of her band.
    I like this. I like the idea of her touring being cover for secret ops. Like her bus is a regular tour bus by daying, traveling the US from gig to gig, BUT ALSO a transportable superhero lair handled by her bandmates that back her up from the bus. Yeah is it silly/not realistic? Whatever, who cares, comics!

I feel like Dinah has so much going for her and she's clearly a versatile character, so a set up where she gets to engage in a smorgasbord of weird DC corners and locales and characters would be ideal imo.

. . . 2) The modern day Black Canary is a direct descendant of the original Black Canary (not her daughter, 'cause that seriously doesn't work any more). . .
    I'd maybe make Golden Age Dinah/Black Canary an aunt of modern day Dinah's. That way, you don't have to be so specific about how many "Great-" you add in there.
    (My grandmother's sister we called "Aunt Loretta" even though she was really our great-aunt.)

Precedent for switching a direct relative to an aunt would be Peggy and Sharon Carter from Marvel. Back in the 1970s, Peggy was Sharon's older sister, but as time went on they switched their connection to aunt and niece.

Incredible Member

I'd maybe make Golden Age Dinah/Black Canary an aunt of modern day Dinah's. That way, you don't have to be so specific about how many "Great-" you add in there.
    (My grandmother's sister we called "Aunt Loretta" even though she was really our great-aunt.)

Precedent for switching a direct relative to an aunt would be Peggy and Sharon Carter from Marvel. Back in the 1970s, Peggy was Sharon's older sister, but as time went on they switched their connection to aunt and niece.
    Didn't Steve end up having romantic relations with both, though? And even Sharon has been aged (or allowed to age) and deaged. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Didn't Steve end up having romantic relations with both, though? And even Sharon has been aged (or allowed to age) and deaged. Weird.
    What's so "weird" about it?

Cap was involved with Peggy Carter back during WWII.

Cap's involvement with Sharon was decades later, after he had been thawed out, and I don't think he realized the two were related when he first got involved with Sharon.

Also, Peggy was one of those characters tied to a specific time period (1940s / WWII). When Cap first met Sharon Carter (back in 1966), the age difference between Peggy and Sharon was less drastic, so having them be sisters was still reasonable. But as the years moved on and Sharon wasn't tied to the 1960s the same way Peggy was to the 1940s, their family connection had to be changed from "sisters" to something more flexible.