Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Which as we all know, is never going to end well no matter the continuity.
    Pretty much. Honestly, while I've personally liked their interactions in the current GA book, I know a lot of people don't, the ONLY version of these characters I could ever actually see having a healthy and happy relationship, weirdly enough, is their JLU versions. And not JUST because that was the most likable Oli ever written.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Which as we all know, is never going to end well no matter the continuity.
    But still pretty much inevitable .

RE: Dinah's singing career.

Yeah, its painfully on the nose. But so what? It's better than her running a flower shop and offers more narrative options than her running a martial arts dojo. It provides an easy way for her to travel, meet new people (and threats) and establishes a supporting cast with a role and purpose in her life that isnt connected to her life as a superhero. And nothing says she can't still work at and/or own a dojo between recording sessions and tour dates.

Is it supported by her history? Not really, but so what? Its not like Dinah's career is so firmly entrenched she can't do something else. We're not talking about Clark, who's job as a reporter has been a large part of his character for eighty years.

Other than nostalgia and tradition I can't think of a good reason not to explore the concept of Dinah being involved in music. And on their own, tradition and nostalgia aren't good enough reasons for anything.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Dinah was my #2 heroine after WW for... ever? But then she "died" with Flashpoint, and imho hasn't been seen since. Steve Orlando is helping me slowly warm up to her again, but so much damage has been done in the past 5-6 years it's going to take a while.

Oh, and I know I'm probably the only one on the planet, but I'll take Dinah-the-florist over Dinah-the-punk-rocker any day of the week...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post

Oh, and I know I'm probably the only one on the planet, but I'll take Dinah-the-florist over Dinah-the-punk-rocker any day of the week...
    Speaking as someone into punk rock, and not at all into flowers...I actually agree with you completely! IMO, it really was a better fit for her character. (And also because to this day, I think the name "Sherwood Florist" is f**king genius.)

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    Pretty much. Honestly, while I've personally liked their interactions in the current GA book, I know a lot of people don't, the ONLY version of these characters I could ever actually see having a healthy and happy relationship, weirdly enough, is their JLU versions.
    Also the pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths versions, where Ollie wasn't quite as much of a dog sniffing up every skirt he could.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Dinah pre-New52 is my favorite DC character. But no one has gotten her right since. While I appreciate that she's in three books right now (I only read GA and BatBOP) she's still not the same. They have a good idea of the character but neither book captures her spirit (and both rely too much on her Canary Cry and not enough on her martial arts) The best version of Dinah in years was Tom Taylor's in the first two years of Injustice: Gods Among Us. Fortunately he's bringing her back in the new Injustice 2 so this will be my go-to Dinah book for now.

My dream Black Canary solo would be by Tom Taylor and Joelle Jones. (Ollie could be the "supporting character" in that iteration).
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Also the pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths versions, where Ollie wasn't quite as much of a dog sniffing up every skirt he could.
    Yeah, Satellite era Oli was alright.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    RE: Dinah's singing career.

Yeah, its painfully on the nose. But so what? It's better than her running a flower shop and offers more narrative options than her running a martial arts dojo. It provides an easy way for her to travel, meet new people (and threats) and establishes a supporting cast with a role and purpose in her life that isnt connected to her life as a superhero. And nothing says she can't still work at and/or own a dojo between recording sessions and tour dates.

Is it supported by her history? Not really, but so what? Its not like Dinah's career is so firmly entrenched she can't do something else. We're not talking about Clark, who's job as a reporter has been a large part of his character for eighty years.

Other than nostalgia and tradition I can't think of a good reason not to explore the concept of Dinah being involved in music. And on their own, tradition and nostalgia aren't good enough reasons for anything.

I wasn't against the idea of Dinah becoming a singer from the beginning(even though I thought it was a bit too obvious of a move). I gave the title 6 issues and it just didn't hold my interest.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I didn't like her last solo and while I like her in GA I think she doesn't need a solo right now but maybe in the future, she is still one of the better selling female heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
    . . . she is still one of the better selling female heroes.
    Based on what?

I like Black Canary, but I wouldn't necessarily claim she's one of "the better selling female heroes".
    Any facts / numbers that prove that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I wasn't against the idea of Dinah becoming a singer from the beginning(even though I thought it was a bit too obvious of a move). I gave the title 6 issues and it just didn't hold my interest.
    Nothing wrong with that. I'll agree the book wasn't always what it could have been.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Invincible Member

I didn't mind the DC YOU version of BC although I dropped it after about 8 issues. It was really Dazzler series in disguise though ( not a knock I'd like Marvel to revive her ).

I think I'm in the minority but I'm really curious as how the Brian A/Jones version we never got to see in "First Wave" might have turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think I'm in the minority but I'm really curious as how the Brian A/Jones version we never got to see in "First Wave" might have turned out.
    Could you elaborate on this? I feel like this is the first I've heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Could you elaborate on this? I feel like this is the first I've heard of it.
    Remember back when DC briefly got the rights to Doc Savage, and they did a pulp series with him and a few other characters? Dinah was supposed to be involved in that but the whole thing died before she could show up (or maybe before she could get developed properly, I know I read at least a couple issues but dont remember anything about them).

~ Black Panther.