Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Invincible Member

A few years back DC was doing a series featuring pulp style heroes like Doc Savage, the Spirit, Bat Man, etc. It was by Brian Azzerello and Rags Morales ( I was thinking J. G. Jones but I had a brain fart). Anyway, the ads suggested that Black Canary and Rima were going to appear as well. I think it got cancelled before BC showed up.
    Last edited by ed2962; 04-22-2017 at 06:15 PM.

Invincible Member

I can't get the image to reproduce but here's a link to a blog that has the ad

http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/1161758.html

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I can't get the image to reproduce but here's a link to a blog that has the ad

http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/1161758.html

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Huh, funny thing is her costume here looks a lot like her Rebirth outfit, except with a skirt instead of shorts and shorter hair.

What do people like about Black Canary? I've only seen her in Percy's Green Arrow and the new JLA. I don't really have a feel for her character.
    Superhero shows are trash

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    What do people like about Black Canary? I've only seen her in Percy's Green Arrow and the new JLA. I don't really have a feel for her character.
    I love her martial arts skill, her cheer and can-do attitude, and her general bright personality/willingness to help.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

if that's all you've seen, I don't blame you one bit for not getting her, as the last few years have been terrible for BC. She was a great partner and love interest for GA from silver age to N52, and some cool arcs during the 80s Mike grell years.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

The last black canary ongoing was terrible, so no, I don't want a BC ongoing under current editorial.

It's not page count that makes a character good, BC is way better characterized now then when she had an ongoing.

Oh man, The Sprit is one of my all time favs, SO GLAD DC lost the rights to him, he would have been destroyed epicly by the N52/Didio era

Quote Originally Posted by RedWhiteAndBlueSupes View Post
    The last black canary ongoing was terrible, so no, I don't want a BC ongoing under current editorial.
    Sure, the first comic book to feature a recognisable Dinah in four years was terrible. Oh, how I wish that "terrible" could be isolated in laboratory, replicated and injected in its pure form in a future solo title! Who knows, perhaps Fletcher's announcement that a new Black Canary EP with three new tracks will soon be released means that he really wants to keep the dream alive. After the burning disappointments of Simone's second Secret Six run (the horror!) and Rucka's second Wonder Woman run (the boredom!), I still want to believe that his return on a BC title could produce something worthwhile at least and memorable at best.

It's not page count that makes a character good, BC is way better characterized now then when she had an ongoing.
    And where would that be the case? I can concede Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, where the Bensons' writing is admittedly impressing me, but that's it.

Benjamin Percy has abundantly shown that his writing style is antithetical with brilliant dialogue, subtle character interactions and engaging plots, so the idea that there is great character work on Dinah to be found in that book is laughable. Plus the GA/BC romance was reintroduced in such a rushed way that the whole thing stinks of "I had a list of editorial bullet-points to comply with and no desire to put any effort into it".

And in just four issues of JLA the only glimmer of character work I saw was in the sequence between Dreamslayer and the new Ray. From first to last page, I felt that Dinah was just there, little more than a background character with nothing really substantial to add to the mix, flowing along with a plot that was written to reach the happy ending for that happy ending's sake. On the other hand, I felt like that for every character featuring in that title except the aforementioned Ray and since I know Mr. Orlando can do much more than that I hope that we'll see Dinah having some actual relevance in the future, but as things stand now, that's definitely not the case.

Oh man, The Sprit is one of my all time favs, SO GLAD DC lost the rights to him, he would have been destroyed epicly by the N52/Didio era
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but a Spirit title was published by DC in the wake of the First Wave miniseries and ran for 17 issues and was actually pretty good, especially for the backup stories. In fact, that was the second Spirit regular series published by DC, the first spanning the course of 32 issues from 2007 to 2009. So leave the fantasies of DiDio lurking in the woods waiting for the chance to ruin your favourite characters out of this kind of conversations, please.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    After the burning disappointments of Simone's second Secret Six run (the horror!)
    I mean, the first few issues weren't great, but by issue #5, I was really enjoying the book. The art got better, the story got better (By the Strix arc, I'd call it excellent), and Simone definitely understood the characters, which is a good thing because Catman is my all time favorite DC villain, and Black Alice, Strix, and Ralph are all in my top 35 DC heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    I mean, the first few issues weren't great, but by issue #5, I was really enjoying the book. The art got better, the story got better (By the Strix arc, I'd call it excellent), and Simone definitely understood the characters, which is a good thing because Catman is my all time favorite DC villain, and Black Alice, Strix, and Ralph are all in my top 35 DC heroes.
    If you genuinely liked them, I'm happy for you, since that means that you used your resurces (money, time...) for something that ultimately resulted in a gratifying experience for you.

But that's definitely not what happened in my case. So when I think to a writer's successful return on a title which is one of the high points in his/her résumé, Gail Simone and her second Secret Six run isn't the one coming to my mind.

Read Birds of Prey.

Especially Dixon and Simone's runs.

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Read Birds of Prey.

Especially Dixon and Simone's runs.
    I always heard Simone's run as being the best and Dixon's was kinda "eh"
    Superhero shows are trash

I love the issues Ed Benes and Alex Lei did