Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Should the X-men be teachers?

In reading a topic on these forums I came across something I didn't realize they are some fans that hate the idea of X-men being teachers. That never occurred to me because I just thought it was natural fit or progression.Most X-men don't come with classic superhero origins and a large amount of them don't come with usable skill being that most of them start as young students. The Teacher/trainer angle gives them reason come up useful skills for characters when done right. The most useful Jean Grey has been imo is when they made her doctor in the X-men movies she was speaking at UN as a subject expert, She was examining Wolverine when they brought him back, etc. Right now Jean Grey is running around in the X-books healing people's minds and if she had a degree in psychology I don't think I would be seeing the negative reactions I have seen from fans when that plot point comes up.

So what do you guys think do the X-men being teachers take away from the mythos?

I haaaaaaaaate the idea that previous generation of X-Men become the automatic teachers/mentors of the newest batch of Xrecruits. First it dates the teacher generation..which thanks to the sliding scale timeline muddling age continuity. Seems like every member of the previous young Xteam become teachers many of them show no aptitude to be teachers and it kind of kills the whole protect a world that hates and fears them dgen they're just sitting around in a classroom. And lastly it shows how ineffective Xavier dream is, if every generation of his Xstudents are tied to the school teaching other students who then will stay to teach other students etc and not going out and living independent lives in the real world

I don't mind it. I think there are characters that are suited to the role and others that aren't. Those that aren't shouldn't be forced into teaching roles. In fact, my major issue with the "teaching" concept at the Institute has always been that it becomes a place just to shove in Limbo X-Men and it doesn't make any sense, even in a fictional world.

wolverine-school-family-tree.jpg

From this infographic alone: Wolverine, Gambit, Iceman, Chamber, Husk, Frenzy and Doop should never have been on staff. Wolverine, although having years of lived experience, is too volatile to be a teacher. He's literally served as a teacher at the same time he was murdering the X-Men's enemies. Gambit has never shown the inclination, he's a thief and hardly a role model. Iceman is hardly an adult himself, he's got the maturity of a fourteen year old boy. Chamber and Husk are likewise too young. I'm not sure about Chamber but Husk has been canonically 19 since Uncanny X-Men so at most she's 20 (at risk at aging out Cannonball). This is a case of children leading children, some of the NXAX kids are barely younger than them. Frenzy is quite literally a known terrorist, who would leave their children under her supervision? Doop. I think that's all that needs to be said about Doop.

And that's just an example. There are plenty more that should be on that list.

That's before you even raise the concern that very few X-Men have finished a high school, never mind a college, education. What position are they actually in to teach anyone? The idea of them mentoring the students is one thing. The logic of them being allowed to teach anyone by the State of New York, is completely another.

I agree that some are suited to teaching and others not.

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post

That's before you even raise the concern that very few X-Men have finished a high school, never mind a college, education. What position are they actually in to teach anyone? The idea of them mentoring the students is one thing. The logic of them being allowed to teach anyone by the State of New York, is completely another.
    And that is the point of fleshing out process(here some of X-men teachers taken from wiki)

Beast (Dr. Henry "Hank" McCoy) - Vice-Principal; Science and Philosophy professor
    Iceman (Robert "Bobby" Drake) - Senior Staff; Mathematics professor
    Karma (Shan Coy Manh) - Former secretary to the headmaster, former librarian, former French teacher .
    Shadowcat (Katherine "Kitty" Pryde) - Former Headmistress, now Senior Staff; Ethics, Computer Science, and Future History professor

The Wolverine and X-men story was bit tongue and cheek fun story so picking of teachers wasn't based in complete seriousness Gambit teaches Sex ed, Rogue taught Linguistics,etc .Some of it you have ignore if but above I said teachers and "trainers". The trainers part make sense with Cannonball and Northstar being Flight Teachers,Wolverine being a Combat teacher and Cyclops being a leadership and tactics teacher. Once it is understand that their "Mutant learning classes" and "School Education classes". It makes some sense the set up. But what I really want to point out is the 4 X-men above they are what this process looks like at its best. Fleshing out the X-men to have a end goal and get skill goes along to making a better character.The characters that I have here who went college and have degree have skills and traits that can be used in stories.

If it was up to me (you can tell I watch a little to much My Hero Academy) I would set up the X-men when they are at school that they would classes for their abilities separated into three specialites Combat/Support/Rescue and they would have educational speciality as well. So Iceman would be Combat(aka X-men) and Accounting, And setting up like that solves the biggest problem because the students place as support means that they wouldn't become "X-men". I think if used right "Teaching" makes sense in the X-world.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Professor X: No
    Bobby: Yes
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

BANNED

As others have said, the problem isn't the CONCEPT so much as it is the EXECUTION.

Certain characters have no business being in front of a classroom, at least as a full-time job (I could see Logan being a guest lecturer in a history class, for instance, but never a permanent faculty member). The sliding timescale makes this even more problematic because you have characters aging at uneven rates (X-23 is now apparently roughly the same age as some of the New Mutants) or being outright frozen in time, leading to teachers instructing kids who may only be a couple years younger than themselves (there's certainly young teachers out there, but rarely THAT young).

My vision would be no sliding timescale. SOME characters become teachers at the school when they retire from the field, while others go on to occupations outside the school, but could still contribute in other ways.

I do think they should teach at the school. They should also get normal school classes, but also things like medical, technical, scientist matters. Next to that training on fighting skills, power handling, tactics as well as personal coaching, on mental and power developments.

For the school, I think would fit; Xavier, Shadowcat, Beast, Forge, Doc Nemesis, Cecelia Reyes and perhaps Storm.

Iceman, Archangel, Gambit, Wolverine, Bishop, Colossus for fighting skills, tactics and so on.

Rogue, Nightcrawler, Karma and Northstar for coaching

I understand the training / teaching split. And I'm a fan of the concept. At the same time, very few X-Men have the education to teach. So, are the NXAX kids actually leaving the school with a certifiable education? Not in every subject they've taken. The execution is bad, not the concept. Have some be teachers, but every former X-Man isn't a suitable teacher and more than a few aren't even suitable role models.

You don’t think Nightcrawler would be an amazing drama, fencing, dance, and religious history teacher?

They shouldn't all be teachers, but I'd be entirely on board with the senior members moving into that role, satellite teams or civilian life to open up space for the students to graduate into full X-Men.

I don't want MOST of them as full time teachers, especially for standard school subjects. I like this role for a select few. I actually liked Kitty in this role more than as a combat leader.

However, many of the veteran X-Men have unique skills and knowledge that would make them great guest teachers, especially for combat skills. Also I could see some of them taking on an apprentice here or there.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    As others have said, the problem isn't the CONCEPT so much as it is the EXECUTION.

Certain characters have no business being in front of a classroom, at least as a full-time job (I could see Logan being a guest lecturer in a history class, for instance, but never a permanent faculty member). The sliding timescale makes this even more problematic because you have characters aging at uneven rates (X-23 is now apparently roughly the same age as some of the New Mutants) or being outright frozen in time, leading to teachers instructing kids who may only be a couple years younger than themselves (there's certainly young teachers out there, but rarely THAT young).

My vision would be no sliding timescale. SOME characters become teachers at the school when they retire from the field, while others go on to occupations outside the school, but could still contribute in other ways.
    Good overview.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    You don’t think Nightcrawler would be an amazing drama, fencing, dance, and religious history teacher?
    Honestly, I think Nightcrawler would be a good teacher of almost every Art subject --and some Science too (basic Medicine and advanced Mechanics). He's got teaching skills (patience, calm, sympathy for children) and, I suspect, a vaster culture than many X-Men.

And yes, no doubt he's the best dancer.

I honestly think that yes they should be teachers, but like some stated not all of them. That was the whole point of the X-Men from the start. Xavier found students and told their parents he had a special school were they could be catered to and protected.

I see people say that they weren't a school before. That's not true. It just wasn't a tradition school, in the beginning only Xavier was the teacher. But some things to remember, all those years before Mutants were rare. It is only recently that they began to become more common. Some X-Men had to step up in order to accommodate the large influx of students, they didn't need more teachers in the early years cause Xavier could be a teacher to a dozen kids. But when they began to take more students in they had to add more buildings to the property to house them all, the entire operation would have failed if some of the X-men didn't step up. I don't think all the X-Men need to be full time teachers. I also don't think Emma would have made sense coming to the X-men if they hadn't transitioned more into a school.

The school also gives the story the ability to grow. It had more depth and emotion to the story, it puts names and faces to the people the X-men are fighting for. It makes easier for them to keep young mutants safe. You can't have a population settlement without an education system, at least if you want them to grow up to be model citizens. There's a direct correlation to lack of education and crime. Giving these kids a future makes them less likely to become villains.
    Last edited by GigaBalls; 10-02-2018 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post

Certain characters have no business being in front of a classroom, at least as a full-time job leading to teachers instructing kids who may(I could see Logan being a guest lecturer in a history class, for instance, but never a permanent faculty member). The sliding timescale makes this even more problematic because you have characters aging at uneven rates (X-23 is now apparently roughly the same age as some of the New Mutants) or being outright frozen in time, only be a couple years younger than themselves (there's certainly young teachers out there, but rarely THAT young).

Honestly, Logan should just be a trainer for combat and survival, anything else is just weird for me. The guy is a drill sergeant from the army or a black ops operative, what is he going to know about running school?
    Last edited by TheCape; 10-02-2018 at 06:33 AM.