Page 476 of 590 FirstFirst ... 376426466472473474475476477478479480486526576 ... LastLast
Results 7,126 to 7,140 of 8841

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Cameron while early in his career a special effects and production design guy did direct some of Piranha 2 when the original director dropped out during production.
    The very notion of comparing Kinberg to Cameron as filmmakers is just ridiculous.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Sure, bend over backwards for every reasonable point I made. We'll see how much of a dumpster fire this is in the winter. Until then, everyone can feel free to speculate however they so desire.
    Don't worry, the wolverine cinematic universe will soon be over and we'll have some actual X-men for a change

BANNED

Are they reshooting only the third act?

Quote Originally Posted by Raiders View Post
    Are they reshooting only the third act?
    That is the rumor they are using 2 weeks to reshoot some third act stuff. When the film screened the feedback given was the third act wasn't good.

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    Don't worry, the wolverine cinematic universe will soon be over and we'll have some actual X-men for a change
    Lol, Wolverine is dead. He had only a 5 minutes cameo in Apocalypse and won`t be in DP.

Quote Originally Posted by MATBAN View Post
    From what I've hread Kinberg had to step in as director for a lot of x-men apocalypse when Singer was absent on set, he also had to reshoot quite a few scenes for Fant4stic, comparing the two shows he has shown improvement between the two films, hopefully he hasn't stopped continuing to improve.
    Yeah, I share that sentiment. I think Fox went through some behind-the-scenes upheaval in terms of its directors. Singer had a scandal dogging him throughout the production of X-men Apocalypse and the issues Josh Trank had with Fan4stic are well-documented. In that sense, Kinberg has had to pick up the pieces and while there was no saving Fan4stic, I think he made the most out of X-men Apocalypse. Personally, I loved the movie and I don't see why it got so much hate. But I think him directing Dark Phoenix is his way of getting around the complications that have plagued past films. Hopefully, it shows in the final product.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Sophie is easily the least talented actor of the main cast in Game of Thrones(which I love). Sansa is boring and is propped up by intricate storytelling over 70 hours involving many other characters, and amazing costumes/backdrops/etc. Sophie's Jean in Apocalypse was mean and distant, certainly not the Jean we see in the original run or Claremont's earliest issues which precede the Phoenix and Dark Phoenix sagas. I certainly don't care about her, her relationship with Scott(which is non-existent at this point), or the greater team at large, which is crucial to caring about her rise and fall as Phoenix/Dark Phoenix. So, no, nothing on the table, including Kinberg, who has never directed a film before, give me reason to be excited about this film. It's really just a matter of how badly will they butcher one of comic book's greatest stories at this point(again).
    She's nowhere close to what Jean Grey should be, but then again one must remove oneself from the comics entirely to enjoy the Singerverse movies. If you do that, or if the Fox-men were your intro to the mutants then I can see why they are enjoyable to those folks. They aren't bad movies, they are just bad X-Men movies with a few exceptions of course I think we can all agree on.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

An accurate depiction of Dark Phoenix would be unimpactful to audiences after X3 spoiled what made it famous in the first place. Which is that it’s a classic good girl gone bad story. Jean who was the nice but weak X-Man became this uber powerful villian. Problem is that audience already knows Jean is uber powerful and can be evil. So her rise and fall would be as surprising as Erik becoming Magneto at the end of First Class.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 08-13-2018 at 04:39 PM.

I certainly don't care about her, her relationship with Scott(which is non-existent at this point), or the greater team at large, which is crucial to caring about her rise and fall as Phoenix/Dark Phoenix.
    You can make a case about that being crucial to her fall as Dark Phoenix. But her rise as Phoenix? No one cared about her before she was Phoenix. She was a one dimensional and underdeveloped character, who’s backstory wasn’t even told until after she died.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 08-13-2018 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    You can make a case about that being crucial to fall as Dark Phoenix. But her rise as Phoenix? No one cared about her before she was Phoenix. She was a one dimensional and underdeveloped character, who’s backstory wasn’t even told until after she died.
    Jean took a quantum leap to become Phoenix, and then all that power and potential was twisted and corrupted in Dark Phoenix. That sweet girl next door who would pick up a book, serve cake, or sow with her mind became a god-like powerhouse and remade the universe, only to be manipulated by the Hellfire Club in their bid for power, unleashing the dark fantasies within that sweet girl. It's all one story. Movie Jean, especially Sophie's, doesn't work in this context at all, especially since they've always harped on her propensity for evil and great power the entire time.

BANNED

Jean took a quantum leap to become Phoenix, and then all that power and potential was twisted and corrupted in Dark Phoenix. That sweet girl next door who would pick up a book, serve cake, or sow with her mind became a god-like powerhouse and remade the universe, only to be manipulated by the Hellfire Club in their bid for power, unleashing the dark fantasies within that sweet girl. It's all one story. Movie Jean, especially Sophie's, doesn't work in this context at all, especially since they've always harped on her propensity for evil and great power the entire time.
    Comics don't do good girls the way the 60s Jean Grey was a good girl. Women in that era were passive and deliberately given weak powers compared to male counterparts. Originally all the Invisible Girl could do is turn invisible. All of her male teammates had active powers. The Scarlet Witch originally had a weak, controlled hex power, and she was dominated by both Magneto and Quicksilver in those days. The Wasp turned into an INSECT (LOL). Jean was a telekinetic, but a weak one. In the early comics she was shown fainting. Now all that's retconned into her faking it because she thought the boys couldn't handle her powers. Her telepathic powers came/were reactivated later, and then by the late 70s she became Phoenix. By then you had women's liberation around and the industry was starting to show is female heroes as stronger. Wanda was trained by Agatha Harkness and became a powerful witch. The WASP became a bitter fighter and a field leader. Sue ended up the most powerful member of the FF.

So I'm saying in an era where women are now seen as powerful and assertive, you cannot have such a stark transformation and contrast as you did between Marvel Girl and Phoenix. Look at what Jeen has done without the Phoenix.

When Jean volunteered to pilot the shuttle back, she was offering herself for the benefit if her man, and her team. And it was on her terms. In 1976. Scott couldn't stop her. Nor Logan. Nor Xavier. There was really no reasonable expectation that she could survive the solar flare's radiation. Everyone thought it was a suicide mission. It was a heroic sacrifice for the greater good.

Jean didn't know she could do it. And really she couldn't. She was being demolecularized, until the Phoenix Force helped her(at Jean's permission, though. Still on her terms. She cried out for help, and she accepted the help.). Or she tapped into her own potential, whatever. At any rate, she had to take a leap of faith. That's the story. That's why it's good. If she can already one-shot Apocalypse, and she was already having visions before she even hears of Apocalypse, it loses its whole power as a story.

And that's a timeless story. It can happen in the 60's, 70's, or 2019.

Jean took a quantum leap to become Phoenix, and then all that power and potential was twisted and corrupted in Dark Phoenix.
    You're right and that's why that arc was so good. I think we already got the 'leap of faith' in Apocalypse when she lets the Phoenix loose and she's afraid she won't be able to control it. I think Dark Phoenix will be about the aftermath of that, when what she was afraid of comes true. We already got that 'quantum leap' moment and it was underwhelming compared to the comics. I'm still curious to see how the darker part of the story plays out.

As for the story being timeless...some aspects are. Jean's transformation from a mild-mannered girl to most powerful being on the planet isn't timeless. We've established that women can be powerful and assertive. We've seen stories of women coming into their own, we've seen stories of women making it into men-dominated environments. I love these stories but I see them as 'coming of age' movies and I think it's time to tell stories about what happens after that. Dark Phoenix has potential because it can put a woman in a situation where she has to decide between unlimited power and between doing what's right, which is a situation we typically find male characters in.

If she can already one-shot Apocalypse, and she was already having visions before she even hears of Apocalypse, it loses its whole power as a story.
    It’s not like Xavier would have hold back her potential again knowing what would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    It’s not like Xavier would have hold back her potential again knowing what would happen.
    None of that is in the original story, and a lot of that sentiment in the modern comics is actually coming from/reflecting Kinberg's X3 version....