Page 497 of 590 FirstFirst ... 397447487493494495496497498499500501507547 ... LastLast
Results 7,441 to 7,455 of 8841
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I think it would've been better received if it had finally stopped literally repeating the same stuff from previous movies. Heck, if they had just removed the whole Alkali lake nonsense, it would've gotten far better reception.
    I agree, this detour was completely pointless and took away important screen time to develop Apocalypse's agenda and his horsemen. There lies the biggest mistake in this movie for me. They should have pointed out clearly how Angel, Storm, Psylocke, and Magneto represent the victims of human oppression rising up with Apocalypse's help. Mystique and Xavier's dialogue at the mansion is hinting at that (spoiled, privilege mutants do not see the real violence still going on in the world) but it is never clearly shown. After watching it again I realized how Apocalypse is luring his horsemen in with false promises and lies ("saving" vs. "cleaning") and his first action destroying all the weapons in the world could be seen as an action of peace. But it is never really clear...

If they wanted to have a Wolverine cameo so badly, they could have introduced him as a silent henchman of apocalypse in the third act...

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

I think it would've been better received if it had finally stopped literally repeating the same stuff from previous movies. Heck, if they had just removed the whole Alkali lake nonsense, it would've gotten far better reception.
    Back to The Future 2 literally revisited scenes from the first film. This was similarly done with Groundhog Day, Edge of Tomorrow, and Happy Death Day. All four of these films have generally good reception despite repeating stuff because it factors into the plot and are self-aware with characters discussing it. The problem is X-Men: Apocalypse didn’t do the latter.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 09-17-2018 at 10:51 AM.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sublimeclown View Post
    IDK if this has been posted already, but Minka Kelly was shadowing Simon Kinberg on the X-Men: Dark Phoenix set recently, and it SOUNDS like she is talking about the trailer here:

https://twitter.com/BeatFassbender/s...36067959611394
    I have no idea how to respond to this. It's good that she's excited about whatever it is she's talking about, which I hope is the Dark Phoenix trailer, but we'll look pretty silly talking about it if it turns out to be something else entirely.

This take would've been better, too, and I say that as a guy who loves Apocalypse but admits that it definitely has its flaws. I'd have embedded it, but the video's kinda long.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    I agree, this detour was completely pointless and took away important screen time to develop Apocalypse's agenda and his horsemen. There lies the biggest mistake in this movie for me. They should have pointed out clearly how Angel, Storm, Psylocke, and Magneto represent the victims of human oppression rising up with Apocalypse's help. Mystique and Xavier's dialogue at the mansion is hinting at that (spoiled, privilege mutants do not see the real violence still going on in the world) but it is never clearly shown. After watching it again I realized how Apocalypse is luring his horsemen in with false promises and lies ("saving" vs. "cleaning") and his first action destroying all the weapons in the world could be seen as an action of peace. But it is never really clear...
    It’s not just the Weapon X scene but the formation of the X-Men and the Katniss subplot also took attention away from the Apocalypse story.

I think instead of having Apocalypse replace Shadow King and merge that story with the Horsemen arc, they should have been made them into separate films. The first one with Shadow King as the villian and focusing on Xavier creating the X-Men. With the next film being Dark Phoenix with Apocalypse corrupting Jean Grey as a stand-in for Angel as the central Horsemen instead of Magneto.

If they wanted to have a Wolverine cameo so badly, they could have introduced him as a silent henchman of apocalypse in the third act...
    Chris Claremont actually intended for Apocalypse to be behind Weapon X and hinted that Archangel’s wings were made of adamantium. I don’t know why the filmmakers didn’t do that, especially since it seems Sinister is behind Weapon X and his origin is tied to Apocalypse.

We could have actually seen Hugh Jackman in his classic costume like the Horsemen.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 09-17-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    This take would've been better, too, and I say that as a guy who loves Apocalypse but admits that it definitely has its flaws. I'd have embedded it, but the video's kinda long.
    It’s not a bad rewrite but not a good representation of Apocalypse at all. The whole brainwashing the Horsemen into slaves thing is something the 2000s adopted from the inferior 90s animated version of the Horsemen arc. What made comic Apocalypse into a big villian in the first place was that he was a dark messiah archetype that gave the Horsemen what they wanted and the only thing he did to their minds was remove their reservations. Then the horsemen acted according to the subconscious darker side of their personalities.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    It’s not a bad rewrite but not a good representation of Apocalypse at all. The whole brainwashing the Horsemen into slaves thing is something the 2000s adopted from the inferior 90s animated version of the Horsemen arc. What made comic Apocalypse into a big villian in the first place was that he was a dark messiah archetype that gave the Horsemen what they wanted and the only thing he did to their minds was remove their reservations. Then the horsemen acted according to the subconscious darker side of their personalities.
    something what the movie actually showcases quite nicely but not sufficiently. I think they should have clearly showed to the audience that Apocalypse uses his voice to manipulate mutants into submission or manipulated/increased their emotions or something. The last conversation between Magneto and Xavier should have brought this up explicitly. Otherwise it does not make any sense why Magneto just walked away after killing thousands/millions...

something what the movie actually showcases quite nicely but not sufficiently. I think they should have clearly showed to the audience that Apocalypse uses his voice to manipulate mutants into submission or manipulated/increased their emotions or something. The last conversation between Magneto and Xavier should have brought this up explicitly. Otherwise it does not make any sense why Magneto just walked away after killing thousands/millions...
    That’s actually something Xavier would do though. Considering Magneto killed tons of people in Fatal Attaction when he send a massive EMP across the planet, yet became a X-Man later on.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 09-17-2018 at 09:39 PM.

kisberg today instagram

Astonishing Member

That’s actually something Xavier would do though. According Magneto killed tons of people in Fatal Attaction when he send a massive EMP across the planet, yet became a X-Man later on.
    But it's a rather dumb plot point in the comics and it looks even worse in the 'compressed' time scale of the movie (and frankly, comic fans can be too forgiving of stories like that. Where the GA would go what? He just murdered Australia but now he's your friend again? What's wrong with you people?)

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    But it's a rather dumb plot point in the comics and it looks even worse in the 'compressed' time scale of the movie (and frankly, comic fans can be too forgiving of stories like that. Where the GA would go what? He just murdered Australia but now he's your friend again? What's wrong with you people?)
    Strange. Haven’t the general audience been forgiving of Scarlet Witch who unleashed the Hulk on a city to kill innocent people? Nebula in GoTG vol.2 after she helped Ronan in an attempt to destroy a planet? Loki at the end of Ragnarok after what he did in Avengers which the movie referenced several times?
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 09-17-2018 at 10:09 PM.

Spectacular Member

Strange. Haven’t the general audience been forgiving of Scarlet Witch who unleashed the Hulk on a city to kill innocent people? Nebula in GoTG vol.2 after she helped Ronan in an attempt to destroy a planet? Loki at the end of Ragnarok after what he did in Avengers which the movie referenced several times?
    I suppose it feels different in a marvel movie where anything is a joke anyhow...

I suppose it feels different in a marvel movie where anything is a joke anyhow...
    The whole joke thing is such a hyperbolic falsehood with MCU films.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The whole joke thing is such a hyperbolic falsehood with MCU films.
    well,....I disagree though. There are a lot of Marvel movies were the tone does not fit the plot! Thor Ragnarok for example made the destruction of Asgard a big joke. I would prefer if they would find a better balance between humor and death. and Antman 2 was such a mess and unwatchable for me.
    Last edited by Quentin; 09-18-2018 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    kisberg today instagram
    More Nightcrawler can only help. When I look back on all the X-men movies, Nightcrawler was probably the most consistently likeable and comics-accurate character in the entire series. I hope he has a meaningful role in Dark Phoenix.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    More Nightcrawler can only help. When I look back on all the X-men movies, Nightcrawler was probably the most consistently likeable and comics-accurate character in the entire series. I hope he has a meaningful role in Dark Phoenix.
    Pretty sure that's Mystique's hand.