Page 1 of 590 123451151101501 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default X-Men: Dark Phoenix Movie Speculation and News

May as well get the ball rolling with the thread for the next core X-Film. As we all know by now, the next film is apparently subtitled Dark Phoenix, and is scheduled for release on November 2, 2018.

CBR's full release.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Who should be on the roster? Assuming one or two new members join like most previous team films.

My wish list

Professor X
    Moira (Still has 1 film left on contract)

Cyclops
    Beast
    Storm
    Nightcrawler
    Jubilee
    Angel
    Monet

Vs

Dark Phoenix

Well wont a new Dark Phoenix movie be new and exciting. Yawn

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JarOfFlies1 View Post
    Well wont a new Dark Phoenix movie be new and exciting. Yawn
    If the idea of the movie is centered around Jean trying to change the fate she had in the original timeline, then it could work.

Ooh! Cool news

Yeah, I know people are sick of Phoenix at this point or whatever but, dangit, I'd been waiting for the Phoenix do be right for literal decades and that scene in X-Men: Apocalypse was well worth the wait, so I'm glad that they're continuing that plot thread. Hopefully they're really taking the Apocalypse reactions to heart and will double down on the newer, younger cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    If the idea of the movie is centered around Jean trying to change the fate she had in the original timeline, then it could work.
    Except nobody remembers that timeline except Wolverine, who we know isn't going to be in this movie.

I don't think this movie can work thematically, there isn't enough Cyclops/Jean romance set-up and nobody cares enough about any of the new young X-Men Apocalypse mutants to give high stakes.

Really hope Jean's character gets some shine before everything hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Thenames9 View Post
    Except nobody remembers that timeline except Wolverine, who we know isn't going to be in this movie.

I don't think this movie can work thematically, there isn't enough Cyclops/Jean romance set-up and nobody cares enough about any of the new young X-Men Apocalypse mutants to give high stakes.
    Not true.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4dr5x2

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    Who should be on the roster? Assuming one or two new members join like most previous team films.

My wish list

Professor X
    Moira (Still has 1 film left on contract)

Cyclops
    Beast
    Storm
    Nightcrawler
    Jubilee
    Angel
    Monet

Vs

Dark Phoenix
    Isn't Angel meant to be dead?

Quote Originally Posted by JarOfFlies1 View Post
    Isn't Angel meant to be dead?
    He also seemly died in a plane explosion in the original horsemen story. But he came back.

They already established that he had a healing factor in The Last Stand, so that makes for an easily explainable return.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    He also seemly died in a plane explosion in the original horsemen story. But he came back.

They already established that he had a healing factor in The Last Stand, so that makes for an easily explainable return.
    Well that would work for me. Angel should get a chance at being an X-man. I still doubt it will happen. X-films typically kill minor henchmen characters, and they will probably want to bring in some new mutant characters.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

This will be the first film where Jean will be in the top 3 screen time wise!

Three possibly awesome X-Men movies in one year. I have a reason to stay alive a bit longer now.
    I expect New Mutants to be good since the writer/director loves them and knows their history. Deadpool should be good because, well, Ryan Reynolds. Dark Phoenix is the real question mark here. How much of the Saga will they be able to use? I'm hoping for Mastermind and a new Hellfire Club to be responsible for twisting Jean's mind. The Shi'ar are out completely unless Fox wants to take the X-Men down the GotG route... which I think would be a mistake. I just hope Jean divests herself of the Dark Phoenix personality and 'kills' it at the end. I certainly don't want Jean to 'die' at the end, just cleansed. Hell, maybe the Dark Phoenix personality surviving can lead into Sinister and Maddie... and Inferno! I'll stop fanboying now.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

i just want this film to give jean the respect she deserves.
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Despite all the red flags that should be concerning Fox, I'm still trying to remain optimist about the Dark Phoenix film. I would hope they would at least try to stretch it out to two films, but I'm not sure they would go down that route. I can't help but be disappointed by the fact that they are jumping right into the Dark Phoenix as opposed to establishing Jean more as a character. Even in the original trilogy we got to see Jean on the side of good for two films before loosing it in the third, here it seems we're going straight from reintroduction to the character, to her being evil. I know this is all premature speculation, as we know next to nothing about the film other then release date, but hopefully when Fox divulges more info at some point, it'll make me more optimistic.