Page 503 of 590 FirstFirst ... 3403453493499500501502503504505506507513553 ... LastLast
Results 7,531 to 7,545 of 8841
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    ...especially as Mystique does not play such a prominent role in the X-Men anywhere else.
    The story isn't set anywhere else, so I don't see the relevancy.

BANNED

Lol "Time in a Bottle" is playing on tonight's episode of American Horror Story. Meanwhile Quicksilver is getting berated by his grandmother.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Romijn did it best. I hated the helmet hair, but love the design overall. The scales added an interesting visual when she used her power.

Perfection.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I don't view Mystique form the first trilogy to Mystique in the second trilogy to be the same characters.
    That was one of the points of Days of Future Past, wasn't it? That was the pivot point in her life that determined what kind of person she was. In the original trilogy, she kills Trask and becomes a much colder, stoic person, and I'm not surprised Charles wouldn't mention their relationship in the OT because she's a cold-blooded killer. Why would he bring up being raised together, especially when they don't share a single scene in those movies? In the new timeline, Mystique spares Trask and goes through a decade's worth of self-discovery about what kind of person she wants to be, which culminates in her self-realization in Apocalypse.

I get people who don't think Mystique should be such a big part of these movies, but you can't say she didn't have an interesting character arc. I especially like her arc in Apocalypse, in part because it's represented visually as well as through dialogue: she doesn't go blue full-time until the end of the movie when she accepts/takes on the heroic label that was thrust upon her following Days of Future Past. Yeah, Jennifer Lawrence may not've wanted to do that makeup routine all the time, but you can't say that they didn't use that to their narrative advantage.

Beast, on the other hand, should've been blue the entire movie. It really bothers me that he's still doping after DoFP.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    That was one of the points of Days of Future Past, wasn't it? That was the pivot point in her life that determined what kind of person she was. In the original trilogy, she kills Trask and becomes a much colder, stoic person, and I'm not surprised Charles wouldn't mention their relationship in the OT because she's a cold-blooded killer. Why would he bring up being raised together, especially when they don't share a single scene in those movies? In the new timeline, Mystique spares Trask and goes through a decade's worth of self-discovery about what kind of person she wants to be, which culminates in her self-realization in Apocalypse.

I get people who don't think Mystique should be such a big part of these movies, but you can't say she didn't have an interesting character arc. I especially like her arc in Apocalypse, in part because it's represented visually as well as through dialogue: she doesn't go blue full-time until the end of the movie when she accepts/takes on the heroic label that was thrust upon her following Days of Future Past. Yeah, Jennifer Lawrence may not've wanted to do that makeup routine all the time, but you can't say that they didn't use that to their narrative advantage.

Beast, on the other hand, should've been blue the entire movie. It really bothers me that he's still doping after DoFP.
    I agree with everyone you say!

When it comes to Beast, I think it is also important to remember that his mutation was not natural but self-induced. So I could imagine that he understands his blue form as a tragic accident which he tries to hide.

HOWEVER, as a teacher at a mutant academy, I think it is disgusting that he is refusing to be furry at the campus. What is he supposed to teach these mutants if not self-acceptance and self-worth? I'm totally on Mystique's side for refusing to step into this school and I understand why she disagrees with Xavier's and Beast's assimilation practices. The movie should have highlighted this much more and concentrate on the life experiences of Apocalypse's horsemen to do so...but I'm repeating myself here.
    Last edited by Quentin; 09-20-2018 at 06:12 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    I agree with everyone you say!

When it comes to Beast, I think it is also important to remember that his mutation was not natural but self-induced. So I could imagine that he understands his blue form as a tragic accident which he tries to hide.

HOWEVER, as a teacher at a mutant academy, I think it is disgusting that he is refusing to be furry at the campus. What is he supposed to teach these mutants if not self-acceptance and self-worth? I'm totally on Mystique's side for refusing to step into this school and I understand why she disagrees with Xavier's and Beast's assimilation practices.
    To be fair, Beast in the comics is constantly fiddling with his appearance, as well, so it's not too far out of character for Hank in the movies, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post

I never found her character arc in Apocalypse interesting and just wanted her gone.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I never found her character arc in Apocalypse interesting and just wanted her gone.
    I would also disagree that she had so much of an arc in Apocalypse. I think her main arc and development was in Days of Future Past. I think her point of view was the important aspect in Apocalypse. She was the voice of "reason" who showed Xavier that his perspective is deeply entangled with his privilege and wealth. Xavier believed his own progressive narrative of change but completely turned a blind eye on all the suffering mutants are experiences who are not as privileged as he is (like Nightcrawler and Angel being forced to fight for their life and being abducted, or Magneto who experiences police brutality in Poland, or Storm who lives poor in the streets of Cairo, etc. etc.). It is not an arc but an important point of view that helps Xavier to realize his mistakes and that he needs to prepare for battle and become an activist again. Xavier cannot hide within the border of his school. Education is not the answer for anything and if we want social change we have to fight for it.

I also think Magneto comment is quite interesting when Xavier contacts him with Cerebro. Magento says something like, Xavier can read his mind but does not understand his heart.
    Last edited by Quentin; 09-20-2018 at 06:31 AM.

I would also disagree that she had so much of an arc in Apocalypse. I think her main arc and development was in Days of Future Past. I think her point of view was the important aspect in Apocalypse. She was the voice of "reason" who showed Xavier that his perspective is deeply entangled with his privilege and wealth. Xavier believed his own progressive narrative of change but completely turned a blind eye on all the suffering mutants are experiences who are not as privileged as he is (like Nightcrawler and Angel being forced to fight for their life and being abducted, or Magneto who experiences police brutality in Poland, or Storm who lives poor in the streets of Cairo, etc. etc.). It is not an arc but an important point of view that helps Xavier to realize his mistakes and that he needs to prepare for battle and become an activist again. Xavier cannot hide within the border of his school. Education is not the answer for anything and if we want social change we have to fight for it.
    Mystique shouldn't had been the voice of reason IMO. "Police Brutality" Magneto was a wanted criminal who once threatened the world and the death of his wife and daughter was an accident while the police were being attacked by birds caused by Magneto's Daughter.

Spectacular Member

Mystique shouldn't had been the voice of reason IMO. "Police Brutality" Magneto was a wanted criminal who once threatened the world and the death of his wife and daughter was an accident while the police were being attacked by birds caused by Magneto's Daughter.
    you don't even care to have a discussion about this movie...why do we really bother then...let's speak about the movie universe for a moment, I mean, and not about the comic book:

Mystique is a freedom fighter who is looking at humanity from the bottom up. Xavier is a spoiled rich kid who is looking from the top down. Yes, Mystique is perfect to bring up his narrow and biased perspective on the world. Storm actually did the same in a deleted scene.
    Last edited by Quentin; 09-20-2018 at 06:39 AM.

Spectacular Member sublimeclown's Avatar

I never thought it made much sense that Mystique could morph her clothes as well as her body. I understand that she could morph her body to look like she's wearing clothes, but to actually morph real clothes? Maybe she's naked all the time in the comics but she just makes it look like she's wearing clothes.

you don't even care to have a discussion about this movie...why do we really bother...let's speak about the movie universe for a moment, I mean, and not about the comic book:

Mystique is a freedom fighter who is looking at humanity from the bottom up. Xavier is a spoiled rich kid who is looking from the top down. Yes, Mystique is perfect to bring up this perspective.
    Xavier has spent his fortune to help mutants all mutants Mystique doesn't need to teach him anything.

Spectacular Member

Xavier has spent his fortune to help mutants all mutants Mystique doesn't need to teach him anything.
    but his fortune and privilege comes with a narrow worldview. that's the interesting story the movie tells us. He believes in the lie of the United States (and the rest of the world) to be tolerant and progressive although minorities know that this is a false self-image of white progressives.

Mystique on the other hand is on the ground traveling the world and seeing mutants experience of suffering on a daily basis. She is not as trusting when it comes to humanity than Charles is because she knows for example that there are nightclubs where mutants have to fight for their lives for the enjoyment of humans, etc. etc.

The Morlocks also pointed out in the comicbooks that Xavier has a thing for mutants who fit it easily and who look like supermodels...

In the end, Xavier learns from his experiences and realizes that knowledge and education is sometimes just not enough. The X-Men are capable of violence now to fight and protect a world that hates them.
    Last edited by Quentin; 09-20-2018 at 07:07 AM.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Kinberg said that Mystique being the drill instructor of the X-Men was a last minute addition that was originally meant for Wolverine.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimeclown View Post
    I never thought it made much sense that Mystique could morph her clothes as well as her body. I understand that she could morph her body to look like she's wearing clothes, but to actually morph real clothes? Maybe she's naked all the time in the comics but she just makes it look like she's wearing clothes.
    If I remember, in her solo back in the day they mentioned that she's technically always naked.