Page 197 of 590 FirstFirst ... 97147187193194195196197198199200201207247297 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,955 of 8841

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Main characters don't spend 90% of the movie being absent, or die off screen in first 10 minutes, or spend the whole movie basically as a zombie.
    You're literally talking about Rogue in X3. Again, she also did nothing in X2 aside from flying the Blackbird. Cyclops died due to James' schedule.

They were underdeveloped, but definitely not minor characters.

Quote Originally Posted by iByakuya View Post
    You're literally talking about Rogue in X3. Again, she also did nothing in X2 aside from flying the Blackbird. Cyclops died due to James' schedule.

They were underdeveloped, but definitely not minor characters.
    Storm and Cyclops just going by the original trilogy what was their backstory outside of Xavier's students? Did they have family? Cyclops and Storm were pretty interchangeable with any background X-Man Storm more so due to Scott at least having a relationship with Jean. I mean I'd say Iceman got more development than them we met his family and he got two love interest.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    There is 0 reason to think this movie won't mainly be about Jean. Scott is more iffy for sure. Mystique being in the film does not imply major/primary role. Magneto we'll see. Way too pessimistic.

My two cents on Kinberg's quote: It's actually a good thing! It means he recognizes it can't just be a film with special effects it needs a deep emotional core. THat is really what he was saying people. "Grounded" in that sense, of it revolving around humans (or mutants either way) and their relationships and personal dynamics more than "look at this crazy crystal , oh look at that big space ship" etc
    That's how I took it too. He even says what he means by grounded literally in the next sentence.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    That's how I took it too. He even says what he means by grounded literally in the next sentence.
    Agreed. The hubbub surrounding the quote is completely overblown. It would be one thing if it were Christopher Nolan saying he wanted something grounded, as that would essentially mean stripped of anything even remotely fantastical or imaginative, but Kinberg's been involved with a time travel story with shape-shifting killer robots and a story featuring an ancient Egyptian mutant that featured a metal-winged sidekick and a raging firebird. I don't think "out there" material is out of the guy's range.

What it sounded like to me was that the story needs to remain rooted in the struggles and relationships between the characters, as opposed to getting distracted by all the kooky spaceships, aliens and the like.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

BANNED

I think they mean grounded as in making it an emotional story as opposed to an special effects movie.

With that said, this is not good. It continues to show how out of touch Kinberg is. Any savvy comic book movie executive would have known better than to say "grounded." "Grounded" is how we ended up with movies like Last Stand and that last Fantastic Four failure. In comic book world, "grounded" means that they think the source material is for little kids, and that they are embarrassed to be associated with the genre but hey it makes them money so they stick around.

Some characters should be grounded like Batman, Daredevil, Punisher but a story involving cosmetics beings and aliens not so much. I have issues with this film namely the inclusion of Mystique and to a lesser extent Magneto, being one movie over two, the apparent lack of Starjammers so far, and this "grounded" comment worries me a little but very little because there's been a lot of good with the production too.

The casting has been great.

It does sounds like it will be at least somewhat cosmic I hope with Lilandra we see the Imperial Guard maybe a Skrull or two since Marvel and Fox have joint custody.

It does sound like this will possibly be a mix of the Dark Phoenix saga and Trial of Jean Grey which is cool favorite X-Men films have been loosely based off stories over direct adaptations like Logan, DOFP, X2, and New Class which was almost entirely made up for the film outside of Magneto knowing Chuck as young men.

So still very excited for the film.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by iByakuya View Post
    Just because they were underdeveloped does not mean they were not main characters.
    You're...you're seriously pushing this idea?

Seriously?

So another "grounded" DP movie smh let's repeat the mistakes of the past why don't we. Am I wrong for believing Fox just doesn't have the funds to produce this movie how it should be done?

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    My two cents on Kinberg's quote: It's actually a good thing! It means he recognizes it can't just be a film with special effects it needs a deep emotional core. THat is really what he was saying people. "Grounded" in that sense, of it revolving around humans (or mutants either way) and their relationships and personal dynamics more than "look at this crazy crystal , oh look at that big space ship" etc
    I share this sentiment. I think too many people are overstating the importance of the cosmic alien elements of the Phoenix Saga. Yes, those were part of it, but that wasn't what helped make the story so iconic. At the heart of the story was Jean's humanity and her struggle to hold onto it in the face of overwhelming power. That needs to be the core of the story. That was utterly absent from X3. All Jean did in that movie was stand around and look deadpanned. Sophie Turner showed a greater range of emotion in the final battle in X-men: Apocalypse than Jansen got to in all of X3. That, to me, shows that Fox is already following a different path with the Phoenix Force. Granted, X3 set the bar very low, but I like that they're emphasizing the human element of the Phoenix Saga. That's the most important element, more so than any alien race. I bet if Fox did go through with a huge space battle, the same people whining about this news would whine about how there was too much CGI. You just can't win sometimes.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

So we're getting yet another "grounded" x-men film? Yeah I'm really considering passing on this one.

A lower budget...
    a more grounded approach....
    a first time director (and cheaper)....
    One movie instead of two....

It all starts to make sense

Incredible Member StephenFoxMonster's Avatar

Y'all do know the marvel movies that do work have all been grounded for the screen. The first Guardians movie uses comedy and emotion for you to accept the outlandish thing that is happening to Starlord. Just because he used grounded doesn't mean they won't go all out with the cosmic element. They really need to sell Jean going through her change before she goes Dark Phoenix. How that affects the team who don't know how strong she will become and why they need to protect her from Lilandra, who also needs to be grounded in the sense that she just wants to protect her people from the Phoenix.

And we do not know if Jean is going to die in this, so lets relax on that comment. She can just as easily fly off into the stars and come back for the third movie in Sophie's contract.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Calaigah View Post
    ...In comic book world, "grounded" means that they think the source material is for little kids, and that they are embarrassed to be associated with the genre but hey it makes them money so they stick around.
    We'll never know, but I'm almost 100% positive that if Kinberg hadn't used the actual word, someone on this thread would've shoved it into his mouth and complained about it.

At any rate, I do get the reaction to the word in our circle, but I don't think he means it here the way the detractors think he does.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

BANNED

I like most of the X-men movies so 'grounded' isn't a problem for me. Comic DP wouldn't work in the movie verse anyway. Too many missing elements.

BANNED

hahahah Jean, Ororo and Scott main characters in the first trilogy....they aint ever been main characters in this franchise.

As for this story sounds like a clusterfrak....come on they aren't paying JLAW to do nothing.

And the main problem persist I have very little reason to care about Jean's Relationship with anyone on the team at this point.