Page 331 of 590 FirstFirst ... 231281321327328329330331332333334335341381431 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 4,965 of 8841
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    Everything you mentioned could be accomplished via X-Men stories, tbh. Doctor strange didn't give Illyana her magic, the Phoenix isn't dependent on Captain America or whoever for its existence, Storm had been to African and been seen as a goddess long before Marvel stumbled onto the realization that she and BP are both black, etc.

The Shiar and all the other stuff that the X-Men brought could still be there.
    We can tell all X-men stories without Wolverine or Phoenix or Cyclops or Rogue.
    Would this be better?

they always were in the same universe.
    Being in same universe adds depth to some characters and options to all characters.

and it gives best advice to avoid persecution.

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    Everything you mentioned could be accomplished via X-Men stories, tbh. Doctor strange didn't give Illyana her magic, the Phoenix isn't dependent on Captain America or whoever for its existence, Storm had been to African and been seen as a goddess long before Marvel stumbled onto the realization that she and BP are both black, etc.

The Shiar and all the other stuff that the X-Men brought could still be there.
    But it's more fun having them in the same universe for most people. That's why I'm 99% confident that Kevin Feige will orchestrate some way to bring them over, either via some sort of reality merge (Secret Wars) or something a little more personal (some version of House of M / M-Day, which, for the record, gets my vote).

As I've said before, Deadpool already doesn't line up with the rest of the X-films (Colossus, for example, is very different), so if they chose to just set it right after mutants finally make their appearance in the MCU, that little Deadpool/X-Force R-rated corner could technically be retconned to have always been in the MCU. I doubt they will want to really closely tie it to the other films anyway. Just find a way to say it's in the same universe and have the occasional reference or cameo which cements that for viewers. Done.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Marvel Studio’s will probably make an Exiles movie.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 01-16-2018 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I agree it's a good question, but I will never forget when I first heard Winter Soldier drop that "Project Paperclip" knowledge. That's more real and more disturbing than anything Fox has done in their films. And it is beyond partisan politics. Republicans and Democrats, the left and the right, play this game together. That whole film centered around the government(and furthermore, a shadow government...) spying on people, making lists of certain people of interest, and building an array of weaponry that would be capable of taking them out from the sky. I mean, that's right up there with mutant registration and Sentinels.

Civil War pushed it even further with the Accords(basically the Mutant Registration Act) and you had Captain America defy the wishes of the US government and the entire UN and break his team out of the Raft at the end of the movie. So, it's not that the MCU has avoided sticky political situations entirely. Remember, the whole thing started with Iron Man and the military industrial complex. And as we can imagine based on Tony's future visions in Avengers 2 and what looks to be happening in A3/4, the MCU is getting darker.

Yes, the comics have been pretty horrible since the end of Morrison's run, and yes, there are some interesting power players behind the scenes that make it all very strange, but that goes for the entirety of the medium and Marvel specifically. Remember it all started with Timely Comics, and who was their first big player? WW2 propaganda piece Captain America.

So, if you wish to condemn modern comics, or Disney and the MCU, you must also examine the whole medium of comics, and Hollywood as a whole, and the government as a whole, not just since the early 00's, but since the beginnings. And no, it's not a pretty picture when you do that, but, that's where we are.
    Hmm, I dunno, the X-Films' themes of antipathy of both the government and the majority towards the plight of the minority seems more disturbing to me than the government vs. all people themes of the more political MCU films.

And yes, good on those movies for handling issues beyond the partisan system, but that also makes it safer for more people to relate to them. The US government does not gag domestically produced entertainment that critiques its operations (so far) so the risk factor in tackling non-partisan problems is less too than exploring ones that are labelled and marginalized as "leftist", "identity politics", "SJWisms" etc. Civil War's Accords didn't really feel like Mutant Registration because other than Ms. Alfre Woodard (who had a good reason for not buying Tony Stark's hubris) we got no sense of the general public's hate towards the Avengers. The focus was also fairly on powers here, making Wanda and co. more like WMD allegories than discriminated minorities. Since all of the Avengers also had pubic identities save for Spidey who was too late to the game and only appeared as Tony's pawn (with no criticism made by Team Cap or anybody else regarding the wilful child endangerment involved), we also lost the personal angle of the Accords playing havoc with a superhero's identity being "outed" affecting the lives and safety of him/her and their close ones.

BTW on a sidenote, I actually think Iron Man and especially Iron Man 3, ironically the film even MCU fanboys undervalue, was more "ballsier" than Winter Soldier or Civil War for daring to mention Western/American involvement in the shaping and molding of Middle Eastern and radical terrorism.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Hmm, I dunno, the X-Films' themes of antipathy of both the government and the majority towards the plight of the minority seems more disturbing to me than the government vs. all people themes of the more political MCU films.

And yes, good on those movies for handling issues beyond the partisan system, but that also makes it safer for more people to relate to them. The US government does not gag domestically produced entertainment that critiques its operations (so far) so the risk factor in tackling non-partisan problems is less too than exploring ones that are labelled and marginalized as "leftist", "identity politics", "SJWisms" etc.

BTW on a sidenote, I actually think Iron Man and especially Iron Man 3, ironically the film even MCU fanboys undervalue, was more "ballsier" than Winter Soldier or Civil War for daring to mention Western/American involvement in the shaping and molding of Middle Eastern and radical terrorism.
    I don't think so. First Class makes the X-Men basically an offshoot of the CIA. Charles stands up for the soldiers who fired on them and saves them from Magneto. Magneto isn't allowed to actually harm the President or his people(and Trask is thrown under the bus for the Sentinels) in his attack on the White House in DoFP. The city of Cairo is casually destroyed in Apocalypse, but no one seems to mind, desensitizing the audience to destruction in the Middle East.

And while the mutant metaphor is often said to be a stand in for marginalized peoples, and is to a certain extent, gay people can't shoot lasers out of their faces. Black people don't pick up bridges magnetically. Mutants are WMDs. Non-whites, non-heterosexuals, non-capitalists, non-militarists, do represent a threat to the status quo, and there certainly are forces that work to suppress and/or co-opt them in defense of the status quo. Antipathy towards the government is not the central theme in the X-Films, rather, actually, a consistent portrayal of the X-Men working with them and defending them.

Furthermore, the Department of Defense, Pentagon, NSA, and CIA are actually very hands on with a ton of films and television shows, even things you wouldn't imagine necessarily (like Oprah and Cupcake Wars). Any film that uses military themes directly gets an opportunity to actually utilize real military assets(planes, bases, etc), but comes with direct intervention from a military handler, who have sweeping powers to control content/specific wording on set.

"On set at Edwards Air Force base during the filming of Iron Man, there was an angry confrontation between Strub and director Jon Favreau.

Favreau wanted a military character to say the line, ‘People would kill themselves for the opportunities I have’, but Strub objected. Favreau argued that the line should remain in the film, and according to Strub:

‘He’s getting redder and redder in the face and I’m getting just as annoyed. It was pretty awkward and then he said, angrily, “Well how about they’d walk over hot coals?” I said “fine.” He was so surprised it was that easy.’

In the end, this compromised line did not appear in the finished film."

https://medium.com/insurge-intellige...s-36433107c307

And this isn't just a single studio; you can find specific instances of this collusion in both MCU and FoX-Men films, although X-Men:First Class was perhaps the first, most obvious instance of the military sponsoring a film and using it directly as advertisement for its recruitment strategies.

"And that unpleasant reality is one of the reasons why the US Army is increasingly turning to science fiction stories as a recruiting tool.

[CLIP- X-Men: First Class “More Than a Uniform” (2011)]
    Heroes: Ordinary people who discover they can do extraordinary things. With unique talents and strengths, they stand together as an elite class. It’s more than a uniform. It’s a chance to be part of something bigger than you ever imagined. Try it on at facebook.com/goarmy and see exclusive content for X-Men: First Class. Only in theaters June 3. There’s strong, and then there’s army strong.

Science fiction can provide a simple good versus evil narrative, one that appeals to patriotism and a desire to save the world without any association with those real-life military operations and atrocities."

http://popculturedetective.agency/20...fiction-movies

We can bicker about which studio is better than the other, but they all bow down to the military industrial complex.

You are right to bring up Iron Man 3, though. The movie was so bad, I tend to forget it, but it's message about terrorists being fabrications to justify war (fake Mandarin and his produced video messages) ended up being quite prescient when in 2016 reports of hundreds of millions of dollars being spent by the Pentagon commissioning Bell Pottinger to produce "psychological operations"(fake terrorist videos) began to surface. However, I would argue that Project Paperclip is an even bigger truth bomb, as most Americans(and people of the world) don't realize that elite Nazi scientists were brought into the US and actually contributed their techniques and processes, garnered in the death camps and under the Fuhrer, to the development of the various "Alphabet Soup" agencies that sprung up in the post-WW2 period, which would be the foundation of most of the programs you see manifest today.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I don't think so. First Class makes the X-Men basically an offshoot of the CIA.
    They weren’t actually offical X-Men according to filmmakers. Xavier had no plans to form a superhero team after that.

The city of Cairo is casually destroyed in Apocalypse, but no one seems to mind, desensitizing the audience to destruction in the Middle East.
    Xavier seemed to mind in that scene.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    They weren’t actually offical X-Men according to filmmakers. Xavier had no plans to form a superhero team after that.
    Wait, hang on...

It's three movies later and he's still not gotten around to formally do anything of the kind, has he?

Why are they called X-Men movies again?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Wait, hang on...

It's three movies later and he's still not gotten around to formally do anything of the kind, has he?

Why are they called X-Men movies again?
    For the same reason why Origins had X-Men in the title.

Incredible Member StephenFoxMonster's Avatar

When you realize that Mystique and Beast are going to be the ones who came up with and name them the X-Men. Eek.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenFoxMonster View Post
    When you realize that Mystique and Beast are going to be the ones who came up with and name them the X-Men. Eek.
    It was Moria that came up with the name.

Yes. CIA agent Moira.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Xavier seemed to mind in that scene.
    For the same reason why Origins had X-Men in the title.

Ya'llz acting like who came up with the name X-Men is a big deal when ya'll defend MCU benching Janet van Dyne for near 20 films and had another character take her superhero identity despite her being the one who came up with "Avengers" .

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Rewatch the movie. Moria came up with name at the end of the movie when it was over and Charles rejected the idea of a superhero team.

Rewatch the movie. Moria came up with name at the end of the movie when it was over and Charles rejected the idea of a superhero team.
    I didn't deny what you said.