Page 583 of 590 FirstFirst ... 83483533573579580581582583584585586587 ... LastLast
Results 8,731 to 8,745 of 8841
    Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    Same. "Hated and feared" is for a reason. This aint the Avengers.

But yeah, that aside, this sounds good.
    There are still people that fear and hate them as shown in Logan and Deadpool 2. DP2 actually showed both sides.

Its similar to how there are famous gay celebrities but there are still serious homophobia. The world is not black and white.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 10-06-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Incredible Member StephenFoxMonster's Avatar

Same. "Hated and feared" is for a reason. This aint the Avengers.

But yeah, that aside, this sounds good.
    The only reason they did this is because people were complaining about how the Fox-Men treaded the same anti-mutant plot over and over again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by StephenFoxMonster View Post
    The only reason they did this is because people were complaining about how the Fox-Men treaded the same anti-mutant plot over and over again.
    Yeah I know. Loud followers want the same MCU memes over and over because that's popular with the in-crowd right now and anything counter to that may not make as much money as Avengers 6 did.

Hopefully there will still be that element of hated and feared at play in this movie.

Actually, if Jean is gonna freak out and tear stuff up on Earth, that might play into the classic angle more than the previous movies did.

BANNED

Well, they sorta did. Mags, Xavier, Logan, and Mystique all circling the same drain.

Mystique: The most important X-member as brought to you by Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Well, they sorta did. Mags, Xavier, Logan, and Mystique all circling the same drain.

Mystique: The most important X-member as brought to you by Fox.
    Using the same characters is not the same as complaining about the core theme of the X-Men.

Yeah I know. Loud followers want the same MCU memes over and over because that's popular with the in-crowd right now and anything counter to that may not make as much money as Avengers 6 did.

Hopefully there will still be that element of hated and feared at play in this movie.

Actually, if Jean is gonna freak out and tear stuff up on Earth, that might play into the classic angle more than the previous movies did.
    That is what I see happening unless Xavier does something to change it.

BANNED

Using the same characters is not the same as complaining about the core theme of the X-Men.
    No, but that is the result - the story telling seems redundant. Yes, themes can stay the same, but the plot doesn't have to. The characters need not stay stuck in the same flat archs.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    No, but that is the result - the story telling seems redundant. Yes, themes can stay the same, but the plot doesn't have to. The characters need not stay stuck in the same flat archs.
    Flat arcs? You might have a case for Magneto, but Xavier and Mystique no. Say what you will about Mystique alignment, but her arc has been anything but flat. And I honestly have no problem with her leading the X-Men since if we are followjng her arc in the First Class series, she deserves it. Os it something from the comics? No. But there is ton of stuff I can say doesn't happen in the comics that happens in the movies we see.

Flat arcs? You might have a case for Magneto, but Xavier and Mystique no. Say what you will about Mystique alignment, but her arc has been anything but flat. And I honestly have no problem with her leading the X-Men since if we are followjng her arc in the First Class series, she deserves it. Os it something from the comics? No. But there is ton of stuff I can say doesn't happen in the comics that happens in the movies we see.
    Mystique's arc in First Class and DOFP was good but hit the wall hard in Apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Mystique's arc in First Class and DOFP was good but hit the wall hard in Apocalypse.
    Seemed studio mandated. Kinberg wanted it to be Wolverine.

BANNED

I don't need things to be pure to the comics. I've been ok with many divergences from the source material, but I do need key elements of the mythos intact. Having Mystique be the 3rd or 4th most developed character in the XCU is an atrocity. (And, I'd argue, the fifth most is William freaking Stryker. Not Cyclops. Or Kitty. Or Jean. Or Nightcrawler. William Stryker)

What I worry most about with this movie is that it will not feel earned. The reason this Saga was so critical for the X-men, their eventual popularity, and the core of their themes was that it was earned. Jean and Scott's relationship was central to the X-men and their love was central to the story being told. The respect, admiration, friendship, and love their teammates had for them is what turned a good story into an iconic one. Even the damn animated show knew it had to lay the groundwork for years before telling this story.

The XCU? We'll give Cyclops 10 minutes in a muddled movie about Apocalypse, hit fast forward (if the leaks are true), and somehow think we'll establish the same level of investment in the heart of the story. I really, really doubt they can accomplish this. If and when they fail at it, it shouldn't surprise anyone. Their awful plot/character choices to this point put them in an impossible corner to tell this story.

Just like the first time they failed miserably to tell it.

BANNED

People add way more depth to Jott via feelings than what the comics presented.

Jott is the main dude and the only girl that was there at the beginning of the series. The movie can tell you that in 2 seconds and really it's arguable that's all the comics ever said, certainly up to the point where Phoenix happened. It's not as if there was this great arc of growth and change that lead up to the Phoenix Saga.

The movie just has to show them being sappy once before she gets lit up in space and it will have done all the Jott backstory that's needed lol

People add way more depth to Jott via feelings than what the comics presented.

Jott is the main dude and the only girl that was there at the beginning of the series. The movie can tell you that in 2 seconds and really it's arguable that's all the comics ever said, certainly up to the point where Phoenix happened. It's not as if there was this great arc of growth and change that lead up to the Phoenix Saga.

The movie just has to show them being sappy once before she gets lit up in space and it will have done all the Jott backstory that's needed lol
    Yeah, Jean was one-dimensional and underdeveloped character before she became Phoenix. A hollow love interest. Her development didn’t come until after her death.

And you don’t need a character to be around for decades to be invested in them. As proven by The Dark Knight with Harvey Dent.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 10-06-2018 at 08:26 PM.

BANNED

Ah, Harvey.

He was too good for that world.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Yeah, Jean was one-dimensional and underdeveloped character before she became Phoenix. A hollow love interest. Her development didn’t come until after her death.

And you don’t need a character to be around for decades to be invested in them. As proven by The Dark Knight with Harvey Dent.
    Ya just need good writing, good acting, good directing, and some good editing to pull this off, not saying they're succeed just saying it's possible to do so.