Page 6 of 590 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106506 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    It's way too earlier for a film about the Dark Phoenix. We're just meeting Jean she's only had one film in a supporting role I think jumping right into Phoenix or DP is a mistake it doesn't give the audience a chance to care about her or her fate. I hate to be a cynic but FOX continues to rush through characters stories and beats without any real focus or direction, we don't know the team they haven't had the time to grow to care for Jean or the power inside her this is a story that requires time, subtly, and possibly two films.
    No, we are not just meeting Jean Grey. X-Men: Dark Phoenix / Supernova will be the 6th film with the character, and the 5th that has explored her role as Phoenix in some capacity, and 2nd where Phoenix is a featured part of the storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Heres a funny idea, what if Jean goes into the Phoenix Cocoon as Sophie and comes out of it as Famke lol.
    I actually had a bit of a fan fiction idea for how to tackle Phoenix a second time, in which it would take place over 2 movies, the first movie being in the "past" with Sophie Turner, and the 2nd movie being in the "future" with a returning Phoenix played by Famke.

I'm really disappointed they haven't rebooted the Singer-era X-films yet. This just means we're set back that much further.

I wish wish wish WISH Apple would buy Disney and then in turn gobble up Fox's rights and fix this mess.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phoenix View Post
    Honestly as a fan of Jean and the Phoenix Force I am expecting it to suck based on most the Xfilms produced so far.

It needs to be a space opera with the Shair but It will most likely be Jean going multi personality in a series of red dresses or black spandex costumes if Fox keeps it's low standards.
    http://uproxx.com/hitfix/simon-kinbe...ark-phoenix/2/

"I can’t comment on what we’re doing with this next X-Men movie, but I think a way to talk about it potentially, is to talk about X-Men: The Last Stand, and then that being a Dark Phoenix movie that we didn’t get quite right. I think of maybe a few mistakes we made in that movie — and every movie has mistakes — but the main mistake we made in that movie was taking the Dark Phoenix story, which is such a vast and profound saga, and making it the subplot of the movie as opposed to the main plot of the movie. I think if we were to make a Dark Phoenix movie in the future, it would be a Dark Phoenix movie about her struggle, and really should be the A plot and the primary of the movie."

and

http://screenrant.com/x-men-dark-pho...tle-supernova/

Although Kinberg has – along with denying the Supernova title rumors – played down the notion of Apocalypse‘s sequel tackling the Dark Phoenix arc, in which Jean Grey becomes possessed by the all-powerful, genocidal Phoenix force, this title would seem to suggest that’s exactly where the movie’s heading. This isn’t too surprising; Apocalypse already established that Sophie Turner’s Jean was wrestling with some deep, hidden powers which she embraced to defeat En Sabah Nur in the film’s final act, and the suggestion that the team will head to space this go around chimed with the comic source.

It's nice to see Kinburg himself admit the main flaw in X-Men: The Last Stand. The film was about destroying the X-Men as a team and the cure. Jean Grey /Phoenix was a subplot in the film. Not the main plot. X-Men: Dark Phoenix is about Jean/Phoenix as the main plot and about her struggle. The Dark Phoenix saga is what put the X-Men on the map as far as the comics go, and a properly done Dark Phoenix saga would take the X-Men film franchise to the next level.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Franchise408 View Post
    No, we are not just meeting Jean Grey. X-Men: Dark Phoenix / Supernova will be the 6th film with the character, and the 5th that has explored her role as Phoenix in some capacity, and 2nd where Phoenix is a featured part of the storyline.
    Yes. She manifested Phoenix powers in X-2. X-3 Dark Phoenix saga was a subplot. Three films right there. We saw White Hot Room Phoenix in the Wolverine. Then we saw her dressed in red with longer hair in DOFP, so presumably she was Phoenix. And of course she was Phoenix in X-Men: Apocalypse, the first film in which we saw the proper Phoenix effect. 6 films over 17 years means that movie audiences know who Jean Grey is.

Not to mention the fact a lot of people watched the various cartoons.

BANNED

People asking for the shiar to show up just because they were involved in the comics wont make the movie better. It's cleaner if they left them out and focused on the interdyanimics of the team.

This will be better grounded.

Ultimate Member

They've wanted to redo the DPS for a long time now (they're pretty open about TLS messing it up these days). And after what happens at the end of the last movie, I'm not at all surprised that this is where they're going next.

Astonishing Member

How will this movie avoid seeming like a retread of the Last Stand? You only get one first impression and Last Stand ruined that for the Phoenix Saga. I would rather they focus on other things instead.

Ultimate Member

Really easily in fact, it shouldn't be that hard:

-Make it the main plot of the movie, as opposed to a mere subplot.
    -Give it the time/development that it needs.
    -Have Jean actually DOING STUFF as Phoenix, as opposed to just standing around staring for most of the movie.
    -Make Jean more of the focus.
    -Etc.

If anything, looking at TLS's mistakes should make it even easier to no repeat them. Because what NOT to do is already right there for all to see.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post

-Have Jean actually DOING STUFF as Phoenix, as opposed to just standing around staring for most of the movie.
    -Etc.

If anything, looking at TLS's mistakes should make it even easier to no repeat them. Because what NOT to do is already right there for all to see.
    Yeah in theory that is true, but Fox did screw up the FF, their origin and Dr. Doom twice in a row.

Ultimate Member

Different franchise.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Yeah in theory that is true, but Fox did screw up the FF,
    And FoX made the world cry with Logan.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post

-Etc.

Exactly and Kinburg admitted all those were mistakes.

Really and truly Dark Phoenix was such a minor subplot of the film. After killing Cyclops and Xavier at the beginning of the film, she does nothing (and she barely speaks) until the end of the film. This was not a Dark Phoenix saga. There was no Phoenix effect even (well when she flew out of the lake there was a blinding light).

This is in a different era too. Finally with Thor:Ragnarok we see a female villain be the main antagonist that film. X-Men: Dark Phoenix is the first X-Men film to focus on a female character as the main hero or villain or both. The first X-Men film to have a woman's name in the title.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Yeah some people are just like little kids getting distracted by someone shaking keys at them. It is from THE SAME GUY who already totally screwed this up last time so what makes them think this will be any better. Add to that Kinberg wrote the screenplay for Apocalypse which was also a big old pile of flaming garbage. I just don't know what people are getting excited for.

I hope it is good I really do, but Kinberg is poison to this franchise at this point. If it was another writer and director I would be looking forward to this, but not with Kinberg at the helm.
    To give Kinburg credit, DOFP was pretty good. I don't think Kinburg is necessarily a bad writer per say. Fox did not want to focus on a female character for either the main hero or main villain in the LST. They put the Dark Phoenix saga in there as a minor subplot, but that is the studio not Kinburg. On the mediocrity of X-Men: Apocalypse, that is on Kinburg AND Singer. But even there part of the problem is X-Men: Apocalypse tried to stick to Singer's formula of having the main characters be Xavier and Magneto. And the film suffered for it. We barely got to hear the other horsemen speak, and Magneto had a lot to do for someone who is just an underling. But that era is over.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    To give Kinburg credit, DOFP was pretty good. I don't think Kinburg is necessarily a bad writer per say. Fox did not want to focus on a female character for either the main hero or main villain in the LST. They put the Dark Phoenix saga in there as a minor subplot, but that is the studio not Kinburg. On the mediocrity of X-Men: Apocalypse, that is on Kinburg AND Singer. But even there part of the problem is X-Men: Apocalypse tried to stick to Singer's formula of having the main characters be Xavier and Magneto. And the film suffered for it. We barely got to hear the other horsemen speak, and Magneto had a lot to do for someone who is just an underling. But that era is over.
    Xavier and Magneto were not main characters in X1 and X2 though. They had very little screentime.

Apocalypse was meant to be an expansion of Hank's theory in DOFP about time correcting itself. So it's understandable why Magneto had an important role there.

Xavier is unquestionably going to be a main character in DP. He learned about what happened to Jean in the original timeline in DOFP, he tried to do something about it in Apocalypse, and it seems like he is going to fail in this film.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 04-23-2017 at 03:28 AM.