Page 7 of 590 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107507 ... LastLast

Big big big luck to our dear Xmen. Thats all I can say right now
    Last edited by Kurt LeBeau; 04-23-2017 at 04:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Yes. She manifested Phoenix powers in X-2. X-3 Dark Phoenix saga was a subplot. Three films right there. We saw White Hot Room Phoenix in the Wolverine. Then we saw her dressed in red with longer hair in DOFP, so presumably she was Phoenix. And of course she was Phoenix in X-Men: Apocalypse, the first film in which we saw the proper Phoenix effect. 6 films over 17 years means that movie audiences know who Jean Grey is.

Not to mention the fact a lot of people watched the various cartoons.
    Famke Janssen's Jean Grey is now a part of the movie universe's future (but Logan's past). It's too much asking movie audiences to relate to Sophie Turner's Jean through her future adult self played by an actress in movies that came out more than a decade ago.

And cartoons were enjoyed by a much smaller group of people than movie going audiences.

Rogue has the second most screentime in X-Men then Magneto, Storm and Jean outdo Magneto in X-2 but only Wolverine outdid Xavier. They're still main characters unless you consider Wolverine the only main character.

Well we all kind of knew this news was coming. X-men: Apocalypse even set it up with Jean actually showing her Phoenix halo, something that we never saw in X3. Now it's official. Fox is actually going to try and take another stab at the Phoenix Saga. I don't know whether to be hopeful or terrified.

The past few X-men movies have been great so there is some reason for hope. It really does seem that Fox has learned, somewhat, how to handle the characters better. Sophie Turner was definitely a gem in X-men Apocalypse. I think she showed a lot more flare and personality compared to Femke Janssen, who never really got a chance. I think she could definitely carry the story in a Dark Phoenix storyline, but only if Fox avoids the crap that made X3 so unbearable. They didn't just screw up the Phoenix in X3. They completely reversed the most important details that made that story so powerful. Jean didn't sacrifice herself. She was a total coward and made someone else kill her, which absolutely robs that moment of any weight. It also completely abandoned the roles of the Hellfire Club and Cyclops. Those are both extremely important roles. To not have them in a Phoenix story is like trying to have dry water. It just can't work.

If this movie is going to succeed, I think it needs to let Sophie Turner rage out a bit as Dark Phoenix. It also needs to establish a new villain, possibly the Hellfire Club. X-men Apocalypse proved that most movie-going X-men fans are tired of Magneto. They want someone new. Enter Mr. Sinister, who was already teased at the end. He's perfect for a Phoenix story. He already has a history of obsessing over the Summers/Grey bloodline. Making him the new antagonist in a Phoenix story would be a perfect storm of sorts. And there's already one A-list actor who has shown interest in playing that role. Enter Bryan Cranston, the man who made Walter White the ultimate villain for the 21st century. I honestly cannot think of anyone more fit to play Sinister.

With Sinister and a more loyal telling of the Phoenix Saga, I think this movie has so much potential. That said, Fox has a track record of screwing up when it comes to anything that doesn't involve Deadpool or Wolverine. And let's not forget that Fox did everything they could to avoid making a Deadpool movie until Ryan Reynolds forced their hand. So while I'm going to hope for the best with this movie, I'm still going to brace myself for the worst.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Extraordinary Member

I have much higher expectations for New Mutants and Deadpool than for Dark Phoenix. Looking back at the previous 6 movies, while there are parts I enjoy in all of them, the only 1 that I feel really got it right was First Class. Thankfully the spinoffs have a better track record so far,with only the first Wolverine being truly bad.

BANNED

Sounds to me like there is criticism of them bringing that Sophie girl in such a big role. Lol. Not sure she handle the push.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Well we all kind of knew this news was coming. X-men: Apocalypse even set it up with Jean actually showing her Phoenix halo, something that we never saw in X3. Now it's official. Fox is actually going to try and take another stab at the Phoenix Saga. I don't know whether to be hopeful or terrified.

The past few X-men movies have been great so there is some reason for hope. It really does seem that Fox has learned, somewhat, how to handle the characters better. Sophie Turner was definitely a gem in X-men Apocalypse. I think she showed a lot more flare and personality compared to Femke Janssen, who never really got a chance. I think she could definitely carry the story in a Dark Phoenix storyline, but only if Fox avoids the crap that made X3 so unbearable. They didn't just screw up the Phoenix in X3. They completely reversed the most important details that made that story so powerful. Jean didn't sacrifice herself. She was a total coward and made someone else kill her, which absolutely robs that moment of any weight. It also completely abandoned the roles of the Hellfire Club and Cyclops. Those are both extremely important roles. To not have them in a Phoenix story is like trying to have dry water. It just can't work.

If this movie is going to succeed, I think it needs to let Sophie Turner rage out a bit as Dark Phoenix. It also needs to establish a new villain, possibly the Hellfire Club. X-men Apocalypse proved that most movie-going X-men fans are tired of Magneto. They want someone new. Enter Mr. Sinister, who was already teased at the end. He's perfect for a Phoenix story. He already has a history of obsessing over the Summers/Grey bloodline. Making him the new antagonist in a Phoenix story would be a perfect storm of sorts. And there's already one A-list actor who has shown interest in playing that role. Enter Bryan Cranston, the man who made Walter White the ultimate villain for the 21st century. I honestly cannot think of anyone more fit to play Sinister.

With Sinister and a more loyal telling of the Phoenix Saga, I think this movie has so much potential. That said, Fox has a track record of screwing up when it comes to anything that doesn't involve Deadpool or Wolverine. And let's not forget that Fox did everything they could to avoid making a Deadpool movie until Ryan Reynolds forced their hand. So while I'm going to hope for the best with this movie, I'm still going to brace myself for the worst.
    Magneto was the only thing praised in Apocalypse and he wasn't the villiain. Apocalypse proved fans are sick and confused as to how Mystique got so much screen time over anything. Everyone with sense knows that.

oh, and get prepared for Mystique appearing on this again.
    and no, this isnt just speculation. Id leave it at that

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

The only thing I'm hopeful for is that prehaps Jean will be able to make it out of this one alive. Sophie Turner is arguably the most bankable star in the younger cast, and I don't think Fox would want to off her just yet.
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 04-23-2017 at 07:44 AM.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    Magneto was the only thing praised in Apocalypse and he wasn't the villiain. Apocalypse proved fans are sick and confused as to how Mystique got so much screen time over anything. Everyone with sense knows that.
    Actually, Mystique in Apocalypse had less screentime than she did in First Class.

Oh and everyone praised Quicksilver and Mcavoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    The only thing I'm hopeful for is that prehaps Jean will be able to make it out of this one alive. Sophie Tuner is arguably the most bankable star in the younger cast, and I don't think Fox would want to off her just yet.
    yeah. She and Tye Sheridan are looking the more promising from the new roster. Sophie just need another big movie from another studio and she will be set. Tye is leading the new Steven Spielberg movie, so he's on the right path.

My main worry of this movie is how many lines Mystique will steal from Jean, Storm and Jubilee, mainly.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    Actually, Mystique in Apocalypse had less screentime than she did in First Class.
    Xavier, Apocalypse, Magneto, then Mystique. That was the order. She was 4th most in Apocalypse instead of 3rd in First Class. Big difference. And every second on screen in Apocalypse she was being called The Hero this or how everyone looks up to her and lead this and that.

Its time for a completely new top 5 for this movie screentime wise. Hallelujah!

1. Xavier (Unfortunately)
    2. Dark Phoenix
    3. Storm
    4. Cyclops
    5. Quicksilver (Unfortunately)

I can live with this!
    Last edited by ChildOfTheAtom; 04-23-2017 at 07:46 AM.

Screen time doesn't mean jack. What matters is how the movie presents the characters.

Take The Silence of the Lambs as example. How much screen time did Anthony Hopkins got? 20 mins? Less? But do we, as audience, ever feel like he's just in the background? No. Because the movie presents him as an important character.

Same goes with Mystique in X-Men: Apocalypse(in a bad way). Sure, her screen time is less than First Class. But when Storm has a picture of her in her house and calls her a hero...?

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Screen time doesn't mean jack. What matters is how the movie presents the characters.

Take The Silence of the Lambs as example. How much screen time did Anthony Hopkins got? 20 mins? Less? But do we, as audience, ever feel like he's just in the background? No. Because the movie presents him as an important character.

Same goes with Mystique in X-Men: Apocalypse(in a bad way). Sure, her screen time is less than First Class. But when Storm has a picture of her in her house and calls her a hero...?
    Mystique was most likely the first mutant she ever saw. She probably witnessed Mystique, live on TV, stop Magneto (who at this point was a national criminal) from killing innocent people and the President. So why would Ororo consider her anything other than a hero?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HaydnC95 View Post
    Mystique was most likely the first mutant she ever saw. She probably witnessed Mystique, live on TV, stop Magneto (who at this point was a national criminal) from killing innocent people and the President. So why would Ororo consider her anything other than a hero?
    Uh...Ororo would have been 10 years younger when Mystique stopped Magneto. That plus Cairo being in a different time zone, I doubt she watched it live.